1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new hdd wont boot...

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Rol87, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    Hey I got a new hdd and made a copy of it with norton ghost and i wanted to give my old one to my lil bro but when i unpluged the old one the new one would only boot to the screen were its blue and says microsoft xp ect.... not the black screen were xp is loading i have no idea what to try out or do?

thanks

2. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    Did you tell Ghost the new copy is a boot drive? There is a check box/option for this (as I recall from 9 months ago).

3. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    Also, is the old drive removed? XP doesn't like two identical boot disks.

4. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    I cant seem to find it........

5. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    or will i need to plug the new hdd to were the old one was ? will that make a difference ?

6. sam0t New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have had similiar experience as you, made a ghost image of my hdd, swapped the hdd to another manufacturers hdd and copied the ghost image to the new driver. XP refused to boot after this and did a reinstall of OS as saw no other alternative. Today I would do the following:

You should try to put back the old driver, boot up into XP, go to device manager and remove the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller responsible for your hdds. Shut down the computer, change the new hdd in using the same SATA connector as the old driver and try to boot up. This usually does the trick when changing mobo and could help in your situation also.

edit:

If this does not help you might try to load the OS from XP media, enter repair console and input command FIXMBR. Hopefully these two tips do the trick.

7. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    It shouldnt matter if your drive is SATA. If it's IDE, it must go back in the same place (master)

8. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    I forgot to also suggest that when the copy is made, do not do a shut down via windows. Just turn it off with the pwer button, then put the clone in the old drive spot before turning back on.

9. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    nothing seems to work it still only goes to the blue screen were it says micrsoft windows xp its like its waiting for the login to start.......help me

10. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Will the system boot with either hd? (have you tried 1 at a time yet?)

11. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    it only boots with the old one. another thing when both hdd are connected and i boots to the old one and delete a program and then i boot to the new one the program i deleted is also deleted and asks me if i would like to delete the short cut. dont know if that will help.....

12. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    thats why I suggested you power off without a shut down. You cannot keep your clone intact ontherwise. Please try again..

1. make your clone
    2. switch off power as oon as it is finished
    3. remove old drive
    4. put new drive in old drive place
    5. start up, should be all ok??

Another point - Do you have any back ups stored on the drive like a set of recovery disks? This is usually stored in a separate partition on the drive. This will cause the clone to fail. Ghost will only properly copy a drive with one partition so get all that copied off the drive and remove the partition.

13. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    I have tryed the 1-5 steps and nothing I am not sure what you mean by "back ups stored on the drive like a set of recovery disks?"

14. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    Would this be the problem?:confused::confused:

[​IMG]

15. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    IMO norton is a big PITA and often makes bad copies that you only find out are bad after its too late.

try using acronis true image, it lets you check to see that you have a complete working backup image after you make it so you know you have a good backup image.

16. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    I'm not too sure what that second partition is. I can say for certain that the drive I cloned had two partitions (one the main drive c:, the second d: as the system restore) and none of Norton, acronis or paragon would properly work until I removed it.

Do you have any idea where the second partition came from? Can you remove it?

17. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    Should both drives be set to primary?? ive never used this norton ghost thingy?

18. sam0t New Member

Thanks Received:
    It does not really matter if both drives are primary, primary only tells the OS that its a partition in which OS can be loaded. The main problem seems to be something else, aka the BSOD at bootup. When changing mobo usually the BSOD is caused by lack of drivers, this is weird since in OP situation he only changed the HDD and it seems like the MBR is ok too since the the OS starts to load from the new HDD but ends up in a crash.

Did the OP try to remove the IDE ATA/ATAPI controlled from the device manager? You might also turn of native Sata support from BIOS and AHCI too if thats turned on.

ps. Did the OP use bootable ghost cd or the windows version of the software? I have no experience with Windows Ghost as I always use bootable Ghost cd to create my backups.