1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New here :) Need some advice!!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Gary_Coleman, Oct 14, 2008.

1. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    - Why go with a Quad? Because if he really does 3dsmax rendering it will save him A LOT of rendering time. My recomendations are not based on what mlee49 has called generic photoshop. Because he mentioned Maya along with 3dsmax and PS, I think he is more serious on editing than some generic photoshoping. The loss in gaming performance is nowhere near what you loose in 3Dmax with a dual core. If you want a bit more gaming performance you can always overclock, quads will go to 3.5 Ghz easily, duals to 4 Ghz so pretty much all the clock advantage is gone. Anyways I did some overclocking tests and CPU overclocking has very little impact on gaming performance (Crysis, COD4, UT3, Bioshock) and performance on stock was enough anyway..

-Why go with the Q6600? First of all why not? And secondly price/performance: the next cheaper Quad, the Q9300 was like $70-$80 more last time I checked and it performs marginally better. I myself wouldn't pay more for the same and I would never recommend it neither. Next one is Q9450 at $300, a prohibitive price considering the Q6600 is for $170. With those prices you could buy the Q6600 now, save up the rest and when/if the Q6600 is not enough in one year time, buy the Q9650 for the difference.

@Binge

I don't have any special preference for any brand but when he specifically mentioned Crysis and bang for the buck is his goal, the only way to go is Nvidia. Now if you don't care about Crysis things can change, but not neccesarily as those OCed GTX260's with 216SPs will eat any Ati card alive in a 22" monitor...
  2. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    i still think for his purposes he should just get the $500 q6600 Dell :p

after all thats what he was here doing anyway. until he was convinced to build his own. you can still drop w/e proc you want in there later. he can run it stock for a year until the warranty is up and then upgrade it. its easy. or he can upgrade right away. after all its cheap so who cares about the warranty you can fix it yourself anyway

so if no overclocking is involved thats a simple order right there. a quad core unit will be in his house and ready to go

all this discussion makes my head hurt

"get a quad"

"no get a dual"

"no wait get a quadruple"

just get the $500 Dell and throw a power supply in and get it over with :( :p
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  3. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    For his purposes the Dell Inspiron is a joke. He first needs a good graphics card and you need a better power supply. Add $500. Even worse, probably any high-end card is big enough that it won't enter in that case. Even if it does the air flow in that case is probably null, so any OC is a big NO and even without it with a high-end card inside such a case, components would start to die faster than people in Terminator. So you end up with a $1000 worth of hardware encapsulated in a shitty case, with no OC capabilities, not only because of the cooling, but also the cheap ram, mobo etc, waiting the day any of the components die. And because you upgraded it you have probably no warranty for anything, something that you would always have by buying them yourself.

You can build a much better PC for the same money with a lot more future proofing.
  4. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah i'm just half joking there, anyway

i'm grouchy this morning :banghead:

i did make a couple of cool upgrades to my 'puter over the weekend, 'tho. so thats something nice to think about :)
  5. Gary_Coleman New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok, the good thing about the socket 775 is that i can always upgrade, my last (and first) build was done with a socket 939 which was obsolete soon after. So i threw my money away on that build so this one, even if i get the duel core, I can always upgrade. I wont be dong any serious editing for probably another year or so and alot can change by then in the world of processors so im going to play it day by day. If I need more I can always get it :) So i think im going to go with the duel and stay with the GTX260 superclocked, its not that far behind the 280 and beats it in some games/resolution on performance. Now, the only thing im up in the air about is the mobo, i dont know what is a good/bad one so i am going by your words and personal experience.
  6. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not really. 775 is coming to an end, there won't be any processors coming out which are much better than what are available. I guess if you do want to get a quad for it they will stil sell them for a long time, and there will be plenty of used ones around. So yes and no to that statement.

E8600! Drool... great choice, definitely what I would buy if I had some money right now. That GTX260 seems like a great card too.

Anyway, onto the motherboard. You sort of mentioned you might want to go to 2 GPUs later on, that means SLI with another GTX260 which means you must choose a SLI mobo.

-Or buy any mobo you like and when the time comes ditch the 260 for a X2 card

-Or buy a crossfire mobo now and chuck the 260 later for 2 ATI cards.

Another thing, if you are not planning to add another GPU later then the PSU you have picked is overkill.

I can't offer much personal experience with recent motherboards, sorry, you'll have to rely on those wonderful reviewers at newegg. lol
  7. NastyHabits

NastyHabits

Thanks Received:
    I want to second Katanai's opinion about the Gigabyte board. The Gigabyte "mainstream" boards (P-x5) are very good boards. Good bang for the buck, excellent (and easy) overclocking, and they're so pretty. Combine the board you're looking at, plus the E8600 and you will have one screaming setup.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pretty????? I hope you are kidding. All Gigabyte boards these days are f***ing ugly man, like they just threw a box of crayons at them. Tooooooo many colours!

Great boards though, you should buy one. Just not worth looking at.
  9. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
  10. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmm... i've had a look. i take back what i said, I want that mobo. Fantastic features and It doesn't look bad at all. Putting it on my Newegg wish list.