1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New PC Builder, so I have a few questions.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by C0mrad3, Aug 16, 2006.

1. C0mrad3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I finally took the plunge and began messing with my computer, up until a few days ago, my computer experience was limited to removing viruses or software or just menial organizational file tasks.

I went and installed a slave hard drive, a hard drive cooler, a dvd drive, a new sound card and cleaned my pc of dust and filth while quieting some noisy fans in the process.

I also ordered a 550W Rosewill power supply and a Powercolor X800GTO 256MB AGP Card

While going about cleaning my pc and what not, I had a few questions:

1) Is there a big difference between the digital and analog sound cords that connect your dvd drive to your sound card?

2) Is it easy to swap out a CPU fan for a new one while still keeping the old CPU?

3) My videocard will be arriving, well, today technically, it's 1:30AM. The power supply I ordered is scheduled to arrive on Friday. The videocard I ordered "reccomends" 350W power supply, I currently have a 300W (which is why I ordered the Rosewill). Do you think my pc will be able to function until Friday? Because I don't want to wait for it.

I have more questions but I don't want this thread becoming any more involved or lengthy than it already is,

Thanks guys,
    John

2. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. uh, digital sounds better.... you shouldn't have to connect a seperate cable. should run digitally thru your ide channel, and should automatically enable thru xp. your drive has to be pretty new-ish (my 3 year old drive can do it)

2. yep! takes a bit of planning in advance, you have to pull out the mobo again to install it, and put on new thermal paste, but if you have a few hours in the afternoon, you can do it.

3. should, i think. my buddy's running a sapphire x800gto agp on a 300w, and it seems to work pretty ok. hes lucky. should be ok till friday (unless it doesn't work at all, then it won't. you'll know when it won't: you won't get a picture). but you'll need that psu asap after that.

3. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    the digital out on a dvd rom is better to use than ide channel it provides better sound and it lets you control it thru the sound card page but correct me if im wrong but dont you need a special digital connector vs the good old analog one (like im using)

4. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i don't think you need one. i don't have one hooked up to my dvdrom drive, and i still get digital sound out of it.