1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new MMORPG?

Discussion in 'Games' started by reverze, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Evo85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am Beta'ing Aion this weekend. Will post some thoughts and pics when I get a chance.

I know one thing, its popular already. The beta forums just collapsed from the traffic. Last count I had was 4600+ online.. :D
  2. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    What makes WoW huge or what made it huge, wasn't really the community, it was the low system requirements and an IP that was well known, backed by a company that had another IP that was a dungeon crawl. That game was the buggiest MMO I played at launch, I remember servers being down for days, and a ton of other issues. They didn't really get everything straightened out for a good 6 - 7 months after release. But at that time that is what was expected. MMO's released with a ton of missing content and a lot of bugs and people just expected it to get patched in.

When it got patched in the game started to boom in the beginning of 05 and then they kept up on patches mostly, then BC came out and they made the game easier and pulled in more people who never played MMO's before, then repeat that for WotLK. Loved the game, played for almost 5 years now, but its easy, liked Pre-BC.

Now for an MMO to be successful people expect it to be a finished game at release, and if it isn't finished people will just go back to WoW, like what happened with AoC and WAR. I think Bioware has what it takes to release a game like this, at least I hope. WoW's community really isn't that huge, at least not in the US and Europe, yes 12 million subs, but I think almost 7 million of those are in Asia. So to get a game with 5 million subs elsewhere is a big task, it's not that huge, as most IP's dont have the global strength like Blizzards games have, but have huge strength in the US and Europe.

I havent really read any of his books, I'm not much for reading :p But I know he is a huge name. I still hope its a new IP, the other issue with current IP's is the author giving things "thumbs down" that would make the game great. When creating a new IP they have free roam and don't have to worry about an awesome idea getting shot down, they can just fit it in the storyline.
  3. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    DDO is not interesting to me at all...
  4. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm officially back on WoW.
  5. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: Im about to reactivate my account as well.
  6. reverze

Thanks Received:
    What's your char specs?
  7. olithereal

olithereal New Member

Thanks Received:
    Make sure to check out Mortal Online. If you like games with real hardcore pvp (full loot, skill based, etc), it's a LOT based on pre-trammel UO. It's supposed to come out on Q4 2009.
  8. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Umm...can't even remember. I have an 80 pal..and ermm i stopped play I think in feb....can't remember..
  9. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    if anyone is looking for a free mmorpg, i just started lpaying Requiem:bloodymare today and it reminds me of WoW alot, only well realistic graphics not cartoony. and well it seems fun so far, more fun than WoW was ofr me at the start but maybe i just prefer the realistic environment.
  10. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    Iv also played Bloodymare and its a decent game for a free to play one. It's somewhat of a potion spamming game since the potions iv used only have like a 20 or 30 second cool down on them... also healing classes are crazy powerful.

If you are interested in some Hardcore pvp and waiting for Mortal Online, you can try Darkfall.

Its full pvp loot but it takes a while to get your skills up. It's an ok game but I had to quite due to not having enough time to poopsock and keep up with everyone. :cry:
  11. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    I was contemplating it until I found out that as of April !st (I think that was the update) warriors are the worst DPS class there is. Apparently alot of raids are leaving DPS warriors out altogether.

Seeming how my main is an 80 fury war and my next highest level is a 17, I said 'pass'. I'm not going to join it just to level again. I just wanted raids.
  12. olithereal

olithereal New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey kuroikenshi, I see in your sig that you play WAR..got some question here..

I played the game at launch and it was decent, somewhat really imbalanced. How is it nowadays, the balancing, are bright wizards still overpowered?

Thanks.
  13. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    hahah I should probably change that. I have not played in a long time. I am not sure about BW's anymore but I know they fixed quite a few things. I know it is no longer possible for a single person or a couple to defend a keep anymore from a warband since Witch Hunters and Witch Elves lock pick has been fixed. So with that, they can just stealth up to the oil and gank you.

Other then that I know they released the 1.3 patch that made a lot of changes.
    olithereal says thanks.
  14. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Yep, the slapped Warrior hard, especially fury, didn't even think about how to nerf them, just took a flat 10% damage off of TG. And since they were tied for worst 1v1 pvp class, they are now pretty much worthless.
  15. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Isn't that suppose to be changing in 3.2?
  16. DreamSeller Guest

i heart Aion
    you must play it :D
  17. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure, I don't really play anymore. But as far as I know, nope. Everyone who doesn't play a Warrior seems to not understand the class, they have "tank" stuck in their head. And they think that a guy who is strong enough to wield 2 massive 2 handed weapons should hit like a girl with them because apparently those weapons should inflict less pain that 5 inch long daggers that a rogue uses. So I'm doubting it will get fixed for a while.
  18. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    They also retooled alot of the gear to go away from crit chance. While it does end up being more AP, due to Strength and Kings it ends up dropping crit chance to around 30-35% in warriors. Most warriors saw a full 1k-1.5k fall off their overall dps meters over night.

Most people call them a hybrid class. I agree they're a hybrid class in the sense that they can Tank and DPS, so compared to a Rogue who is straight DPS all trees, then yes they are a hybrid. If Blizzard didn't intend for them to be DPS, then why are 2 trees of the 3 DPS focused, and why does the description of them read 'a damage-dealing powerhouse'. Warriors weren't even at the top of the DPS (at least I didn't think so). I was pretty sure DKs, Pallies and Mages either gave them a good run for their money or were just edging them out.

Sorry, but being that my main (and only) character was a DPS warrior, I'm a little miffed. Glad I stopped paying in March.
  19. reverze

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure enjoying my Troll DeathKnight. :)l

I've yet to play the BC or WOTLK content yet.. So it should be pretty fun leveling up.

Plus the DK is killing mobs so fast it's nuts.
  20. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Actually they were pretty close to the top, if not the top. Not far above mages at that time though. Some fights were better than others, my first time on Thad 25 man I did 5.5k dps, then finally got aggro and died, and that was in full blues with 2 epic weapons (2 weeks after WotLK). As I got epic'd up I was our guilds top DPS also, and we were the best guild on our server. But had a mage that was always on my ass, DK's were good to, it wasn't like we were destroying other classes.

But that wasn't good enough for rogues, since they are the pure DPS melee DPS, they weren't happy just ripping people apart in PvP, it had to be PvE also, they of coarse need to be the best at everything, so things got changed and thats how it is once again.
  21. Viorel

Viorel New Member

Thanks Received:
    WingR is my nick if you want to give me items :D:D
    I'm lvl 4.