1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Hardware

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Charper2013, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Charper2013

Charper2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok well.. Heres my situation... I'm recycling my hard drive and im building a new system.. I don't have a way to reinstall windows... and I know I don't 100% HAVE to do it... From when I get my hardware to playing L4D :D what do I need to do... Ive heard go into safe mode and clean drivers.. How do I do that... Help!!!

2. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    you want to reinstall windows? pop-in the windows CD and put you ODD 1st in boot sequence :D

3. Charper2013

Charper2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No... Read it over...

4. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    You could try it with DriverCleaner, but I can't guarantee it will work correctly, plus uninstalling too much stuff might also not be too good.

Download DriverCleaner or whatever other cleaner application. Install etc.

At boot, press F8 to go to the Windows Startup Menu and select Safe Mode.

Run DriverCleaner and clean out all the stuff you're leaving behind.

If there is still stuff left you need gone, go to Device Manager, do a right-click on the device you want to get rid of and select "Uninstall"...

After you're all done, reboot into Safe Mode again, doublecheck, then Shutdown.

Install your HDD in your new machine.

Rejoice :D

5. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    hmm.... my english must be degrading :p sry, don't really understand what you want.... stupid montreal laws forced me into a french school since the past 5 years :(

6. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    He wants to reuse his old HD with windows on it without doing a reformat/OS install.

Persoanally, I don't think it's possible to do without having driver issues. And even at that, the first time windows boots up, it's gonna detect the major hardware change and deactivate.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. fenurch

fenurch

Thanks Received:
    WHAT HE MEANS IS - He can't RE-INSTALL windows but HE wants to use his current Windows that's on his computer now in his new computer

8. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh I get it... thxs you two... buw wouldn't you need similar hardware in that case?
    and Charper... hate to say this but... there are others ways to get any windows at the best price ever... (0$)... hopefully no mods will see this post :p

9. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mods see everything...

And yes, the Windows Feedback Program is an excellent legitimate way to get free copies of Windows :p

10. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Well as I said, you basically have to clean out every single driver connected to your motherboard, and if you're changing other stuff like graphics cards etc. you need to get them off too.

If it is at all possible to migrate your Windows like this, my best guess is to do it in safe mode as I described.