1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Nintendo console reveal at or before E3

Discussion in 'Games' started by BumbleBee, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Suuuure. I'll believe that it'll be more powerful then the Xbox 360 and PS3 when I see it. As it is, the Wii is less powerful than the original Xbox.

The Wii was not revolutionary. It's an overclocked GameCube with sloppy motion control tacked on.

AltecV1 says thanks.
  2. Syuzeren

Syuzeren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Conclusion: Nintendo has no good ideas for games anymore. Time to add same new kind of games without nintendo characters. We need Battlefield 3 on the Wii Hd :D

Offtopic: what do you think the new system specs the Xbox and Playstation are going to have?

3. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    You miss the point at why the Wii was and still is so popular.

The Wii was revolutionary because it brought "gaming" to the masses. You can say what you want, but most PC/Xbox/PS gamers are 20-something males with too much time on their hands, that much is a fact. The Wii gave EVERYBODY something to play, even your arthritic granny could play, your technophobic mother could play, and your young child could wave the controller around and have great fun. The Wii is NOT a gamers choice, it IS an arcade machine, and that is why it was so revolutionary. It catered to the HUGE market that the other platforms were not even paying attention to. It was child friendly, easy, and enjoyable.

It took Microsoft and Sony a while to realise this but they did and now they are following suit.

Damn_Smooth, yogurt_21 and 95Viper say thanks.
  4. toastem2004

toastem2004

Thanks Received:
    When u look at the "Xenos" chip that powers the 360, its a hybrid x1900 & HD2400/HD2600 (link) Even if the new chip is only HD4670 equivalent, it will be more than capable of outperforming the other consoles by a pretty good margin; and due to the optimizations that go into console game dev, I wouldn't be surprised to see it give most ~$700-$850 PC's a run for their money.

As for PowerPC being old... i guess IBM didnt get your memo with their POWER7 Servers.... And dont forget Watson (jeopardy computer) is powered by PowerPC derived arch, as are many many cars & commercial printers. i will admit however, that the CPU choice may be the weak link here. i can understand using for cost, backward compatibility, and their claim of easier porting from xbox360. i just feel it should be a quad then, or maybe add a specialized "cell"

5. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Well that's cool for nintendo. :p.. I just won't ever buy another console system again.. yea they're easier but they never run as good or look as good as a pc.

As for people playing it. you bet your backside they are.. Wii made so much money Sony likely had to dig holes to put it all in.. If that's a fail, what's a win? lol..
    I know a ton of people who own and have bought Wiis as presents or for personal use.
    Don't hate..

6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    If this is true Nintendo is going to F#$king bury the PS3 and the 360. By the time their greedy asses come up with something new in 2014, Nintendo will be on its next system.....always one step ahead. I love Nintendo.

7. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    and by the time their systems come out the wii 2 will be ancient, I am thinking a little more powerful than the 360 in terms of graphical ability and nothing more than a HD4670, the thing is we don't know much about the wii's gpu itself, most will say its just an overclocked version of the GC's gpu, but in reality theres no confirmed info on it except for some stuff thats not even related to it like wifi

I hope nintendo focus's on gameplay from the get go, and tries to take more of a range that satisfies all age groups because the wii was more of a kiddie console, I hope the best for them.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  8. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
  9. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    Lol 2012. Talk about being late.

10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Nintendo confirms new console

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1163764p1.html

11. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    From the get-go the Xenos chip was basically a prelude to the Cell Processor in the PS3. It was just IBM experimenting with the setup and making a conservative multi-core CPU. If Nintendo was really going to one-up the X360 they should have just gone straight for a Quad-Core Xenos with higher clocks (3.4Ghz would do it). As long as the architecture is still the same it wouldn't exactly make porting games any more difficult. If this system ends up literally being an Xbox360 with slightly updated specs, it will be a little gimped coming out of the gates (from a technical perspective).

As for the PowerPC Architecture, yea, it's still alive and kicking, but it's hardly the same. You could make a solid argument that most x86 CPU's are the same setup, but they are vastly differing within their own right. Sandy Bridge CPU's are definitely different from C2D\Q CPU's. The same can be said about the Power7\Watson setups, they are based on PowerPC, but they are greatly improved versions of what you'd see in the Xenos CPU.

12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    And the Wii3 will already be in the works ;)

13. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    I thougt that handheld brick game brought "gaming" to the masses.

14. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    lmao console whores criticizing the wii because it didin't try and fail to replace pc gaming. The truth is were I ever to get a console, it would be a wii.

Plus kudos to nintendo for already working ona replacement, unlike microshaft who just last month started hiring for the project to replace the 360 and sony who're doing what? making a new psp, regarless of how old the ps3 is.

seriously this is a start, hopefully this'll prompt sony and microsoft to get their acts together.

15. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    In the past, image quality on consoles was poor because of lack of resolution.
    Back when the Playstation arrived, I said immediately that someday we will need support for higher resolutions and I don't see why they couldn't have wired that into the console for when people started buying better televisions or used their CRT monitors to play games on.

These days, consoles output 1080p.

Even with that obstacle removed, I have yet to see a console game that's on par with PC visuals. For two simple reasons..aliasing and filtering.

Consoles don't have the manual application/option, nor does the software developed for it have a suitable enough engine to support antialiasing and anisotropic filtering to a level that is anywhere near a PC's capabilities.

You can take the most photo realistic rendered scene with all the post processing bells and whistles, God rays, shaders and SSAO yet with horrific aliasing and muddy filtering and stack it up against a very clean and high resolution rendered scene with very crisp lines, and a nice soft blur around basic shadows(whether dynamic or static) and a strong filtering engine to help retain the resolution at a distance.

The latter is always going to look and 'feel' better. The former is going to be more noticeable because you have all this eye candy that helps it look realistic, and then you get these weird anomalies (jaggies etc.) which completely erode any sense of immersion.

Until consoles can overcome with consistency and on a level to match PCs, then they won't evolve in any significant way.

Which is why I have to agree that another console purchase won't be for quite some time.

@Yogurt

I thought the Wii was a joke at first, a gimmick at best. Then after a year or two I gave in and decide to get one. Big mistake. The novelty(and that's all it is) wore off so fast it wasn't funny. The only other purpose it might have is to act as a pseudo-media centre with it's connectivity options and browser capabilities; but the lack of file format recognition and the terrible browser engine means it failed utterly as anything other than a party trick for nine year olds when it's a rainy day.

The Wii had to exist as it's a building block, a stepping stone for future consoles. I guess that's it's real destiny.

16. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    newconroer says thanks.
  17. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    OMG I wanna derail this thread so bad it almost hurts. However I wanna hear about the new Xbox/PS3 crusher that is the Wii 2 so I wont.

19. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Supposedly the successors to the Xbox 360 and PS3 will be unveiled or released in 2014, though personally i'd rather have something different then just ''more power'', same with Nintendo's new system, i hate how they went back on there idea that power means nothing, but games mean something.

Though i am still excited for it.:)

20. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Uh are you suggesting a 'green' console?

21. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Nintendo's consoles have always been the ''greenest''. I'd personally rather have more games then more power and that is what Nintendo's belief system was until they realized they were failing badly on the third party support and they themselves weren't bringing much out either and that was hurting their profits badly(their profits fell 66% according to the article). Hence releasing a new system with more power opens doors for more developer support which bring in more money.

So what they're doing is smart, but they're fairly hypocritical in what they set out to do.

22. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    well obviously nintendo wii outsold any other console out there, however games sales were a completely different story. It basically said "you're concept is awesome but your games suck." So beefing up the hardware may help provide better games with better graphics which is really what nintendo always used to do anyways.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  23. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Dear Sega,

Develop a new console.

Thanks,

The DannibusX Team

TheMailMan78 says thanks.
  24. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    so your illing to spend $500 on a consol that looks the same graphically as the last one only this one comes in mega bright white?

25. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I gotta agree when the DC was released sega focused on games and appealed to every age group, but sadly it didn't last, . . . . . . . so sad.

hell i would donate to sega if they said they would try.