1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New laptop i might get for school, possibly to replace my current cpu.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by epicfail, Aug 9, 2010.

1. epicfail

epicfail New Member

Thanks Received:
    bigboys says thanks.
  2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a pretty sweet notebook to me.

epicfail says thanks.
  3. epicfail

epicfail New Member

Thanks Received:
    Though so too, i was looking around at the prices, and what i get for them, this laptop seemed to be the best i could get, for it.

4. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The laptop has some really good specs. I'd say go for it. It won't perform close to your current rig but it's the closest you can get. :D

5. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    a quad core and a notebook gpu that has performance of a desktop 5770 sounds very promising..but why would you need that for school?? maybe for college/university yeah if your going somewhere far but not school if you won't be away from your desktop for ages.

6. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    amazon has this for 1550 (where I bought mine) excellent laptop. I have been very impressed with it.

7. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    just be aware a laptop 5870 is basically a desktop 5770, so half the power. having said that its still alot for a laptop..

personally I just got a laptop with a i5 dual core 2.53ghz (higher under turbo mode) and a mobility 5650, and It can max out pretty much any game at native res (1366x768)

I think you could get more value for less money if you are willing to go i5, and maybe less powerfull gfx, maybe lower res.... but in your shoes if I had the money I'd go this one :)

8. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    two things to remember:

1 that 17" is huge, it will take up alot of deskspace
    2 the 8 cell battery will be heavy and I highly doubt you'll get anywhere near the specs listed

Also, get an additional warranty. Asus's warranty is good for 2 years, 1 year on the battery(which will drain in a year, trust me).

Think about lugging it around along with textbooks or even in it's own bag. It will get heavy quick.

I have a 15" Sager NP8662 and it only gets 2hrs battery life, so carrying it's charger sucks. Its a pain to have to lug around in a laptop bag(seperate from books) but then again I can plug it into my desktop LCD and play GTA4 or Prototype. :) Nobody else's can do that.

9. epicfail

epicfail New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya i know it comes with a backpack i plan on using for my laptop, and add some books to that. but other than that its notes and stuff. and then gaming
    college my bad, its a 50 minute drive 1 way to school, and i want it to type notes, but also ill be using it as my gaming computer kind of deal. i have shit writing since ive been typing everything since i was young and well ya.

10. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Well i wouldn't spend that much on a gaming laptop if you can drive back home from college?? If you was staying there then thats okay but if your not don't really see the point but if you are always out and about lan gaming with friends then go for it but the laptop going be a heavy thing to carry about.