• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New nVidia drivers just released WHQL Forceware 90.31 drivers !

Rodster

I have second thoughts on the new 91.31 drivers

I hope I like the new Contol Panel i've been reading about. I guess i'll find out soon enough. :)

Last edited:

Rodster

I have second thoughts on the new 91.31 drivers

I don't like the new driver set particularly the new Control Panel. I find it very instrusive and downright annoying.

For starters I get a message on boot up telling me it's disabled SLi mode because I have one card, no sh*t sherlock. If it appeared once ok but everytime I boot up I get this message. I went into CP to try and disable it, can't find a way to turn it off.

CP appears in the System Tray on startup everytime I boot up. I switched to classic view and went under tools and disabled NVtray on startup. Well that doesn't work because it re appears when you bootup again and it automatically turns itself back on. OK so I went into MSCONFIG and disabled it in my startup. Guess it doesn't care cause it reappears in my systray when I reboot and of course the lovely "SLi Mode has been disabled" message as well.

How in the hell did this crap get past beta? :banghead:

I guess i'm going back to 84.21, don't need the aggrevation.

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
I had absolutely no problems with Nvidia forceware 90 on Darth Flatulence. Though, catalyst 6.5 does give me some troubles on my main machine lol. It configured "smartgart" each time my computer started. It overheated my card and the drivers gave me less performance then 6.4. So now I'm running 6.4 with the latest DX9.0c.

b1lk1

System Name Money pit
Processor Q2Q Q8300
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 deluxe WIFI AP@N
Cooling 120.2/Swiftech655/Apogee GT/DD Fillport & res
Memory OCZ PC3-1333MHZ 2X1GB/Kingston HYPERX PC3-1325MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4830
Storage Seagate 7200.11 1TB
Display(s) Dell 2209WA
Case some crap 5 year old generic modded case
Audio Device(s) X-FI fagtality
Power Supply PC P&C 510W
Software Vista Premium 64
My PC also configured "smartgart" every time I started my PC but a thorough driver cleaning and reinstall of the 6.5's stopped it. I am not convinced they are any faster than the older ones, but they are stable so I stuck with them.

Rodster

Another update

I went to the nZone forum and it appears others are pretty upset that the SLi Balloon Message pops up for them as well on bootup. Someone thinks editing the Registry can fix this.

This is unacceptable for a WHQL release. What's even worse is that this release is causing more problems than the 84.21 driver set. Two users reported their fans quit working on their card.:eek:

They went back to the previous release and all is well. I guess I decided to do the same. :rolleyes: