1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new methods ! :)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by xyz123, Mar 8, 2012.

1. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    that depends on the speed of the air and the static tension of the 'air' over the heat sink
    slower moving air picks up more heat then faster moving air BUT that depends on the heat-sinks thermal capacity

Solaris17 says thanks.
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It won't do you any good if the air has nowhere to go...

3. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    air already has somewhere to go... out the back of your case if we are talking about GPUs. faster air cools the chip down more due to the larger temp difference...

4. zargana

Thanks Received:
    My answer for that is, you are right. Because the common and almost 20 year old MB design doesn't help us to do this. If we change the air flow today, all the heat will be inside the case and etc. That's why we need a revolution, almost on all pc components. The old pc's didn't have cooling issues. Because they didn't need to much energy as today. A simple example, pentium 120, which was my first rig, had a 300w PSU. Today 1600w PSU are out! Today pc's sucks more energy and gives us heat.

We dont need to do much; just need to follow the "nature order or law". We need to move the coolest piece to bottom and the hotter piece higher in the case. This will help, but only if the MB, any pci or pci-e and case design change. To give an idea here is my solution.

[​IMG]

Cheers.

5. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    You guys really think that all of the graphics card OEM's havent experimented with different coolers, fan positioning and cooling techniques?

6. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    i know they have :D hence why we have aftermarket coolers.

7. zargana

Thanks Received:
    I just wanted to answer question with the evolution of the MB's.

[​IMG]

To much experiment but same result. :wtf:

8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I don't think the socket layout and location is for cooling purposes exactly, considering pin count has been going through the roof since the P2 (the slot idea was incredibly stupid imho).

9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Flipping the card over doesn't help. People thing the PCB gets hot because heat rises, but heat only rises in a fluid/gas, it doesn't rise through solids. Heat conducts through solids, so the back of the PCB is hot because the it is touching the GPU and the heat is conducted away from the GPU into the PCB.

Changing the orientation of the motherboard actually makes GPU temperatures worse, that is why no one does it(except dell tried it and switch back after a while). When you change the orientation of the motherboard by flipping it upside down, you are taking the GPU from an area with relatively cool air, the bottom of the case, and putting it into an area with relatively hot air, the top of the case. The heat from the CPU is rising, the heat from the PSU is rising, and it is all going to the top of the case, so the GPU is being cooled by already hot air.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  10. zargana

Thanks Received:
    I looked to your system and you have an i7 cpu, 2xsli reactors. Your cpu and MB, in normal room temperatures runs around (without OC) 30-35 and at load 50-55 Celsius. But your gpus can go up to 80 Celsius and more, that heat impacts direct on your cpu, cpu-cooler, rams and your MB chokes and you still say flip cant do the work?

I am not so sure...

11. xyz123 New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

12. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    most of the heat is being blow out the back of the case.... especially if he has another fan on the top Rear of his case.. the air for the CPU should be coming from the front... not from below.

any decent case these days has fairly high air-flow speeds through the case... "Rising heat" doesn't have a chance as its blown with the air out of the case.

why do you keep posting pics with no information?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  13. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    That's a refreshing idea. Perhaps they should call it something like BTX. Because after A comes B.

craigo, m1dg3t and BumbleBee say thanks.
  14. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    BTX already exists. Might want to check these things first. ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_(form_factor)

IIRC, it's a Dell thing from many years ago.

15. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
  16. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I think I did. :banghead:

I honestly like my setup, 3 intake 120mm in front, 2x120mm exhaust in back and 1x200mm exhaust on top, and exhaust on the PSU on the bottom. Including the exhaust on both 6870s.

[​IMG]

Pardon the grainy picture, the sun was coming in the room when I took the picture.

Attached Files:

17. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
  18. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I love it, it's the most solid case I've ever owned. I just hate how much the case weighs. I feel like I'm lifting weights every time I've had to move it. It's so worth it, though. I just wish it supported EATX boards, considering it is a full tower chassis.

19. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    man... its not as heavy as the case POS case i went to lol...xaser 6..... wishing i never swapped.

20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Before my Antec 1200, I had a ThermalTake TsunamiDream and it was a nice case to start but the Aluminum made it feel flimsy and over time it just deteriorated and started to look worse and worse. The build quality of the Antec case is nice and it doesn't have a shred of aluminum on it. Also the Lazer6 weighs 10 lbs (~4.5kg) less than the 1200.

Ever since I've used Antec chassis for all computers I've built. For others and myself, and honestly I've been happy with the 300, 900, and 1200. I don't think I'll ever by a ThermalTake chassis ever again after using Antec. However I do have a 120mm push-pull cpu cooler on my old Phenom II 940 and I'm perfectly happy with that, even if it is mostly aluminum.

21. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    yeah... till you put water in it :p

22. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    By the time I choose to use water cooling, I will own a house and in that case I won't be mounting the radiator inside the chassis, it will be external. Until then, I am perfectly happy with the Zalman CPNS9900MAX, even more so since it doesn't even cover any of the DIMM slots and cools my 3820 @ 4.75ghz without a problem. I have no reason to get water at the moment. :)

23. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    This. How do you use a fan in the summer when it's hot? Extracting air from you? or Blowing air towards you?

24. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Computers don't sweat so there is no phase change occurring on a computer unlike the human body. It depends on the external temperature and the ambient internal temperature. Don't go comparing a computer cooling system to a "human cooling system." It's largely inaccurate.

Edit: The human body also isn't in a room that is completely sealed except for a single opening with a fan blowing air in from the outside. The air needs somewhere to go or it will do you no good. Hence air flow. This only works if your computer isn't in an enclosed case, and most of the time, people don't like running hardware on their desk without a chassis.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  25. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    You remind me of those guys from "The Big Bang Theory".