1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New PC, Opinions appreciated.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Hellfire, May 3, 2010.

1. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Hello folks,

I am going through a process of upgrading my new PC, Where as before (and with this PC) I built myself, unfortunately due to time issues (1 child, 1 on the way and high work commitments) I do not have the time to build any more.

Firstly I appreciate this is a US based board from what I can tell so my prices may be confusing to some of you.

the rig I have had built is still a quote so I will go ahead when they reopen after the holiday weekend.

This is for a quoted price of £1100 GBP and when I use my normal suppliers, Scan.co.uk, Ebuyer.co.uk and others I get a order cost of around £1000 so I am not saving a lot by custom build, without seeming big headed the time needed is worth more than that to me due to my wife being about ready to pop.

Opinions on this rig and case would be appreciated, I want to know how easy it'll be to pop another 5850 in to Crossfire this bad boy. also as far as rigs go how does it look?

Many thanks,

2. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Firstly the optical drive... why have you gone for IDE, the type of drive itself isn't too bad, pretty much have the same version except Sata connection.

I would recommend getting another hard drive for your OS (operating system) and use the 1TB as backup/storage, maybe get a nice SSD drive for your OS?

Ditch that case... I see you have water cooling in the list, and the case itself isn't too bad for cooling but it's certainly not the best even for it's price range.

Besides that everything look's fine to me, nice to see you've chose AMD! :D

3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    You can probably save some money by skipping on the
    :roll:

But on a serious note, personally I wouldn't get a IDE DVD drive, get SATA. Also, while it's good a good chipset, why go with a 790 chipset board instead of a 890 chipset. They cost the same, and the 890 is the newer chipset.

Hellfire says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Ahh yes, I didn't explain, the Optical Drive is what comes as standard FoC with the build, just never chose a different one. will prob change that.

HDD I should've mentioned, I have a 300gb Sata drive I dug out of my sky HD box when I upgraded that so will load my OS onto that and use the 1TB drive for storage.

Again, the case is one which came with the selection with no added cost and out of the others available I chose it for purely cosmetic, however I will have a look at the others.

Many thanks,

5. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Maybe if you could list the other's here? :)

I have the X-Blade case, and it does like to collect heat in certain area's, but maybe with water cooling this wouldn't matter.

Hellfire says thanks.
  6. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Actually, while yes, this is a english language site, the Administrator of the site is German, and currently lives in Germany.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    These are the Mobo's the website offers
    I assume you mean the Asus M4A89GTD the 890GX? I never noticed that, it even cuts £33.00 of the price, Cheers mate.

I've now changed to a Sata Optical Drive so all is good there :)

these are the cases in my price range on the website, I did pick the Xblade purely over Cosmetic, clear side, blue LED's etc, I know.. bad reason to choose.

8. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Person who runs this website is a German.

What are you going to use this system for?

9. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Ahhh my mistake,

I am hopefully going to use it as a gaming rig, just for clarity, i'll post all the cases available with the prices.

Cases Available

10. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Ahhh my mistake, Didn't mean any offence with the American link, Looking around more it does seem quite multinational.

I am hopefully going to use it as a gaming rig, just for clarity, i'll post all the cases available with the prices.

Cases Available

11. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Weird, for some reason my last replies are not showing up!

Here is a full list of cases available, a suggestion would be appreciated. I would like to use the rig for gaming :)

12. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    What's your price limit though? I'd of thought with a baby on the way and one already here the budget would have to be tightened :(

13. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    My budget is about what this is costing me around £1100

From what I am reading, I am deffo swapping the motherboard out for the Asus M4A89GTD PRO instead of the Asus M4A79-T Deluxe

14. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    and swopping the optical IDE for SATA :D

15. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Already done Mr Tech2,

16. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    For the case, I'd throw in a couple of suggestions, the CM 690 II advanced (there is the old one on your list) They may be cheap but the cooling and layout are aewsome. And the don't feel flimsy. I have a Haf 922 myself, really good case too (only downside is it isn't painted inside stock) The Nzxt tempest is great for its money too, other than that, I'd fancy the Antecs, great build, cooling and tons of options. The corsairs are good too, but the price...

The rest of the build is good, but like others have said before, ditch the IDE drive, in boards nowadays, you only get to connect 2 IDE's, so better leave it open for old HDD's if you've got some. And whats up with the usb ports? are you buying them? If so forget about it, your board and case will give you plenty of ports already.

Hellfire says thanks.
  17. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    For not going much above the pricing of yours and what seem's to be an major improvement on case layout I love the look of the NZXT Lexa S, I've not looked at all the other cases yet, but wanted to keep price a minimum for you.

EDIT: It also has hole's so you can thread your water pipes through the rear... the NZXT Lexa S is such a major improvement over the X-Blade.

Hellfire says thanks.
  18. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Cheers everyone, right, got a extra £100 so think I'll go for the Antec 1200 Black, Blue LED's make me happy.

The USB are what come as standard, can't remove it and it is what is included from the actual rear plate of the mobo,

So here is the new PC

It says intergrated 5.1 sound but as far as I know the mobo is 7.1 as standard.

Thanks for all the help people. The improvements look to be worth while, mobo changed, case changed and optical drive changed, this brings my total to around £1200 including postage to the Scottish Islands were I live.

BarbaricSoul and Techtu say thanks.
  19. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I probably speak for all here - Anytime... as long as your perfectly happy with your soon to be new gaming rig :D

20. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Friendly reminder, but you still haven't answered my question: What are you going to use this computer for?

21. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Heehee, I actually did in post 9, it'll be a gaming rig. but sorry for not making it clearer.

Fourstaff says thanks.
  22. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    He did :)

23. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Whoops, my bad. In that case I recommend you downgrade your ram to 4GB, 8 is currently too much. You can always add more later when your rig starts to slow down. Also, instead of going for the H50, get something cheaper, like the CNPS10X.

24. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately the website doesn't offer that cooler as a part, I'd add it myself but as I get a warrenty included I wouldn't want to void it.

My wife will also use the rig for CS5 and also multi tasking, for example I may play a game while she watches a movie via the HDMI output to the tv. Apart from cost is there any benefits in dropping the ram?

25. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    no, I would keep the RAM. are you overclocking? if not you can drop the h50 and keep stock cooling. the 1200 pushes enough air to keep just about anything cool. I do warn you though, with the fans on high its a bit loud (more than a bit). great case though.