1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new power supply calculator

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ElectroZ, Feb 7, 2014.

1. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    So true and the my max while gaming is about 280w although typically 210-230w, but as seen as there is programs out there to push the hardware it's better to have it's usage.

Maybe to say max usages are appox when using some thing like OCCT and note that gaming is more likely not to hit those numbers.
  2. Bugler

Bugler

Thanks Received:
    This is pretty good. You're off by 20 watts on my calc compared to a popular PSU rating site. It might be that I had to choose Seagate 1tb HDD when you don't have the list with Constellation Enterprise 1tb in it.
  3. ElectroZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    This week my cisco router broke and it created all kinds of problems so been a little busy but managed to get a new version out with little improvements.
    Added over 100 new hard drives and ssd drives and also 200mm fan. Maybe next thing is to add overclocking.
    powersupplycalculator.net
  4. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Congrats on improving an already fine program!
  5. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    dang even on that one the X4 760K is not referenced ... my older PSU calc i used was http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp who also don't have the X4 760K in the listing

Idle power: 84 W
    Idle power is the power drawn by the system when booted to a desktop while the computer is doing nothing at the given moment. Please note that idle power may be lower when computer screen is turned off or system is in deep sleep. Also if you have disabled any power saving features of the system, the result may vary. Idle power does not include power losses from the PSU itself.

Load power: 278 W
    Load power is the average power drawn by the system when running an intense 3D-game with all CPU-cores, drives and peripherals operating at maximum load. Load power is the maximum power the system may use in a typical real-world scenario. Please note that load power is not the absolute maximum power of the system. By running a synthetic benchmark, power consumption may increase even further. Load power does not include power losses from the PSU itself.

Recommended power supply: 371 W
    This is the minumum recommended PSU wattage for the selected components. Choosing a lower wattage PSU increases the risk of system to become unstable and noise from PSU to become annoying. Choosing a higher wattage PSU decreases efficiency at lighter loads, but leaves a margin for overclocking and future upgrades and also ensures the PSU stays cool and quiet.

kinda what i got with the other one (using a A10-6800K for ref instead of the X4 760K)
  6. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Would love to see a "mild OC" and "heavy OC" options for CPU and GPU separately, maybe a slightly larger HDD and CPU database (my older i7 930 is not listed, hey its not ancient yet!)
  7. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    nice site, i will use it in the future, i hope there will be adding a overclocking feature as asked before, keep up the good work ElectroZ :rockout:
  8. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    Good job! Thanks man!!!
    Even though some hardware is not on the list, it still gives a nice approximation for almost any system.
  9. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    if he add the same OC template as the site i linked previously, then it would pretty much be my official PSU calculator

yep just like i have to do my calculation with a A10 6800K instead of a Athlon X4 760K :D but even the others i tried don't have the Richland Athlon (tho they have the Trinity/Llano and i doubt the consumption of the highest Richland is too much different than the Trinity/Llano one)
  10. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    Add the X6 Phenoms, there are many floating around ;)
  11. ElectroZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Prayers has been answered yet again!

PowerSupplyCalculator now supports overclocking (or underclocking/volting) of the CPU and the results seems to correlate real world results quite well :)
    Also over 200 older CPU's has been added including those X6 phenoms.

Enjoy
    http://powersupplycalculator.net/
    rtwjunkie and GreiverBlade say thanks.
  12. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    ok im right on it :D feedback a bit later ;)

"Recommended power supply: 504 W
    This is the minumum recommended PSU wattage for the selected components. Choosing a lower wattage PSU increases the risk of system to become unstable and noise from PSU to become annoying. Choosing a higher wattage PSU decreases efficiency at lighter loads, but leaves a margin for overclocking and future upgrades and also ensures the PSU stays cool and quiet.

NOTICE: We didn't find the real SLI / CF result for the selected GPU configuration. GPU power is calculated without the link."

the last part bug me a bit (other than i still have to do my calculation with a A10-6800K)
    but its 30w under my other PSU calculator

according to the other one i would be 5W above my 530W PSU in a R9 270 CFX scenario
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  13. ElectroZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    The notice text comes every time when the database is missing the real (measured) power consumption of the selected video card in SLI/CF configuration. And that's simply because I don't have all the multigpu-results of the cards.
    There are now 393 video cards in the database. Lets assume that 30% of them supports bridging up to 4 cards together. That's about 120 cards and each card holds 8 measured values (4 idle and 4 load). That's 960 results I would have to hunt down from somewhere to fix this error :) No time for that and all of the results can't be found anyhow.
    Instead, when multigpu result is not found, the power consumption of a single card is just multiplied with the card count so it might be a bit higher than the real consumption.
    Currently 108 cards have at least the dual configuration result so that's quite decent for the time being.
  14. jcgeny

jcgeny

Thanks Received:
  15. ElectroZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you clarify how its buggy? The CPU count is the number of physical processors on the system (so typically should remain 1 unless using a server board). It should add up to the result is it's working correctly. The recommended PSU is the minimum recommendation, not what you should actually buy. I believe most of us don't have system running at maximum power all the time so it's ok to utilize 80% of the available power at load, but that's my opinion as a PSU designer ;)

I should probably clarify the recommended PSU text a bit next :)

ps. I'm referring to those PSU's that actually delivers what they promises. If you purchase a cheap-ass chinese PSU then 50% more would be recommended since they do not give out the output they are labeled for.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Blue-Knight says thanks.
  16. jcgeny

jcgeny

Thanks Received:
    if i select two cpu , then list should shows compatible cpus like opteron 4000 or xeon 5500 but not i3 or i5 ..
    80% of power is the max delivery for a psu or why they would check efficiency at this level and with first psu : being happy to loose only 20% of energy .

for myself i have bought 3 psu last year : all 80 platinium ; 4 years ago 2 80 silver...
    efficiency is now very important and good psu are made , each generation better than previous
  17. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    Seriously, this is not a problem... Please.
  18. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    Brother you've done really well with this congrats :toast: I did a little calculating for my machine and the PSU that was recommended is smaller than what I use and max draw seems just about right :respect::rockout::lovetpu:
    Blue-Knight says thanks.