1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New headphones, earbuds?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by randomperson21, Dec 7, 2006.

1. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heya all,

I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones, most likely an earbud model. These will be used at school and while jogging/working out, but i still want them to sound pretty good. My current headphones are the stenns hd202, which is massive, but it sounds great. not so good for packing around tho...

Problem is, i can't really find any decent earbud headphones. Budget is around $25 + s/h

Currently, my top pick is the stenn Street MX51. they look pretty nice, $20 on newegg.

but if anyone knows of any better ones around that pricerange, i'd love to know. also, input on that model would be great.

thx!
  2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I have sony's they are great, but too much for your budget. The bass on those is not as much as you will like, but...
  3. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    yeah, i figure i'm going to have to make some sacrifices in sound quality to get portability, and i'm willing to do that.

i'm reading some reviews, it sounds like they don't do too hot in the high frequencies, but thats what only a few people are saying.

i'll look into the sony's too.
  4. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    dont senneheiser make some nice in ear buds?
  5. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I like Phillips headphones. The always manage to deliver great sound at a decent price.
  6. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have a pair of Sony Fontopia in-ear headphones (MDR-EX71 i believe) and they have worked fantastically. They are about a year and a half old now, and they still sound great. The cording where it attaches to the bud has started to slip, so you can see a little bit of bare wire, but no big deal. I love the in-ear headphones due to their increase in bass. They almost feel like earplugs; they take a little while to get used to, but they are well worth the money. I got mine shipped around $30.

One complaint is the cord length. The initial cord is too short to have in your pocket while you run (best for an arm strap), but with the extension it comes with, it is wayyyy too long! sony messed up there, but if you plan on jogging/working out with an arm band, the length is perfect.
  7. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    I use philips SBC-HP195 @ home on my rig, they are huge but give pure crisp sound and lovely bass!

I use sony earbuds on my sony walkman, get a very nice sound from them, even in my motorbike helmet hurtling along lol

:rockout:
  8. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Koss KSC-75

AMAZING sound, especially the bass. They hit deeper than even the Senn hd202 (I have those too). Just google KSC-75 and you will find audiophiles creaming themselves over them.
  9. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I bought my headphones at CVS for $10, as you can tell I'm no audiophile :laugh:.
  10. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    thx for all the input guys.

i agree with you wazzle, the ksc-75's are legendary. also, the ksc-55's are the streetstyle version of the 75's (same drivers) and are supposted to have pretty good sound too.
    i'm considering the ksc-55 (i can't stand clip-ons, so the 75's are out) and i'd definately go with that if i were getting streetstyles. but i wanted to look at what i could get for earbuds too.

i've heard some good things about sony, so i'll check them out too. i've heard nothing about philips tho..

as for cvs.... no way.
  11. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    anyone know if the ksc-55 is even being made anymore? i can't really find anyone who sells it. i know newegg had it like a month ago, but it dissapeared. same with a few other websites i've found.
  12. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
  13. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Amazing here:
    http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^eb^SPARKPLUG

For the price it's awesome, and it fits snug and comfortable in your ear...nice bass too, and PC Magazine had a great review of it. My friend had these, and I just borrowed it forever since they're so great, and better than the iPod's earphones IMO, but the other members also showed some great ear/headphones as well.
  14. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
  15. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    wow those koss phones look awesome. like mini-speaker earplugs. i'm assuming you get little leakage with that... also, does it seal out some sound?
    those fontopia's look good too.

i'm going to read some reviews on both. thanks a ton guys! those both look a consiterable bit better than the mx51's i was thinking of.
  16. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    after reading some reviews, i'm thinking the koss's aren't so awesome as i thought they were. sort of like overglorified earplugs.... hmm. i need something a bit more sturdy than that.

the sony's are actually looking pretty schweet. only real problem seems to be weak insulation and cabling, but that might have been fixed.....
  17. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    It hasnt. Go check out the Amazon reviews, Sony is notorious for quality control problems.
  18. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    ah. hmm. now i really don't know. i just don't.

thinking now more between the mx51's and the sony's. i really like the koss but i think it'll interfere with my glasses. which isn't good.
  19. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I heard these have good bass, for earbuds, but try them on first in the store :) they let you do that at futureshop.
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10073632&catid=

I use these sonys, they have very good bass but are behind the neck and can get uncomfortable after long peirods of use.
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10014532&catid=
    Sony has some very nice clip-ons.. theses are the smaller than the ones I had before, I wouldent get these but if you find the bigger ones they are worth getting for sure $44 can.
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10027999&catid=
  20. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    with Sony Fontopia Headphones, you could just put a dab of superglue where the cord meets the earbud. No more rippage! I guess Sony should have been smarter in the first place, but its an easy fix.
  21. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Too bad your budget isn't $100, Shure EC-3 sound great.
  22. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    i actually use a pair of plantronics gamecom 1 phones for my pc.and sony bud ones for my mp3 player.
  23. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    oh! so the cord breaks at the buds, and not mid-cord then?
    i was just looking at the pics of the buds. where would you put it without ruining the aesthetics of the unit? hmm.

i agree that sure makes some wonderful headphones, but i just don't have the cash right now...
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  24. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Again, go look at amazon. The material on the cord is thin and cheap, it breaks off at any point of stress. Last week I saw my friend's fontopias in person, and there was a small bit of exposed wire on a cord.
  25. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    oh my, those amazon reviews don't look so hot. seems like the mx51's are the only pair that don't have a ton going against them, except for the slightly high price. hmm. i like the koss sparkplugs, but i hate earplugs in general, so i don't know how much i'd like those.

i'll look around some more.