1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Laptop Advice?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by t77snapshot, Aug 2, 2011.

1. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    This is not really a system building question, more of an question regarding a good buyers choice for a Laptop.

Ok so my mom want me to find her a laptop that fits her needs, I don't have much expertise on Notebooks and I have no idea where to find a "Docking Station". Will any one of my fellow TPU'ers like to recommended me some links or models in this category? Any help would be great, great appreciated.:respect:

----

I want a computer that can support Office 2007 or 2010 professional, so that I can do some consulting work. I'd also like to have something that can support doing stuff like storing photos, creating photo books, or greeting cards, invitations, etc. I won't be doing any gaming, or stuff like that.

Good wifi receiver; reasonably quick; plenty of memory; and doesn't overheat easily. (My current work Laptop, which is a Toshiba Portege, has a terrible overheating problem.)

Also, I'd like a docking station, so that I can also use a regular monitor and keyboard. I'd like the docking station to have its own power button, etc. and plenty of ports so that I can hook up printers and also one that can charge the laptop battery. (I already have newer printers and monitor; might need a new keyboard and mouse.) Plenty of USB ports as well.

My budget would be no more than $1,200 for all of this.

Any idea's, just throw them at me.:D
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Anyone with advice? :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    What price range are you looking in?

Any preferences for manufacturer?

Edit: I thought the part in italics was your sig.:eek:
  4. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    The bad thing about docking stations- They've gone by the wayside, the last one I saw in person was for a lenovo thinkpad T42.
  6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yep if you google about laptop docking there many so i guess it aint hard to find so you can buy what you like
    most run fine with w7and latest office.
    most laptop has little differences like vga, hdd, screen size and so
    if you use it for daily use intel base is ok (most prefer intel)
    try processor with ulv (ultra low voltage) its better if you looking for longer usage and lower heat