1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Nic or cable modem?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by mrsemi, Jan 7, 2011.

1. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    I bought the Killer nic, managed to crash windows so hard I couldn't even boot into safe mode. I was just trying to get a little better ping in games.

I've read reviews of my p6t6ws revolution where people state onboard is not too great. I'm returning the killer nic and since the money is somewhat invested am deciding to throw it into another device.

Would a better cable modem like this do anything for gaming?
    MOTOROLA SB6120 160Mbps in DOCSIS mode and 195Mbps...

Any recommendations on a pcie nic that would help ping?
  2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ping is generally increased by devices between you and the destination. Using a different NIC, modem may show a drop, but it will be small. The modem would be more beneficial then a NIC. But if your ping is sub 100 in games you play, I wouldnt worry about it.
    mrsemi says thanks.
  3. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the response, I remember the days when games I played had sub 100 ping. It's pretty rare now.
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe make sure your getting what you should of your ISP or even change or upgrade to a faster connection.
  5. AnomalouS

AnomalouS New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the best way to check that you are getting what you pay for from your ISP? Are you speaking in terms of Up/Down Speed or possibly even latency?
  6. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
  7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Check your downloads more often and if your ISP supports uploading files to there own webspace or any were you know you can max out your upload speed..

For me i have a friend on the same ISP which i can check and my ISP. If your pings over 100ms you could try complaining to them they might be able to do some thing.