1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New hardware soon.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by TechnicalFreak, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Ok, so I was thinking of getting new stuff (hardware) for my system.
    Look to the left to see what my current system is. I'm planning this, because when I get my ASUS case back, I want new and a bit faster stuff in it. Also there is something wrong with this mobo, can't explain it in words. But I need a new one anyway. (Warranty already gone, company I bought from is gone aswell..).

And, yes it will still be an AMD based system..

Motherboard: Asus M4A79 DELUXE
    CPU: AMD Phenom2 X4 920
    Cooling for above: Not a clue..
    Memory: Not sure, but can I use my existing? Read somewhere about "limitations"..
    PSU: Current
    Graphics: Maybe I'll keep the same, maybe I wont.. can't decide right now.

I'm on a tight budget. I do not shop via internet, the price's I have to go after are the ones here in Sweden, and the price on hardware is currently controlled by US$.

So any thought's about the above system? Good? Bad?? I mainly play like CS:S, Q4, car games and not so "graphically enhanced" games..

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Pete1burn

Pete1burn

Thanks Received:
    Interested as well because I'm thinking about the same kind of thing, except I was looking into the M3A79-T with 4GB of OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066.

What does the M4A79 give you over the M3A79-T?

Some of the customer reviews say that you need to update the BIOS to support Phenom X2s, so have a proc on hand just to run the update. I don't have another AM2 proc, so I don't know if that's going to work very well.

3. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    get the Phenom II X4 940 black, nearly the same speed as the i7 and more future proof...
    I'm aalso a ASUS freak :toast:

4. Pete1burn

Pete1burn

Thanks Received: