1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New IPS Monitor.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ivicagmc, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
    Just recently I bought Dell U2311h eIPS monitor. It was very, very tampered with monitor. It had fingerprints, deep scratch on plastic(like a cut with the knife) and stuck sub-pixel, so I got my money back. It looks that monitor for my market from Dell doesn't have good quality control (or any), and I was very lucky to get my money. Buying this monitor looks like a lottery. I need your help for another option: LG IPS236V-PN (LED). I can't find any good review of this monitor on the web and Dell has many reviews. After looking in IPS monitor picture, I just can't go back to TN.
    I can find Dell for 187€ and LG for 210€.
    Is LG IPS 236V-PN better than Dell U2311h and why?
    Getting Dell warranty in my country is not an easy task, or any other for that matter. It costs a lot of money (sending to service) and time, and nerves (you have to fight for your rights as a customer)...
  2. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
  3. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
  4. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    Here is what you do, get a 22"-30" TV, their cheaper and better quality, most of the time. I have a LG TV and it's amazing.
  5. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    How is a tv better than an IPS screen? Please please show me proof of this. I understand you said most of the time, but I still want to see this.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    I'm saying that you get more for your money. You don't really need a super thing screen with a 5000000 to 1 contrast ratio. I got a 27" LG Tv from Wal-Mart for $250. They have 30" for $300+.
  7. Psychoholic

Thanks Received:
    IMO a TV Cant compare to a high quality computer monitor.
  8. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    I can't seem to see the difference.. I might have bad eyes...
  9. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    They are not the same.

I have a sumsung 24" @ 1920x1200 TN panel and I have a 40" samsung LCD with no LED backlighting, so a bit older and the 24" looks 5x times better in almost everything.

Please don't misunderstand that the tv looks good for gaming and movies but for text, it sucks balls!

Monitor over tv any day but if it's a htpc, then obviously tv. LED preferred.

Last time I heard dell used Samsung panels and Apple also used Samsung IPS panels.

LG make some super nice monitors, the best bet (if you can) is go look at them. Check a side by side spec but most companies rate their products differently so it's really hard to compare what to what.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
    I don't wont TV. Just an IPS monitor... I will try my luck with Dell, again. I really like adjustable stand. I don't mind a smaller 21.5 inch, but there is none here...
  11. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    TVs have never matched even a good quality TN panel. Hell even my fancy new 2011 plasma can't compare to my admittedly above average TN monitor.
  12. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    You could try the ML239H. Its similar panel to the Dell, but is LED backlighting.

Just FYI LED backlighting is actually WORSE in terms of quality than normal backlighting. It has lower power requirements but has worse panel uniformity and you cannot get one past sRGB color support unless you find one with RGB LED (they dont really exist, just the W-LED ones).

Dont get direct from LG. For some reason they apply no overdrive whatsoever. Resulting in response times sometimes worse than the VA panels they have out now.

So the ML239H is like the dell, but with lower gamut support and less uniformity. Also only has HDMI and VGA connections.

Uhhhhhh. Id really recommend people read up on the various panel technologies in LCD screens in detail. Its quite a eye opener.

If you speak of response time alone, then you would be correct. TN film panels have the quickest response time. For ANYTHING ELSE, you would be incorrect. Wide angels, color output, gamut support, contrast, you name it, you would be incorrect.

For TVs i recommend sticking with VA panels like from Samsung. The large ones you can even get decent response times out of. They have perfect blacks and superior contrast.

Despite exaggerated tags, IPS and TN films hardly go over 1000:1 contrast. Hell IPS panels usually hang around 600-800:1 while TN at around 900:1 . VA panels are the only ones true to their contrast rating (close to 4000:1 sometimes?).

EDIT: BTW Plasma > LCD if you can find a good Panasonic.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
    ivicagmc says thanks.
  13. arroyo

arroyo

Thanks Received:
    I am owner of MVA (ACER AL1923) and VA (TV Philips PFL5605h) panels. I must say that picture in TV is better in any way. I had Dell U2410 for almost half a year and I changed it for this TV just because size matters. Though picture quality is the same.

If you want to get TV working as monitor look at input lag value. Samsung LED TV is useless in my opinion. They have input lag >150ms. (my Philips has 14ms)
  14. General Lee New Member

Thanks Received:
    The LG is worse than U2311H, or so I've heard from people how bought it. It seems you've had some bad luck with your unit, but otherwise the Dell monitor is quite good. Cheap for IPS, fast enough for gaming and good image quality and viewing angles.

