1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Silent VidaBox STEALTH™ Media Center with up to 1,500GB of storage

Discussion in 'News' started by Darksaber, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    GARDEN CITY, NY – November 22 – VidaBox LLC announces a new silent media center / HTPC system, dubbed the VidaBox™ STEALTH™. Less than 3.6" tall, the STEALTH™ is a fully-featured, miniature form factor media center featuring a slot-loading DVD±RW dual-layer burner, dual analog tuners, and massive VidaSafe™-protected storage of up to 1,500GB.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

"The STEALTH™ is perfect for those who consider silence and small size as definite must-haves, without compromising or sacrificing any features," says Steven Cheung, co-founder of VidaBox. "The STEALTH™ really shines in home theaters, where noise must be kept to an absolute minimum. Our unique system design, using special heat pipes and heat sinks in conjunction with sound deadening hard drive and DVD drive enclosures, keeps the system completely silent without the use of any fans - which are a major source of noise pollution. The VidaBox™ STEALTH™ is so small an quiet – you won’t even know it’s there!"

The STEALTH™ can be configured with state-of-the-art hardware, such as the AMD AM2 5200+ Dual-Core CPU, 4GB of RAM, 7950GT video card with dual DVI outputs, or an HDMI 1.2 output with HDCP compliance. Dual analog standard definition tuners with dual high-definition (HD) tuners are also available to record up to four (4) TV shows at once.

“Best of all, the entire system is packaged in a stunningly beautiful case, featuring a black anodized finish, an acrylic glass front panel, along with premium, hi-fi style component feet,” Steven continues. “Unlike traditional, passively cooled systems with industrial-looking cases, the STEALTH™ is truly the first small form factor system that you’ll want to show off to your family & friends!”

For more details and specifications on the new VidaBox™ STEALTH™, please visit the company website at http://www.vidabox.com or call (516) 730-7500.

About VidaBox LLC

VidaBox LLC is a systems integration company focused on manufacturing premium Media Center systems. VidaBox is on a mission to create user-friendly, stable, compact, and quiet Media Center systems that work right out of the box. For more information, visit www.vidabox.com or call 1-516-730-7500.

Source: VidaBox

2. tofu

tofu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice silent multimedia PC. Look at those big finned heatsinks on the side. :toast:

Not that I would want one (or have the cash), but I'm sure the silent computing gonzos at silentpcreview would like on of these babies.

3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    balls

i wonder what a low end one costs. im sure i could build one for less than whatever they are asking. and no digital tuners? bah!

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    IF I had the money I would get one since I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time making a PC look neat to be in my Living Room.

5. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    1,500Gb thats not to bad, 3 x 500Gb HDD???

6. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Propably 2x750GB, don't think 3 HDDs will fit there.

7. VidaBox New Member

Thanks Received:
    ***Official VidaBox response***

Hello Easy Rhino!

The "low end" system costs $4399, but the next system up - the HDTV Edition - is only $4699. With the HDTV Edition, it comes with a dedicated video card, dual analog, and dual HDTV tuners so you can record up to 4 shows simultaneously!

Yes, you can build one for less than whatever we're asking, as this is an old debate among media center/HTPC forums. You can also save money by change your own car's oil vs going to a Jiffy Lube, cooking your own gourmet meals vs. eating out, building your own speakers vs. buying them outright. The extra you're paying for is the confidence of having a pre-engineered product, an all-inclusive warranty, and knowing that the unit will work "out of the box."

Many have claimed that they can build their own systems, and they surely can - but how much time do you want to spend? 100 man hours? 500? 1000 perhaps? Unless you enjoy building your own systems, tweaking them, and troubleshooting them, I'd say that it's far better to buy something vs building your own, similar to the examples given above.

Building a media center is totally different than getting a parts list and building a PC. See some independent evidence of this on http://www.thegreenbutton.com and look how many people are having issues/problems with their build - either in useability, stability, or feature-sets.

Thank you for your interest!

Sincerely,
    Steven C
    VidaBox LLC

8. VidaBox New Member

Thanks Received:
    ***Official Vidabox Response***

It's actually 1,500 GB of VidaSafe-protected storage; it's technically 3x750GB.

For the those unfamiliar with VidaSafe, it's actually the composite of 3 hard drive protection features, and not just RAID5.

a. First, there's RAID 5 - We chose this RAID type because it offers a good compromise between data protection and efficiency. If a drive does fail, VidaBox will be glad to replace the drive for you (parts and labor costs are covered 100%). You can certainly attempt to do so yourself, but note that you will have to pay for your own hard drive & void the warranty by opening the case.

Of course, if the warranty's already over, it doesn't matter at that point and you can surely do it yourself. Nevertheless, we don't recommend anyone doing it by themselves - it's quite easy to accidentally wipe/erase everything if exact procedures aren't done and followed properly. Once the system is wiped, it becomes VERY difficult to restore an operating system based on a RAID array.

b. Second, we isolate and segregate the operating system (OS) and data storage (media) drives logically. In the unlikely event of a virus, malware, or spyware attack that actually wipes and destroys the entire operating system, the OS drive can simply be wiped and replaced, without affecting the media drive in any way. This also has another benefit of easy upgrading from MCE2005 to Vista once it is available.

c. Thirdly, we load, tweak, and pre-configure on a suite of hard drive maintenance and optimization utilities that defragment & keep your hard drives in tip-top shape automatically every night without any user interaction or input. Everything is done automatically, so you don't need to be technically savvy to keep your system running at 100%.

The combination os these three features and technologies is what makes VidaBox very unique - it is not offered on any other media center systems standard!

Thanks for reading!

Sincerely,
    Steven C
    VidaBox LLC

9. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Very interesting read, thanks for the official response :cool:

10. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    That's a very good point. I'm not saying I don't respect your system (it's very shiny and fully featured), but I think that most people on a tech help forum would be fine with building their own system :). It all depends on specialities, all those points you listed. A mechanic will probably change his own oil, but makes his wage at Jiffy Lube (car shop). A gourmet chef will likely cook his own meals, but probably earns his paycheck at a 5 star restaurant. An audiophile will build his own speakers, but probably earns his money as an engineer....the list goes on. Working out of the box is fine in some cases, but personally, I'll build my own systems.