1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New laptop - second delve into Vista

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by theonetruewill, Jul 16, 2008.

1. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    Well I bit the bullet and bought a new laptop to replace my old one, and it's specc'ed with Vista Home Premium.

Asus F8SG-4P001C
    T8100 2.4GHz
    250 GB HDD
    2048MB RAM (667)
    14" 1280x800
    Nvidia 9300M

Cost me £655 which for the UK ain't that bad. I couldn't really find much better for the price. This time I decided to get as fast a processor as I could with my budget and screw the graphics card as this will be mostly for work.

Vista is quite entertaining although I've already turned off that annoying UAC confirmation rubbish. My first attempt at installing Vista on my main PC ended with a blue screen during the installation so I didn't want to try it again until it got seriously more stable. This seems to be hassle free so far (touch wood) and actually very fast to start up and shut down although this was after I disabled the 17million programs Asus had set to run on startup.

So far Vista seems to be pretty funky and I'm getting used to it so I'll let you know if I decide to install XP on it or stay with Vista. Fingerprint scanner is pretty cool too!

2. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn, nice laptop man. You going to overclock it? lol
    Anyways, vista is ok, I don't really notice a difference, except vista eats more ram....but with 2 gbs its not really that big of a deal tbh. And now you have a better laptop than me...hmmm....

theonetruewill says thanks.
  3. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    My new laptop I just got has Vista home premium on it. Seems to be ok. I went through and shut down the stuff that I didn't need or use, made a big difference in loading and overall performance.
    BTW. Nice laptop. Never owned an Asus before. Looked at a few when I was searching for the one I got.

Avertec 2500
    AMD Turion 64 X2 @ 2.0GHz
    3GB 667MHz RAM
    250GB HDD
    ATI X1270 graphics
    12.1" display
    Vista Home Premium

theonetruewill says thanks.
  4. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    Oh I am pleased with this untweaked little score! Superpi 1M - 20.436 :rockout:

Attached Files:

5. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sweet best score I got was 27 on xp.