TVs are usually not good for gaming and neither are VA panels. This is due to the amount of image processing they do, which causes input lag and low responsiveness. There are of course some expections that are faster, but in general neither are optimal for PC gaming.

If you won't buy a second U2311H and you really want IPS, I'd recommend HP ZRW224. It's more expensive, but you do get 24" 1920x1200 instead of 23" 1920x1080.
    yogurt_21 and ivicagmc say thanks.
  15. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I know about that HP. There is even one on discount, but my budget is around 200€ and in Serbia that is almost a month pay check, but there is a smaller version ZR22w with same sIPS panel, but it seams it is a little slower than Dell, and I'm planing some gaming. Been playing on Dell for 4 days and there is not any noticeable difference from my previous monitor Benq 2220HDA in speed. I saved a money for some time to bye a good monitor. Thanks for advice. I reserved one Dell U2311h in something that I heard is a descent store and I'm trying it tomorrow.
  16. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    I've heard very good things about that HP
  17. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Id go with the Dell again if I were you.

Not all VA panels are bad for gaming. It all has to do with the extra processing and electronics they put into monitors in general. My old S-PVA was great for gaming. It was 6ms response time with minimal input lag, mostly because it was sRGB and 8 bit with no extended LUT, but it was a nice looking display. Its downside was aggressive overdrive causing some overshoot and minimal black streaking. What happened with the WFP2408 monitor was Samsung finally perfected their overdrive to have no overshoot in VA panels, but it came with a extreme side effect. Massive input lag. It seems after that hey kinda gave up, though ive seen Eizo do VA panels correctly....

When my S-PVA died, I tried the ZR24W first. The uniformity wasnt great and despite people saying wide angels were better than S-PVA, I disagree completely. Id rather it go slightly brighter then glow purple when you turn your head a bit. That and 2 dead sub pixels caused me to return it.

I have the PA246Q now. Generally its a all round better version of the U2410. Yes the TVs will look better because usually they are VA panels, but TVs have massive input lag and while dot pitch allows better response time, its kinda hard to game close to it.

IPS black glow took a bit for me to get used to, but I was able to help it by inching up the contrast and massively lowering brightness. BTW H-IPS panels do NOT have purple glow at angles.
  18. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Did you get this monitor direct from DELL?
  19. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    The cheaper 23" Dells are just as good if not the same as the cheaper LG and Samsung so no you dont need to go for a Dell then but higher end Dells yeah those cost more but are better. IPS panels display colour more accurately and generally the quality of picture is better. Bigger isnt always better as i would say if your sitting at a desk 24" is a large size of screen for that sort of sitting distance.

I dont like when people say LED Backlit IPS panels are shit because they are just different. Uniformity is usually the thing that gets most people annoyed but i heard it is good for whites.
    A lot of it depends on price too as frequently i can find 23inch 16:9 LED LGs for about £150/160.
    EDIT: ALSO i prefer 16:10 monitors myself but they are again more expensive.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  20. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to find one for my sister. she wants good vertical viewing angle. and most of the LED backlit ones had bad colors on both sides. like if you'd move up just a little bit the colors would get screwy. She moves around a lot on her chair and she edits videos. she's using a CRT right now becuase of that reason. she had an acer LCD (TFT) and she refused to use it for editing. TFT sucks for that.

and it's hard in my area since only 1 place sells IPSes and that's 2 hours away. you wanna be able to see them in person to judge how good you think the colors will be. she doesn't care about the brand she just wants something with good viewing angle and not be above 300 but shes willing to go to 500 if it's really good.
  21. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-ML239H/16533422

Surprise, its available for good price at WALMART!? Crazy. I guess you could have it shipped to the store and if anything is wrong with it then return it. Be sure to check the return policy. In general for monitors you do not want to buy them from places that have a AS IS or replace only policy on electronics. This means dont buy monitors from Newegg. Tigerdirect and Amazon are good choices, but make sure its DIRECT from Amazon and not a merchant.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_ml239h.htm
  22. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
    New Dell U2311h is much better. Uniformity is excellent, and there is no scratches or dead/stuck pixels. Irony is that while I was away 2 memory modules died... You win some, you lose some...
  23. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
  24. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    that's way out of my sister's budget.... but she did want one of those. LOL
  25. Pestilence New Member

Thanks Received: