1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New motherboard led wiring

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by kisuke47, Nov 24, 2012.

1. kisuke47 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi im getting ready to give my old sony vaio a makeover Im going to install a new motherboard power supply hard disc drives ect but the connector plug for the front panel power switch and lights for the front leds has a proprietary connector how would I cut the connector off and wire on a non proprietary one the plug only has eight wires so it shouldent be hard but I dont know the pinout of the wires this is the board I am getting ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4-M FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4)... I also have some pics of the front panel help on this subject would be great.

Attached Files:

2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Changing from a propriatary front panel connector to a standard is always a chalange. First recomendation is to just buy a new case. However if your up the the chalange it can be done. You need

to find a service manual for the PC which hopefuly has a wireing diagram to tell you whilch wire is which.

You can also test the wires. the power wires are just a shorting lead. Use a ohm meter. The others will be a reset also shorting leads and the rest are led.

you can buy standard ends at most electronics stores

The other option is to change the whole switch and lights. The would create a need to modify the front panel

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  3. kisuke47 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi jetster thanks for the help I would like to try and keep the case if possible so what kind of connector would I need to to wire on to connect to the new board?.

4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    man buy a new case - those OEM cases suck bad.

Law-II and Jetster say thanks.