1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New High ENd Rig, X-58 Mobo's

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Baer, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Baer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Greetings all, this is my first day here.

I am getting ready to build a new rig. I will go with the i7 Intel CPU. My first decision is which Mobo. I have narrowed it down to two, both Asus. The Rampage II Extreme or the P6T/OC Palm. I know the Rampage is the ultimate overclockers X-58 board but once I build and benchmark my highest stable OC I back down to something less for 24 X 7 use. For example my present rig has been up tpo 3.4 Ghz on air but I run it every day at just a 10% overclock (2.93).
    MY criteria are:
    1. High end componnents
    2. Reliability and stability
    3. Ability to OC

Do any of you have experience with either of these boards? Is there an other one you would recommend, remember. quality is paramount, price is not really an issue for this specific rig.
  2. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    p6t is crap.

rampage is meh.

get a gigabyte, DFI, biostar, foxconn, evga, or p6t6 ws revolution.

i speak from experience.
  3. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Rampage II Extreme out of those choices
    You have a QX6700 and you've only been able to hit 3.4GHZ. I ran my Q6600 at 3.6ghz 24/7 with no problems. Thats on water but still you should be able to get alot more out of that chip. Anyways the Rampage II Extreme is full of OC options. Some say it has so much it can be of annoyance.
  4. Baer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the responses so far. I have always had excellent luck with the high end Asus Mobo's. I especially like the reliability of the solid capicators.
    Yeah, that was my concern about the RAmpage, perhaps so much tweaking available that it may be more than I need. As noted, I tend to not push to the limit. I want high performance but very high reliability and stability are even more important to me.
    I will look at the other Mobo's suggested but I must say that I am not a big Foxconn fan. I have been to China dealing with this industry and I have some quality concerns about some brands (nuff said)
  5. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd go with fits advise, as he put it he's speaking from experience as where my comment is second had. One of the guys I work with got the rampage II extreme and we were talking about it. He just didn't like all the glitter the bios was loaded with, too many options or something to that affect. Anyways good luck in your choice.
  6. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    ok i edit it , gigabyte , evga , foxcon
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  7. TmdRockz™

TmdRockz™ New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. TmdRockz™

TmdRockz™ New Member

Thanks Received:
    AFAIK The new Foxconn Bloodrage has been used to the best I7 Overclock
  9. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    sorry man , i see someone say about asus x48 and i think he still think about stay on LGA775 , it is okay also one od best board's is gigabyte x58 , evga and foxcon
  10. TmdRockz™

TmdRockz™ New Member

Thanks Received:
    :p dont mind the ***
  11. Baer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I am comming to the same conclusion on the Rampage. I had a chance to play with it at CES. It is beautifully designed and I like the bios level hardware external control but as I am not going to be continiously tweaking it once I get past the initial "playing with it to see what it will do" stage I am thinking that the P6T might be the better choice. SOlid capacitors are a must for me, especially with ROhs (lead free ) manufacturing. I really want the added long term reliability.
    I am going to start this rig with a large standard HDD but before I finish it I plan on a pair of SDD drives for boot and OS. That is an area where there is little good experience yet. Anyone have any feelings on this?
  12. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    I have the evga board i fubared it with a currupted bios flash but its an amazing board very stable and has everything for all spectrums of overclockers and the only board iv ever gotten that is truley 100% solid state caps.
    Baer says thanks.
  13. Baer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Solaris, I did not know that about that board. I will look at it. I also see you use the Tt Armor case. I think I will use the Armor+ for this next build also. DId you add your own H2O cooling or get the Tt solution?
    (you guys are sure fast with your responses, I like this forum :) )
  14. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I went i7 I would get the EVGA board. It's been breaking records and taking names..
  15. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i added my own H2o with 3/8" tubing fits nicely..and the TT series has deff enough room for this mobo and the cooling.
  16. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    after positive reviews and Fitseries3's experience, whom it has to be said could be regarded more knowledgeable on the subject of X58 through sheer experience ALREADY, I think that in the near future when I upgrade to i7 I will either be using a DFI board, the EVGA classified when it comes out, or the p6t6 ws revolution. if you look at xtremesystems many users are having trouble with the OC Palm and I would advocate one of Fitseries3's suggestions over it.