1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Nintendo console reveal at or before E3

Discussion in 'Games' started by BumbleBee, Apr 14, 2011.

1. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    source: Joystiq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9EhvDAMjWc
    Soylent Joe, BondExtreme and digibucc say thanks.
  2. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i hope it is true
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I think I'm gonna stay out of the console arena for another generation or three. I don't feel like blowing another $1000-2000 on a console (console, games, accessories, TVs, etc.) that is only "improved" from current generation of consoles. If it's not revolutionary (like the Wii was), it's boring. I'd rather buy a new computer with that cash.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    THIS THIS THIS!! This is exactly how I feel. When new consoles come out, they look almost as good as current high end PC's out there but then 6 months later, the consoles are considered trash and out of date. I'm not going to spend $2000 on a new tv to look at outdated graphics. :laugh:

However with all this being said, I am not a graphic enthusiast in video games. I look at gameplay first and personally, I find gameplay way better on a PC rather than consoles.
  5. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    why do you have to buy a new television?
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  6. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Because I don't have one.. When I quit being a console gamer, I got rid of mine.

My point was though is if I were to become a console gamer, I would have to spend the extra cash on a television. Was getting at Ford's point. ;)
  7. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Complain much?

Let me preface what I am about to say with the fact that I sold my wii after not playing it for 6+ months.

I don't think you ever spend less on a pc than a game console. A pc gets upgraded every couple of years, a console gets replaced every 5. Games cost about the same. New consoles have hdmi ports, so you can use them with any monitor that supports dvi; no need for a separate tv and monitor.

People complain about console graphics sucking. After a couple of years, any piece of hardware is old. Any of you still think Mario (SNES) is still worth playing? How about flash games, or games on your phone? Graphics do not imply good games. Ever!

Wii was a gimick, which Nintendo itself is saying will not last. I don't care about their upgrade on graphics, I care about the games. The pc generally offers more interaction options, so that's where I choose to spend my money. Nintendo will be worth my time when they have 3rd party, and a list of games worth playing long enough to hold my attention for more than 5 minutes.

In short, I need a graphically updated wii about as much as diabetic needs a sugar pill. It might look good from some perspective, but if you step back and look at the whole picture the option is less than thrilling.
  8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Me neither and exactly. I'm really starting to like the indie push on PC including Minecraft, Defense Grid, Sol Survivor, World of Goo, Portal (although they had Valve help), and all the rest of them. Games that focus on experimenting with gameplay and not so much on the the eye candy.

Big publishers like Ubisoft, Electronic Arts, Eidos, and the rest of them seem to only care about the first two weeks the game is released (the period they take in the most revenue). After that, they couldn't care less unless they attempt to keep a franchise going--then they get fanatical about it.

Because the FCC declares yours a relic or it dies because the manufacturer can't be arsed to make it last a year longer than the warranty.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Pics or it didn't happen.
  10. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    I'm not saying I do spend less on my PC in general. Do I spend less on PC games than on console games? Absolutely! There is something called Steam which imo is one of the best creations made for gaming. I liked how one of my friends put it. "If you are a PC gamer and don't have Steam, you're a moron" Plain and simple. He said it, not me. XD

Anyway to get back on topic.

I also need to remind you that in my previous post I said that I always look at gameplay first, not how gorgeous it looks. However when I was being charged $60 for a 360 game which was basically the EXACT same game as the PC versions but scaled down to the console, while the PC version was cheaper, I had enough.. Some PC games are however going up to $60, yes, but I would like the PC version instead since you do have generally more options in the game and it does.... well in fact look better. Better experience I guess you could call it.
  11. MLG The Canadian

MLG The Canadian New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why would people play an HD version of the wii? I didn't think people played the wii to begin with?

Cooking Mama in HD?

:S
    lilhasselhoffer says thanks.
  12. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Recycle the PS3. PS3.5 just boost the graphics to something near GTX280 speeds
  13. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    Until a few console generations ago, consoles were the best way to play video games before PC video cards caught on. Now that you can play the same game ported to PC but with higher res, better graphical detail, more AA, superior sound via sound card, same controller (Xbox 360), the need for consoles is obviated. Consoles may become extinct soon and all console makers may become 3rd party like Sega did when everyone realizes the same game is on PC but is much much better.

