1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New PC randomly restarting, Event 41 Kernel Power

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SethKnows, Jun 6, 2014.

1. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    Bios C-states at auto or enabled? And is 1.50v enough for your ram? try 1.52 or 1.55 or 1.60v..

2. SethKnows

Thanks Received:
    The stock cooler is broken, I gave my friend the new one that I got with my i7 when I sold him my old i5 just to be nice, not knowing that the old one was broken. Buy a cheap air cooler or replace motherboard? I'll check the settings in the bios right now.

3. SethKnows

Thanks Received:
    Disabled C-states and speedstep. Why wouldn't 1.5 be enough for the ram? I also ran memtest for at least 8 hours for each stick with no errors.

4. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    TheHunter didn't read the entire thread you can safely ignore him

5. Ruyki

Ruyki

Thanks Received:
    Could be either so it's your choice.

6. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    This.

See this thread that went nowhere...... http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/system-not-performing-well.198391/

95Viper says thanks.
  7. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    I am done as well either the Op is just DOING IT WRONG or has to be the unluckest pc builder ever .

SethKnows says thanks.
  8. SethKnows

Thanks Received:
    Specify what you think I'm doing wrong please, building a pc is the easy part, diagnosing and fixing the problem isn't, especially when the only knowledge you have is from the Internet. I think the terrible luck part is true, but I love My pc too much to give up. Thanks for your help.

9. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    Dont be so full of it..

Yes I've read either thread and I saw the part where he moved to another place and it kinda stopped.,

That's why I also suggested those issues, if you get sudden power off error41 out of nowhere its either cache voltage fault, c-states issue, cpu power current fault or ram voltage fault (if its rated 1.65v in xmp and you use lower) or even wrong LLC settings fault. Or bios if its older.

Im speaking from my personal experience using Haswell chip and I had this error41 one-two times when I first got the chip 1 year ago. I think I was testing slight OC with wrong voltages obviously + old unstable bios.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  10. SethKnows

Thanks Received:
    The bios is the most current version. C-states are disabled, as well as any other power saving options that I know of. I think the ram is rated at 1.5v and that's what it's at. Memtest didn't come up with any errors.
    YOU GUYS, I looked to see when the errors started happening, the first one being on 5/13. That's the same day I installed the NZXT kraken x60, wtf. Could it be the issue, even though it's shutting down in the bios? I ordered the Cooler Master Hyper 212 until I build my custom loop.

11. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    SethKnows doesnt know. He needs to know when to take it into a shop or listen- 3 things

Power supply cant handle load, cpu/ motherboard over heating/ over current protection or chitty components or wall plug

13. SethKnows

Thanks Received:
    I installed the software first before plugging it in. I'll try unplugging it. The psu can most definitely handle the load. The CPU stays cool in games, unless there's a ridiculous surge of heat that causes it to shut down. I have it hooked up to a Surge Protector that's rated up to about 4000 joules and I've tried multiple outlets in multiple houses. If the kraken x60 isn't the problem then I will take it to a shop to have it looked at.

14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Id say that be the best thing to do. Less youre warping that motherboard just slightly

15. SethKnows

Thanks Received:
    Well, I unplugged the usb from the motherboard that controlled the software for the Kraken x60 and I haven't had a problem for a long time until 5 minutes ago. The pc shut down again while playing Dishonored, I guess I'm going to take it to somebody to have it looked at. This pisses me off immensely.

16. sreekanth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi All

Iam new here and landed searching for the similar issue for my new pc. Its AMD 8320 with asus M5 A97 LE R2, 8 GB Kingston Fury RAM 1800, GEFORCE 210 I GB GPU, Zebronics cabinet LG DVD writer , SATA 1 TB Seagate HD. For me the issue started during installation of OS and later restarts restarts and picks the installation and some how completed it, as I believe this may be something to do with hardware, taking my pc to the purchased shop to rectify the issue, will update how it goes.

HI Seth, could you please share if you have any update , is your issue resolved?

17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I dont see how youre able to run your machine without a psu...

18. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    It just turns off? My asrock mobo did this. I returned it and the replacement has worked fine the past year.

19. SethKnows

Thanks Received:
    I have determined it is a faulty mobo, only thing that makes sense. I will replace when I have the money. I'm getting tons of unexplained game crashes along with the random shut downs. My audio appears to be acting up also, I won't buy an Asrock mobo again, I also sent them an email to start the RMA process months ago, but they have not replied to probably three of my emails. Terrible company. Thanks everyone for your help.

sreekanth says thanks.
  20. sreekanth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Eid,

I missed that earlier, it was a normal local ones I guess which gives out 450 , I had taken to the shop but it all looks like they haven't come across such issue before but they recemmonded that this would happen with chances of using Inverter at home and suggested to change the PSU and if prob still exists try with local separate ups, I have now changed to coolmaster 450, as of now I haven't got any restarts but you all know its very random , so lets wait for few more ... and update back

21. sreekanth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello All, After I changed my PSU I haven't got any problems till date.

22. bhaalkc

bhaalkc

Thanks Received:
    Just be sure you have proper airflow in the case. Allinone water sets obviously dont produce the airflow around cpu. I had similar problem with my pc few years ago, after getting h50 it crahed after few minutes while gaming (no overclock). It was due my h50 and poor airflow, the mainboard chipset got overheated.....

23. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

24. acupalypse New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know this has been resolved, but just want to throw in some inputs for anyone else searching the internet. I also have the asrock z87 oc formula board and it also shuts down the way as described here. It doesn't matter what you are doing, gaming, browsing, etc. it would just randomly shutdown/reboot - even if you're just navigating the BIOS screen. I also resolved mine by replacing the board. The issue on my board is the USB. If there's anything plugged into any of USB 3.0 port it would randomly shutdown OR restart on its own. I have another motherboard from another computer, swapped it out and worked perfectly fine. It's a very nice board but unfortunately its inherent issue is something that cannot be ignored.

25. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like there was a short