1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Scam

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by TheMailMan78, Jul 16, 2012.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    This might not be new to some of you but hackers just tried to nail me in a new way. It was pretty funny too. Anyway this is what went down so keep an eye out. The jerks are getting more tricky.

I got a call from an "Unknown Number". A PHONE CALL saying in a heavy accent that she was support from Windows and that my computer was infected with a "vicious virus malware". Trying to keep a straight face I asked her "Oh no! What should I do?!" She said that I needed to go to my computer and delete some files. I then got pissed and asked her how did you get my number? She said my computer sent the info to Microsoft and she was Window support. I then asked her "Does this scam work a lot?" She got upset "This no scam. Why would we be trying to remove the malware?" I asked her then "What do I need to install." She said "We will get to that." I told her to get bent and hung up.

In retrospect I should have went along and acted like I was fapping to her voice :laugh: Lesson? Hacker jerk offs are now hiring people to convince you to install crap on your computer. Tell your less tech savvy friends about this because she sounded almost legit. Of course I could have destroyed her with questions but the average user won't do that. They will freak out and blindly follow. Just let your friends know this is a scam.

95Viper, WarhammerTX and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Seen/heard of this happening before.

3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    thats not really new, had that happen to a few friends here in the UK last year.

4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah well it was new to me. I'm so gonna handle it different next time. :laugh:

5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Samething happened to me about 3 weeks ago. I led the guy on when he was trying to get me to start a remote connection for him into my PC HAHHAHA He ended up getting himself frustrated cause I didnt know what a "START BUTTON" was nor did I understand his shitty accent. After about 15 minutes of him trying to eplain to me step by step what to do I then started telling him how much I hated euro's and he got pissed and cussed me saying he was going to "BLOW UP" my PC. I then said his mother fucked a horse to have him and hung up.

Lovely chat I had the fellow...

MT Alex and digibucc say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. cmaxvt

cmaxvt

Thanks Received:
    I've been getting a lot of phone call/text messages lately that are all scams. It gets old. I am not sure how our numbers are so easily distributed.

7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: WIN. I really hope its a chick next time. I got everything figured out.

8. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    My boss got one last week of someone pretending to be fed ex to deliver a package. After countlessly asking for the tracking number the guy says and I qoute "Its a matter of national security and giving it to you will put you in danger...." < Yea this scumbag has watched too many movies.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    LOL I only get calls from time to time from an old Hispanics lady that doesn't talk English asking for someone I tell them the same shot every time...

But you guys need to stop calling those places to talk to girls you know its not those hot girls asking you to call but some fat chick your really talking to :roll:

10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Fat girls need lovin' too.

Anyway I figured it was an old scam but it was NEW to me. Now I just need to figure out how to get the Obama campaign people from calling me. My dad thought it would be funny to give em my number. Told em I was a progressive and worth millions. My dad is such a troll.

11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Hadn't heard of that one myself. Just wish you'd have messed with them more, it could have been fun!

12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I would have. But I'm working and on a tight deadline. I wish she would have called in the evening. I would have had more time to toy with her.

13. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    the last time i got one of these calls i pwnd the shit out of he person on the other line. I mean the first thing out of their mouths was " there is problem with your windows OS. " i asked him what OS i was using and his reply was "im not allowed to give that info out over the fone" after that i fucked with him for a good 10 minutes.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    not when she has more body hair then you LOL

But whatever floats your boat :)

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  15. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    i never had a scam call :(
    only thing ever happent to me that some monks offered me some bibbels orso

16. ironwolf

Thanks Received:
    Gotta love scammers, they will try every angle. Similar situation happened to me at work few months ago. I reeled the idiot in, he thought he had me totally hooked. I told him I had to put him on hold for about 30 seconds, I put the phone down, pretended to put him on hold, then asked another co-worker what the number to the FBI was, the idiot heard that and couldn't hang up fast enough LOL.

Kinda fun to eff with their heads.

17. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    Just yell i am not good with komputors how did i get here.

18. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My mums had a few of these calls.

She's rebuffed them pretty well by saying " Impossible we only use APPLE here!" lol ( She doesn't have anything Apple at all)

19. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    That's a clever one... :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. WarhammerTX

WarhammerTX New Member

Thanks Received:
    If anyone else gets that same call give them my number I like to play

21. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Their 'game' is weak. My mom (who knows next to nothing about computers) got one of these calls months ago and knew it was a scam immediately. I can't imagine what kind of people fall for this, but I guess even if 1 out of 100 do, its worth it to them.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
  23. Zen_

Zen_

Thanks Received:
    There's a pretty funny video on youtube where one of those rogueware peddlers calls an IT professional and they then proceed to work remotely on a clean install in a VM for about 10 minutes. Finally the guy had to tell them they were being duped and recorded....can't find it now of course.

24. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:

Now you know your king when you can get "her" to start deleting stuff and install stuff. LOL Play along next time and see how far you can get her to go with it. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    Too bad my phone blocks unknown numbers lol