1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New PS3 Firmware Brings Back Rumble... Almost

Discussion in 'News' started by Jimmy 2004, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    With the release of Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction DualShock is finally returning to the PlayStation family following Sony's legal disputes with Immersion. Although the firmware is not available for download yet (it’s only included with the Ratchet and Clank game at present) version 1.94 gives games the ability to a vibration signal to controllers. The downside is that the DualShock 3 controller won’t actually be available until next spring, so gamers will still have a fair wait, although the new hardware should be released in Japan during November if you’d like to import one. Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune and Assassin’s Creed are also set to feature rumble before the DualShock 3 controllers are released, and current games like Resistance: Fall of Man and MotorStorm should receive downloadable patches to enable rumble.

Source: DailyTech

2. Helvetica New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sony should just surrender the PS3 to MS. Then they can combine their forces to make the ultimate console! Xenon + Cell, RSX + Xenos = WOot

3. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    What a POS,PC FTW, Yiiiiiiiiiiipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Helvetica says thanks.
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Adding features is a good thing, but I don't really notice the lack of rumble on my ps3. It being missing, doesn't really degrade the gaming experience in any way.

5. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    I missed the rumble constantly when I played a PS3. It annoyed me that it wasn't there actually. It's a preference thing- which I think they should allow in game just like on the PS2; where it was available but also could be turned off.

6. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    I wish there was a rumble keyboard!:laugh:

7. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    meh, just import the controllers from japan.

8. Helvetica New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it does. When you smash someone in the face with a baseball bat, it's nice to feel it. When you drive your car off a cliff and it blows up, it's nice to feel it. Rumble DEFINATELY adds to the experience.

9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Eh, it's down to personal opinion. Not having it doesn't take away anything for me.

10. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    I always found the vibrating controllers to be really cheesy and annoying...detracted from my experience to hold onto a vibrator whilst playing.

11. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Sweet. Like Wile_E said, Im not missing rumble one bit. Its nice on the 360, makes my hands happy happy joy joy, but it doesnt take away from my gaming abilities.