1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new power supply calculator

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ElectroZ, Feb 7, 2014.

1. ElectroZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there,

For the past few weeks, I've been working in a new PC wattage calculator project and the first version is finally released at powersupplycalculator.net

I know there are already half a dozen similar calculators out there but they rarely work like expected (or at all) or they just give you an rough estimate of the recommended wattage without anything really to support it.
    This calculator on the other hands tells you the actual idle and the load power consumption of the selected parts so you can have a better view of the true power usage of the system.

Try it and post comments here so I can improve it. I know its still missing some vital parts like PhysX cards and water pumps but they will be added later.
    kn00tcn, HTC, silentbogo and 10 others say thanks.
  2. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    I used it and I like it so far, but miss Overclocking in the calculation.
  3. SKBARON

SKBARON

Thanks Received:
    +1 for the overclocking calculation :)
    All in all it's pretty good.
  4. ElectroZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was trying to implement that but run in to a little problem. The stock core voltage is unknown for most of the cpu's listed in there and I assume they cannot be found easily anywhere. That means you would have to manually enter vcore and overclocked vcore and people (and I) hate every extra step :)
    Maybe I should still implement that since who uses a stock cpu anyways ;)
    Glad to hear some positive reviews :)
  5. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    all of the above
    + bigger hdd data base. i have seagate momentus 7200rpm which isnt included in drive list
    option for led fans
    everything else looks very well.
  6. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Not bad. It was 50w high on idle and 100w high on load. Recomendation was what I have

Need water pump option

Recommended power supply: 648 W
  7. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    I'm also currently working on a PSU calculator but I'm more aiming for getting OCed values properly.
    AMD TDP = 12V rail power draw I tested this with a Phenom II x4 965BE
    Here's the equation I use for gettign OCed TDP: (OCV / (stockV / (TDP / stockV)))*OCV*(OCmhz/Smhz). I think it overshoots once you put in frequency values so I'm doing testing to find a correction value. It doesn't work well with GPUs because GPU VRM efficiency(seems to drop really fast) is whack and it doesn't work with Nvidia cards at all because they have the damn BOOST algorithm.
    As for the voltage problem use a voltage range. So for sandy bridge have values ranging from 1.1V to 1.3V and for Ivy and Haswell have a 1V to 1.15V and for OCing people put in just the mhz and you can have it print out a few different voltages based on the preset ranges.
  8. pr0fessor

pr0fessor

Thanks Received:
    Pretty nice your work. I loled hard when I saw that I need a power supply 1251 Watt. A load power of 963 W is more than double as my current system is using (470 W). Highend soundcard and 7950 OC messed it up I think. My graphiccards are overclocked out of box, not oced manually.
  9. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Maybe when you typed "Many fans air conditioning" the calculator assumed you were using a kW air conditioner to cool your PC and adjusted the PSU requirements accordingly ;)

either that or

NANOMACHINES SON
  10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Corsair Force GT and OCZ Solid 3 missing..

And my idle is 78 not 105 and max is 370 which again is about 20w extra so not bad at all.

Although recommending a 500w is alright but it be nice if there was added notes for example up grading would be limited by the 500w, and by personal preference having a few extra 200w helps to keep the PSU from straining as much.
  11. pr0fessor

pr0fessor

Thanks Received:
    I didn't type anything of air conditioning at this website of course. 3 140mm (actually 200mm) fans 1 120 fan and I even forgot about the CPU fan. These are all at low-level-mode. Funny is also the biggest bar is at the CPU, which is not overclocked. :eek:

Edit: I found the thing. I took 4 CPU's, that's the fault. Now I have a recommended PSU of 770 Watt. Really nice! :clap:
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  12. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if you understood I was being sarcastic, or if you understood and are continuing with the sarcasm. I'm terrible at this text based business.
    pr0fessor says thanks.
  13. pr0fessor

pr0fessor

Thanks Received:
    I understood your irony my son. ;)
    RCoon says thanks.
  14. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    This is good, it seems to be the most accurate I tested so far. Good work, keep it up!

And just a simple bbcode "[sarcasm][/sarcasm]" will eliminate these problems by ~99%. You sarcastic people should start using it, so we can understand you better...
  15. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    [sarcasm]I find your lack of understanding disturbing[/sarcasm] <- WHAT IS THE POINT
  16. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    Now I was 100% sure you were being sarcastic. That's the point.

I don't know why this code was not included in board software till now... I never saw any yet...

Happy New Year!
  17. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I like this calculator alot. Some things I did notice lacking tho: 200mm fans are not listed as an option (They are seen more and more in newer cases from last 3 years), and you don't have any WD Velociraptors listed in HD database. I'm sure, being 10,000RPM, they will use more power, so it could be good to know.

Other than that, good job!
  18. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Need option to add infinite hard disks, 2 units seems a bit low : )
    (I have 5 actually, including one 1 TB SDD)
  19. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    you can add number of drives with first dropdown.
    2 units are for model/maunufacturer.
    your disk arnt the 5 different model/manufacturer arent they.
    so on first drop down you select nuber of drives (3x for example) on second model (wd green) this is read as 3xWD green and 3 wd green drives are added in calculation
    erixx says thanks.
  20. ElectroZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is already a note mentioning the upgrade thingy and PSU cooling if choosing a higher wattage PSU. Maybe it should be written more clearly...
    I'll be adding more hardware in the next release. Will check those drives too then.
    Good to hear the load result is in the ball park. Usually calculated load power is a bit higher than measured one since it's rare to have all the hardware working at a same time (all drives reading and writing + all cpus and gpus working etc).

Since weekend is coming, next release will be in the next week :)
  21. ElectroZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK I didn't know they are so common nowadays. Will be adding them and the most common 10,000RPM drives soon too (next week hopefully).
  22. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Awesome! Like I said, I like it, even with those minor things it comes out fairly close to what I am drawing (based on UPS readout), so you've done real good!
  23. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    it is much more inline with what i am pulling from my wall compared to other calcs like this. but it needs more options for cooling, pumps and all in one loops and such are very wide spread today.

great work dude :D
  24. dom99

Thanks Received:
    Works great and much more accurate than others I have used
    Blue-Knight says thanks.
  25. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I just did a rough input and it was pretty spot on for idle! Says 87w and I pull 89w,though overclocked. Load says 385w, which is right between my 3DMark11 and 3DMark13 readings. (I know it doesn't take in OC yet, but still pretty great)

Nicely done :respect:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD