1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New "Kill Hazard" Virus/Trojan Redirect

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Kreij, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just experienced a new redirect-style virus/trojan. It displays as a "popup" malicious code warning. It gives one the impression that it is a notice from IE (except for the bad grammar).
    Doing a Ctrl-Alt-Del and killing the entire IE application stopped it. Seems to happen on Firefox too from internet comments.
    People state that trying to use conventional methods to remove popup (X button, etc.) starts a fake virus scan (I can't verify as I whacked it immediately).

The popup displays the text ...
    Currently running Malwarebytes (full scan) with latest updates ... Nothing so far.

Note : This popped up when I tried to access a dictionary site.

Just a heads-up.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. copenhagen69

Thanks Received:
    I just spent 2 days getting rid of the red cross antivirus (which is fake)
    came through as a microsoft security essentials found some stuff and then asked you to download your choice of programs to get rid of it.

on the parents computer of course ... but it was a nasty M.F.! for sure

had to run MBAM, combofix, kaspersky AV, spybot, then delete all the files from system32
  3. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that's becoming a concern for me too. I've already found some of these new types of malware. Killing the app immediately seems to solve the issue (well, at least until you try to access the site again). I've also scanned the entire pc with multiple scanners (NOD32, HiJackThis, Malwarebytes, to name a few). Nothing pops up.

A month ago I read something about this on Ars Techinca. Seems there really is a new breed of intelligent malware that can be a threat for the less internet knowledgeable person.

EDIT:
    Read 'em here:
    Link 1 (Some Info. and some images).
    Link 2 (ZoneAlarm using the issue to it's benefit).
  4. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    will have to watch out for this on the home computer.
  5. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    There are 2 parts of all fake scanners. A fake web interface which just displays fake scan results and once you click REMOVE Threats, it will usually offer the actual EXE file. So if you haven't gone past the web fake scanner part it's very unlikely that you're even infected. Some are more stubborn and you have to kill browser via Task Manager... but other than that it shouldn't cause any further problems.
  6. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Kreij. One can never be too careful with these things.