1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Rig for Work - opinions and help urgently needed please.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Black Panther, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    *Sigh* I couldn't talk my dad out of ordering one rather than build one myself for cheaper - he wants the 3 year warranty and a reputable LOCAL company to take care of ANY stuff in case anything happens. Must be the disadvantage of being young, or being a girl... :ohwell:

Coming to think of it I shouldn't complain really since my dad should be classified as a computer-killer (his curiosity makes him suck up viruses by opening spam email attachments immediately, recently to make a sound card 'work' he used a wire to bridge (aka short) the soundcard with the onboard sound of the mobo, he ruined a mobo recently by trying to force in different RAM, and the latest one was that he freaked out the work pc by downloading some 'speed-up-your-pc' program from the net... that not mentioning saving various stuff whether it be his photos or downloaded stuff in whatever place on the HD he fancies.... and... well it'd take me till tomorrow to type all his experiments so I give up!)

Anyway, we went to this shop here http://www.atozltd.com/pages/homepage.aspx

FYI, computer stuff is quite expensive in my country - before I bought the parts for my rig (see system specs on left) last April I checked with that same shop and the price went up to USD2000. I purchased the same parts from several other European countries and the pc which would have cost me $2000 cost me $1080 built myself, which is half the price. And if only Newegg shipped to Malta the whole thing would have been at least 30% cheaper... :ohwell:

To get USD from my currency you just multiply the local Lm price x3.

At least my dad left the choice of the majority of the parts to me.

CPU: The store offered a choice between the E4400 and E6320. I wanted to go for an E6600 at least but they don't have it in stock (and my dad won't buy a cpu elsewhere because he has good business relationships with the owner of that shop and he always purchases stuff from there etc etc blah blah...) So I chose the E6320, 4MB Cache at least not like the E4400 with 2MB Cache, it is 1.86Ghz but I can always oc it to 2 Ghz or slightly more on stock cooler to discreetly juice out the output. :D
    The prices for the processor are here http://www.atozltd.com/pages/productcatalogue.aspx?catid=1162&level=2&MN=SubMenu2 Just take the Lm price and multiply it x3 to get USD. Being a work pc we'd also get an 18% govt refund on VAT though so the price to us will end up as 18% cheaper. What I saw funny on that site is how the E6300, identical but with 2MB cache is a whole 30 dollars more expensive than the E6320. Makes no sense for me.:confused:

Then there is some case+mobo+psu which would come as a package costing Lm56.50 ($144). All I know is that they're all branded ASUS which is a brand I approve, but the tower is a mini not a midi. :ohwell: I couldn't find that combo anywhere on their site. I had actually told my dad to get an Asus mobo rather than some other Ascrap and that was the choice he was given...

As regards the HDD it's going to be the MAXTOR 160GB SATA2 7200RPM mentioned here http://www.atozltd.com/pages/productcatalogue.aspx?catid=1039&level=3 which in my opinion is too small considering the price, and considering that half of it will already be taken up full of photos, pdf's and music which my dad downloaded (the pc shop will also copy the contents of the old HD onto the new HD)... AND I don't particularly like Maxtors because they run hot - every one we've had ran at over 40 degrees and to couple it up dad isn't really careful when it comes to switching off since sometimes he switches off the warehouse's power before the pc shut down... cling and ouch.

A dvd-rw he was suggested one costing $48 (Lm16.20) which I can't still locate on their site.

For the RAM they quoted one 2GB Ram stick for him (667Mhz) , saying that it cost $150, but when I checked the online prices the only one 2GB Apacer stick they have available is $144. (Site reference here: http://www.atozltd.com/pages/productcatalogue.aspx?catid=1025&level=2&MN=SubMenu2 ) The price difference isn't major but the real issue is - isn't 2x1Gb run in dual channel supposed to give better performance than just 1x2Gb RAM module?

Plus that the issue is that I don't really know which ASUS mobo he chose and whether it has only 2 slots or 4 slots. Since it might be advantageous to buy the 2GB module if the mobo has 2 slots and maybe get another identical 2GB module when we get Vista later.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any advice you have for this setup. It's not going to be used for gaming but mainly for Microsoft Office and Sage Financial Controller (on my part) and browsing the internet, downloading videos and music, downloading pdf's, crap, craap and craaapppp... from my dad's part.

I bought the components of my rig in April for a total cost of $1080 (because I can't reclaim the 18% VAT refund otherwise it'd have cost me even less) and he's buying this stuff for $900 (taking into account VAT refund and considering he's buying it with onboard sound and video) in August.

Thanks a lot for any feedback!
    :respect:
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  2. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    For the case situation, mid tower if you need to put in large gfx cards, if not mini should be fine. Also, I wouldn't say the mobo is good because it's an Asus but I would research it some, while Asus is generally a good company, even good companies mess up sometimes. Oh, and what gfx card is he using? Psu?
  3. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    It's just the stuff I mentioned in the previous post. Onboard graphics, onboard sound. Dad did check and the mobo's got a pci-e slot though, so future upgrades might still be possible if the computer isn't used for work anymore but for gaming, I'll know the precise psu specs tomorrow.....

PSU - their lowest psu on atoz site is 300W so I'm betting it'd be within that area or more.

I'm aiming to get 2 years+ from this pc as a work pc, using just internet, word and Sage, and maybe a couple of games for my 5 year old to pass the mornings.
    That is unless dad manages to kill it... :laugh:
  4. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ohh ok. lol, internet and word you can get 5+ years. As long as you stick with the original os, once you decided to upgrade to a future one (say beyond vista) it goes crazy. We have a computer that is 7 years old and it was designed for 98, but when we put xp on there it was so slow because of the os upgrade. Now it has a blown fuse in the psu :(
  5. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    We're putting XP Pro on it. It 'should' be OK for vista if we install that in the future but for now we're staying with xp so as to ensure compatibility with the Sage program.