1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new hdd and os question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by farlex85, Jan 3, 2008.

1. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just curious, I am going to invest in a raptor and vista soon, and am not interested in running raid or anything, just want to use my current drive as a storage device and the raptor with the os. So do I just set the raptor to master and storage as slave and be done with it? Or do I need to reformat the current drive to to make sure a clean install is insured? Thanks

2. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Sata drives don`t really use master/slave. After you install to raptor , your os will automatically boot from that install. You can just leave the old install , unless you have some sort of clash with serial nos.

farlex85 says thanks.
  3. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    serial nos? what is that? So it won't matter that xp is installed on that drive, cause i don't wanna dual boot or anything.

4. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would just connect the raptor then install your operating system.. after that connect the other drive.. windows being on the second drive wont mess things up once its installed on the raptor..

u could rename or delete the other windows folder on the storage drive once windows is running from the raptor.. u can also copy over your old desktop files and any bits and bobs from the old windows to the new windows..

it will still all be lurking in your old documents and settings folders on the storage drive..

a lot of games and stuff will still run if u alter the shortcuts.. they dont seem to need connections to the current windows registry.. in fact lots of stuff on the old drive will still run.. some wont..

trog

farlex85 says thanks.
  5. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, that sounds good. However, if I do that, won't the old windows files be taking up space on my storage drive? So as long as I can access anything from the old drive, I can just copy what I want into the new one and then reformat the old one to clean it up, right?

6. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Put the Raptor on port 0 though, otherwise you risk creating a mess. ie OS being on drive 1, drive 0 gets disconnected for whatever reason and the OS looks for the bootsector on drive 0. Quite annoying.

Of course you can always Ghost the old install to the Raptor.

farlex85 says thanks.
  7. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    u can delete the old windows if u want to.. no problem.. just help yourself to anything u might want out of documents and setting before u do..

trog

farlex85 says thanks.
  8. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Serial numbers - i.e. using the same windows disk twice. And why not dual boot ? You can use the second install to test driver updates/new software/game patches etc...

9. Matt18 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would definitely leave the old copy of windows installed. That way if you have any issues w/ vista you can always go back to it(especially if your installing the 64bit vista). I believe there is a way to disable the dual boot option at startup.