1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Ram Standards

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by [H]@RD5TUFF, Jan 8, 2010.

1. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    So I recently read in an industry magazine about 2 new technologys and memory standards.

The first is threaded memory. Claiming this will "reduce reduce power consumption by 20%, while running in threaded mode compared to conventional non-threaded it reduces the number of transaction by a factor of 2 while doubling the size of the transactions." Who is behind this new standard and technology, it may surprise you, well maybe one won't. But one is Kingston, and the other is Rambus, yes Rambus :eek:.

The second is called Serial Port Memory. This works more or less by using "independent high-speed serial links similar to that of PCI Express to connect a host to memory, reducing the number of required connections compared to a parallel bus". So it sounds like this would be the one that would be easier to implament, but would make ram more costly. But we all know what moving from AGP to PCI Express did for the graphics card market, it helped them go from being a CPU bottle neck to the CPU bottle necking the GPU.

Anyway I just thought I would share this with you and see what your guys thought, maybe some of you already know maybe you don't, just thought I would share.

[​IMG]

2. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Rambus comes up with plenty of new things. It's nothing new. We probably won't see any of it in the PC market.

As for serial port memory, that sounds exactly like FB-DIMMs. The switch being the AMB.

3. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Threaded memory sounds nice :)

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Well I found it interesting that Kingston had paired up with Rambus to develop the technology, perhaps they have finally found some tech that has some merit and will be develpoed ?:wtf: