1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"New" Samsung HDD, programs for testing Speed?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by jboydgolfer, Dec 12, 2012.

1. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I got a "new" HDD from a PC I salvaged, and it is in Fantastic Condition, Looks Like it was opened Yesterday, However I was curious How I can Check it's speed , and if it has any issues. It SEEMS to Work perfectly, I Formatted , and I'm putting Some Files on it Now, But I'd love to know if it's Faster than My 3-5 year old Seagate Flounder. Also It makes this "Whirring" Sound once in a while , (Almost Exactly like a DVD Drive). I know that May be Normal, But it's in My nature to Check Stuff out. ( the performance Not the "Whirring").
    Any Free Programs to Check HDD speed like AsSSd, or the like.

Thanks For the help

2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    There are a number of free (or trial period) hard disk benching programs you can download such as HDTune Pro, HD Tach or ATTO Disk Benchmark just to name a few. And I think the "SSD Life" devs also made one for hard disks. It will show you how long it has been in operation and check S.M.A.R.T. status.

P.S. I think you need a new keyboard.

3. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Why?

4. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I'd run HDTune and see how it performs.

jboydgolfer says thanks.
  5. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    You're capitalizing random words. :laugh:

Jetster, jboydgolfer and AthlonX2 say thanks.
  6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    jboydgolfer says thanks.
  7. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah , I Hurt My hand years Ago in an Accident, And i don't have feeling in Some of My Right hand , and I cant tell if it's touching the Shift key because I cant feel it. I apologize if it's annoying, I'm Sorry.

Also this keyboard Suck's and is Tiny, and it Doesn't help that I'm a Pretty big guy, it's hard some times, and I'm not the Best typist. I Don't Even Own a Cellular Phone. I Fix it So just the first letter is capitalized, instead of the first three , or last two. I guess I should fix it all.

8. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  9. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I've never tried it myself, but it looked interesting. Wonder if it's dependant on the Win7 version, or the controller being tested through.

If you want to test the drive for reliability, Seatools from Seagate or Data Lifeguard Diags from WD.

I'm having trouble typiing myself, must be catching, lol

jboydgolfer says thanks.
  10. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Samsung 160Gb HDD
    [​IMG]

Sea Gate "Barracuda" 160Gb HDD
    [​IMG]

I Should mention , that The Barracuda has a Broken Sata plug port, it Snapped off one day when I was Cleaning the PC.

It seems that now I have another question after testing, that is bothering me. Based on these results , should I switch My O.S. to the Samsung? It is Clearly a faster(more reliable) HDD, or is it because the Sea gate has the O.S. on it , that makes it slower? Or the Broken Plug? which I admit is FAR more likely the cause of it's Poor performance. This PC is My gaming PC, and it seems like it would behoove me to switch out the old sea gate.

Also ,what would be the best way to Migrate to the Samsung in the Most Painless way? Or should I just Start from Scratch with the New drive? I'd love to "clone" the Sea gate, or whatever it's called. I've Only ever done Clean installs of an O.S.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly, and Sorry for the Random Capitalizing.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  11. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Is there a way to Move my OS to a new HDD with out doing a total reinstall, like Copying my HDD or Something? Or Do I need to just start from Scratch?

12. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    You can clone the old OS to the "new HDD", boot on it and reformat the old one

btw I love reading your posts lol, random capital letters

jboydgolfer says thanks.
  13. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I've used Norton Ghost in the past and there are a few others. Google "Clone HDD"

Look here regarding WD download:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-21563_102-558540/what-is-the-best-way-to-clone-a-hard-drive/

LOL, quit picking on him :)

jboydgolfer says thanks.
  14. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    I don't think he was "picking on him" per se but yeah let's just drop it as it's not being done on purpose and that is not what this thread is about anyway.

As for a good free imaging/cloning program use Macrium Reflect (free edition) or maybe a Clonezilla livecd. Can download a free copy of Acronis True Image Home from Western Digital if this drive is one of theirs.

15. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    The original is a seaGate. The second is a samysung. whatever Works best For those two ,I guess.

16. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    I just tried Macrium for the first time and it was pretty nice and easy. With that you would make an image file of your present system and then restore it to the new drive. Clonezilla will be a bootable linux CD that can do just a straight clone from one drive to the other and may be better for your present needs. But have not used it personally, as yet.

jboydgolfer says thanks.
  17. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    I'm Going this Way. It looks pretty simple, so I'm gonna Make the Clone Now , before the original gives up on me, that way I can just switch Now instead of later, when I'm forced to because of HDD failure.

Thanks for the Help.

18. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yep. Macruim has it's own linux "rescue/restore cd" you boot from and then select the image file you made and what drive you want it on. The GUI has a button to burn one right there...

Also this is all obviously easier if you have a USB drive or something big enough to save the image file on.

jboydgolfer says thanks.
  19. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:

I HATE, How I ALWAYS forget the USB drive option, I have had a 80Gb seagate Flex drive installed @ the Back of My PC desk for almost a damn year now, and I always use My Cd's.:banghead:

Well it's Done Now ,and My numbers look much better.

Thanks For ALL the help. I REALLY appreciate it.

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  20. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    I seems as though the O.S. was Causing Some Slow Down for which ever Drive it was installed on, I don't know if this is Common or not, but the Proof is undeniable when you look @ the Earlier pic's when the Seagate was the O.S. drive. But either Way , the Seagate is Broken, so I'm more comfortable having the samsung as my C: drive.

No OS Seagate
    [​IMG]

With OS Seagate
    [​IMG]

Samsung with OS
    [​IMG]

Samsung No OS
    [​IMG]

As an FYI, No programs were running during these test, other than Normal OS background services.

Is it Common for the Drive to Slow down with the OS on it??
    or is there likely another cause? I'm just curious is all.
    To those who Helped me Yesterday, and May be interested in How it turned Out.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  21. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Time to install that 80GB on a front USB port. :p

Yes it can "slow down" with data on it, more noticeable as it gets fuller. Though I am actually not sure if that should be so evident in benchmarks as opposed to regular use. Because the inner part of the platter spins slightly slower due to basic physics so data on the outer edges will be read/written faster and drives "fill" from the outside in.