1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Rig, New Questions

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by LemurHaloEcho, Mar 1, 2013.

1. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    I have i7 with the HD4000 + 660gtx combo on my laptop. It's great for accelerating web pages(especially flash) and that's where it ends. But I was fortunate enough to be able to switch to the 660gtx when I need it. I tried gaming on the HD4k for giggles and it was hopeless.

The difference in battery makes the hd4k worth it on laptop though. Although AMD's trinity does better. Web browsing with HD4k gets me 4-5 hours. The same tasks with 660gtx gets me 2.5 hrs. With gaming, the difference was only about 15 mins. I would've bought the AMD A10 but those laptops never come with SSD and backlit keyboards.

2. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think laptops and gaming are a bad combo in general:banghead:
    I'm going to install Crysis1 now and see what happens, lol.

3. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    My laptop does well. I can play most games at very respectable frames. I just hate the keyboard and the small screen.......and the price :(

4. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Crysis maxed 8xaa is butter smooth, but so is F1 2012 at 110fps@1200p
    This new system is so fast at times it's not funny, especially loading games.

I used to think 30fps was acceptable, but I now think the magic no of 60fps is a much better experience.

I must've had a huge bottleneck with either my old CPU or DDR2 ram, maybe both.

5. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    Turn Vsync on or caps. Some games push your system to the max and causes crashes and stuttering. SC2 used to do that to me along with another game(i forgot). As soon as I vsync at 60, the crashes and random stuttering went away.
    The other bonus is you don't burn out your components as fast. You will notice less screen tearing when you turn fast in fps too.

Kwod says thanks.
  6. LemurHaloEcho

LemurHaloEcho New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey again guys! It's been a while now, and i've finally built my new machine and it's running perfectly! :D I'm able to play DayZ at 60+ FPS, StarCraft 2 at 100+ FPS, as well as FarCry 3: Blood Dragon (got free with my card ;) ) at 60+ FPS. Installs take moments rather than hours, and despite running at all stock / auto settings, i've yet to find something that slows me down! :O

So people, here's what i went with in the end; (Thanks to you all for such great, patient and understanding advice!)

CPU: AMD FX-6300
    Mobo: ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0
    CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
    RAM: Patriot Viper 3 "Venom Red" 1600mhz - 2 x 4GB
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD7850 1GB Dual-X
    PSU: Corsair CX600M
    SSD: 64GB Crucial M4
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm
    Case: Corsair Carbide 300R Windowed (BARGAIN ALERT - £53!)

All in, delivered, for £612 with postage.

Got Windows 7 Home Premium from my dad for free, so i'm on a 64-bit OS too! Life is great gentlemen, and i'd happily recommend any of these parts to you all :D

*EDIT* And for those interested, using HWMonitor it displays both my CPU and Motherboard temps, under load the CPU doesn't get above 42c on a hot day, and without using my custom fan profile on Sapphire TRiXX my 7850 doesn't get above 57c on a hot day! If i use the fan profile i get it down to 51c under full load :D

Idle temps after 10 mins in desktop for CPU is 27c to 29c, GPU is 29 to 31c, so i'm right in the sweet-spot for all my temps, this case has great airflow even with just stock fans, but beware, if you're going for this case in the future, buy some magnetic dust filters for the roof of it, just allows dust to fall on in unfortunately!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    Norton says thanks.
  7. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Nice build! :toast:

Time to update your system specs!!!

<<<< ;)

LemurHaloEcho says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. LemurHaloEcho

LemurHaloEcho New Member

Thanks Received:
    System Specs updated, life is good! :D Thanks buddy!

Norton says thanks.