You can play every console ever made except 3 of them on PC. The consoles you can't play, several of the best games on those systems have PC ports, so if you are a serious gamer you should have an enthusiast PC.

With the sales Steam has, it hurts piracy when it is close to free. If you buy your games on PC, you NEED Steam. I have a huge Steam folder and it is ever-increasing.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
    BondExtreme says thanks.
  14. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Bleh troll etc etc.

A more powerful Wii HD would be pretty darn good if the price is right imo. It's a couple of years late, but it is what people have been complaining about since it was released.

I'm not a fan of modern games in general though, so I can not be bothered at all.

Also, I'm sick and tired of people hatin on consoles. Seriously, you don't know what you're talking about.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  15. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    I think I know what I'm talking about. I bought a Wii and it's a piece of junk.

I don't even consider it this generation. It's just mini games with poor motion control that for some reason makes people want to buy it.

Mario this, Mario that.

Nintendo used to be about quality platformers and epic stories. Now, it's just about cooking cartoon cakes in your living room and playing Wii sports until somebody breaks the nearest glass object.

You can call me a troll all you want, but the Wii is nothing but a child's toy.
  16. Frick

Thanks Received:
    I kinda agree, but that's gaming today for you. That's how I feel about all games.

EDIT: And there are a lot of people playing it. A LOT.
  17. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    The wii controller is just bad, its so inaccurate you can put it on a table and it still vibrates up and down on the screen, so don't expect anyone who actually owns one to disagree with you, it also has iplayer apps and everything but they crash so often you'd think the wii was using window me
  18. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    I own a Wii and I gave it to my parents so they could use it as a Netflix box.

I bought one back when Redsteel had commercials. That game was a flop, Twilight Princess was O.K but not nearly as good as the n64 versions or Windwaker. Then they proceeded to make mini games for years.

People constantly mock the Wii too. Are you saying Adam Sessler, one of the world's most acclaimed video game critics is a troll too? What about Victor Lucas? Tommy Talarico? Scott C. Jones? Morgan Webb?

They might as well just rename the headquarters G"TROLL"4 HQ.
  19. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    and also, to those who argue that a console is only 250$ while you need to keep upgrading the PC, ask them how many Xbox360's they had to buy(or PS3) due to hardware failure(RROD anyone?) of the older box?
  20. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Backwards compatible, nice. More internal storage is likely, I'd assume.

Probably have one before I get around to buying a PS3.
  21. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I don't think you will hear much of, "RED RING OF DEATH FTW!" :roll:
    The closest failure to that for a PC gamer would be the blue screen of death and even that is unlikely to happen to you. Even if you get viruses, they can be cleaned out while replacing hardware for a360 or PS3 can be a bit inconvenient and time consuming. Talking to customer service is a pain...

A PRIME EXAMPLE! Online gamer! :rockout:
  22. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    I read somewhere last night that this may turn out to be a Dreamcast situation. You've got an aging console generation, with the new ones coming out a couple of years from now. One of the companies tries to jump the gun and get their console out years before the others (the Wii HD). Although this action spawns a capable and powerful unit for right now, it will be demolished by the next two's products in a couple of years, who will utilize even better tech than what is available right now.
  23. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    First of all they need to sort out the online integration, its terrible or rather hardly existant on the wii. Friends codes for ever game is just rediculous. The controller needs motion plus to be mroe accurate so it was good they finally made that standard.

Im not really interested in a new Nintendo console, sure you get the first games experience but there isnt anything after that. The few decent games are buried in a sea of mini games.
    The one thing im worried about though is that it might just be what we already have, the wii itself wasnt much of a bump up from last gen so it might just be something barely better than PS3 and 360.

Anyway years ago pcs where expensive and consoles much cheaper, so thats why a lot of people played on consoles being priced out of the market. Now if you can afford a half decent rig you can play anything.
  24. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    We already have two threads on this same topic.
  25. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Your post was pretty trollish. Your post was an equivalent to "lol fail". Also you are completely wrong. People are playing the Wii. Like a lot of people. Mock it all you want but do it for real reasons and accept the fact that there are people who like it and people that do not like it.