1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New smartfone choices...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wolf, Feb 26, 2011.

1. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    So for almost 3 years now I've been using an iPhone 3G and its definitely getting tired and old. bumps and scratches, lost buttons and a few bugs here and there are pusing me towards wanting something new.

I jailbroke it once but it really didnt interest me, I'm not huge on the apps, more the functionality, like a big bright, high res screen, a good camera, the ability to record video @ 720p etc.

so I was thinking iphone 4 for those reasons, but the market has heaps and heaps of seemingly great touch phones with great features that have taken my fancy, now I want some reccomendations from you guys.

what have you bought, do you like it, why etc. also I'd like feedback on the OS's, from what I understand the 3 major players are windows mobile 7, android and iphone OS.

k go
  2. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    Well I got the HTC Evo 4g (android) on Sprint, and I love it. Its got a nice 4.3" touchscreen, and is fast. I rooted it and flashed a custom rom on it, which only enhanced its usefulness (I got free wireless tethering out of it, and a number of root only apps such as Titanium backup). Ultimately, I say get an android phone, just because of the amount of customization you can do to it. However, android does have its weaknesses. Most companies are fairly slow on getting new version of android out to their phones. If you do get an android based phone, root it.

Edit: As for android phones, I think the motorola Atrix just came out for AT&T, which has a dual core proc!!!
    wolf says thanks.
  3. wolf

Thanks Received:
    at this stage the Android phone at looks most appealing and availaible to me (Paris, France) is the HTC desire HD, does anyone have one and thoughts on it?
  4. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    Pretty sure that is just like the evo 4g, so I'd recommend it
    wolf says thanks.
  5. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    I don't have one, but a colleague at work does and the battery life isn't great. There aren't too many reviews for the Desire HD out there but it is essentially a HTC evo with a different radio chip. The Evo's battery life isn't too great either (unless you're willing to root your phone to set some different CPU clock profiles or try a custom ROM). You could also get a bigger battery for it.

Don't get me wrong it's an awesome phone, it is just the battery life which lets it down.
    wolf says thanks.
  6. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    Juice defender really helps with the battery life, I can get around two days. :)
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
    wolf says thanks.
  7. kylzer

kylzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a galaxy S its not a bad phone pretty good battery life and great 720p recording only thing i hold against it is that it has no flash.
    wolf says thanks.
  8. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    i got EVO and its true about battery life but there alot of ways to make it last longer but wat it can do i think its worthed, worse case buy a btter battery another great thing about android phones
    wolf says thanks.
  9. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    Iphone 4 brilliant phone, right now typing on it streams eveything! Love it !
    wolf says thanks.
  10. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I've got an AT&T Captivate and it is just such a great phone. You should not really be concerned with battery life in this stage of the game of smartphones. Reason is that every new phone will have a faster proc/more ram/etc. and that will either drain your battery life faster, or they will just keep the battery life at the same level by optimizing the power saving options.
    The only way you would save any battery life is to get a slow smartphone(who really wants that?). But as a few people have suggested, in order to save more battery life, you either need to get juice defender, root your phone, or use a custom ROM.(you can also tweak the phone as well, ie. set the brightness, disable 3G when not using data, and other things)
    Now onto the phone itself...
    720p recording video capable
    5mp camera(no flash as far as I know)
    Beautiful high-res screen(just about on par w/ iphone 4's retina display)
    Fast 1GHz proc, 512mb RAM, 16GB on-board internal SD card, option to add another 16gb SD card taking the total to 32GB(same as iphone)
    All Android phones very customizable, unlike the iphone(which is my only complaint about it)

All in all, the Captivate IMO is in the top 5 for best smartphones out there right now.
  11. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    personally i would go to android, it has bright future. and one of what i like from android is its not exclusive, i mean you gonna have many brand that bundled with android, then all you do is match with your need
    as new os android so far could prove itself to challange older platform like symbian, ios
    but there a long way to go for android but so far it runs well
    maybe its personal but android is a new star on the stage now
  12. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I'm waiting for the Samsung Galaxy SII. From the looks of it now, its gonna be one hell of a phone.
    And it being Samsung, the camera will rock.
  13. Chewers

Chewers New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, have same issue. Cant decide stick with Apple or migrate to Droid. Currently stoped on Iphone 4 (have been used Iphone 2G and 3GS for last 3.5years) and Samsung Galaxy S. So far Galaxy S looks great, only it has no flash which in my case is not an huge issue. And the price (~280 pounds vs 500pounds for iphone 4).
  14. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i watched LG optimus with tegra and thats pretty cool, just imagine you have dual core (right now, maybe more) on your hand with multi tasking, big space for storage and so and so
    it would be too much sometimes but thats the future, i guess android would have big opportunity on that
  15. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I am on the move from a feature phone to another feature phone (currently own a Samsung D600 since summer 2006, while an ordered Samsung C3300K Star Mini is on its way). I will not buy a smartphone for the next 3 years (as I can project for now); partly because of the pricing, the lack of need for one, and last but not least the fact that I wish to find out what will eventually happen to Symbian and Meego (in all aspects that matter, like ease of use, possibilities, what phones you can find it being on and whether it is actually still alive).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. wolf

Thanks Received:
    well in the end i went all predictable like and got the iPhone4 :p

LOVING the touch screen on it, better than any phone i tried.
  17. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
  18. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    symbian looks gonna dying since nokia decide use windows in it, so on next years we gonna find more nokia with windows
    maybe symbian will last about 1 or 2 years from now before it will be switch off
    for linux based like meego and maemo. it still not clear. nokia told that they would use it on high end phone, but since nokia take windows over symbian it still in grey area
    i use symbian for now and we have to say symbian is one of stable platform but i guess its era is over. i plan switch into android next
  19. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Symbian however has gone open source, so it is now independent of Nokia. So if they improve vastly from now on and manage to impress one or more phone manufacturers they will stay alive. But it really depends on how well the Symbian Foundation will fare.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah, but nokia is a biggest user of symbian, when nokia told that they gonna use windows, symbian just lose their big user. on other side many brand decide to switch into android and it makes a hard time for symbian
  21. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    True as a fish.
    Crunching for Team TPU