1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New OS Drive recommendation

Discussion in 'Storage' started by dadi_oh, Jul 16, 2009.

1. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been sharing a WD Green 1TB drive between the OS installation and half of my DVD collection. Time to get a dedicated drive for the OS and apps. After doing a bunch of reading on SSD's I think that a decent one is just too expensive. Also, I'm not convinced that the reliability hit of RAID 0 would justify any performance improvement (some suggest benchmarks benefit but real life difference is not so noticeable)? Anyways, feel free to correct that if you think it is mistaken.

So now I am looking at just a budget 7200rpm drive that would fit the bill. I am in Canada so the prices listed are $CDN which, from comparing newegg.com to newegg.ca, is just the exchange rate.

So... this one? Seagate 7200.12 Barracuda 500GB 16MB cache 3 year warranty
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395

or this one? WD Caviar Black 500GB 32MB cache 5 year warranty
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

Is the 32MB of the Caviar black and extra warranty worth $20? My gut instinct is telling me Caviar Black.... on a cracker with some vodka.... mmmm....

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you can swing $80 bucks Dark is selling 32gb Patriot Warp V2's in a thread here. I've been using one as my primary O/S drive for a few months and it's been great! The drives you list are a total toss up for me. They are both fast.

dadi_oh says thanks.
  3. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I have that same black, and I have also the 1.5tb segate .12 drive. And I'm getting around 45s to transfer a gig from one drive to the next. I'm more looking into getting a SSD drive myself as os. For best bang for the buck I will say the Patriot is a great ssd. The best ones other there, SSD wise, is OCZ Vertex... But thats going to cost ya a penny or two..

dadi_oh says thanks.
  4. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are the SSD's noticeably faster in everyday use? Seems like I pay double the price for 1/10 the storage space. I know it is OS only but to be honest I am lazy when it comes to SW installations so I just let them install on teh C drive. Now I would have to pay attention ;)

5. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you benchmarked the two and compared performance? Seems that copying files between the 2 would just go at the speed of the slowest drive?

6. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is a Super Talent SSD that one reviewer claims is an OCZ Vertex 2 in disguise.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820609392

So what is going through my mind is this one 32GB SSD is the same price as 2 WD Caviar Black 500GBs... Would a RAID 0 of the Caviars give similar performance to this single SSD? I know I know, I need to research...

7. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    fits teted em an teh seagate is faster

8. erocker

Thanks Received:
    WD Green 1TB:
    [​IMG]

Patriot Warp V2 32gb

[​IMG]

9. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    @ erocker

So would I be correct in reading teh charts and saying that the WD 1TB drive gets about 95MB/s over the first 32GB and the SSD gets about 145MB over it's 32GB? So about 50% faster as far as sequential speed goes?

10. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Average read 77 ~ 140. The SSD is almost twice as fast plus the random access time is crazy better 13.7ms to .2ms. The difference between this SSD and the 250gb single platter Seagate I was using is night and day. Everything seems to go instantly.

dadi_oh says thanks.
  11. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aaahh. That is what I am looking for. Noticeable real life performance increase rather than just benchmark performance. Hmmm... so what about that 64GB Super Talent drive I linked above?

So many choices... so little money :toast:

12. erocker

Thanks Received:
    That's a 32gb too. It also isn't a Vertex in disguise since a Vertex of that size is 30gb.

13. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I answered my own question. Found a review that shows the following... I guess you get what you pay for... half the performance of the other SSD drives in the review.

Attached Files:

15. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    I ended up pulling the trigger on this Caviar Black 640GB. Reviews were good and some suggested that the 640GB version was a little faster than the 500GB.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

At some point I have to try out the SSD drives but I think I will wait until the Indilinx versions drop in price. Too many bad reviews of the early Jmicron versions. I think I will be on the trailing edge on SSD's once the bugs are ironed out.