1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New sound card advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Animalpak, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Something different but that should equal or even better than the sound blaster X-Fi Fatality.

Currently happy with the x-fi fatality but I noticed that many functions are little exploited in games. Sometimes I prefer the filter Dolby or DTS over that CMSS 3D, Crystalyzer.

My target, music and games faithfully reproduced.

Asus Xonar PCI-EX 1X drew my attention... Has anyone ever tried ?
  2. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the Xonar DX and it's absolutely amazing for the $50 that I paid for them. They were open box on some website (can't remember which). Coming from an X-Fi XtremeMusic, the discontinued model - similar to XtremeGamer, the sound quality on the DX is very good. The software emulation of EAX effects is pretty much indistinguishable and in some instances better. I used to get a lot of sound glitches with the X-Fi, the DX doesn't have that problem. Paired with a Sennheiser HD555, it's a fairly solid entry level 'audiophile' set up. Because of the soundstage of the headphones and the Xonar's DolbyDigital Headphone or w/e, you can pretty much hear everything in games. In that respect, it's not really that much different from X-Fi's, I couldn't tell you that there was a significant advantage. But you get really good sound quality.

Like the Creative sound cards, Xonar has a bunch of different modes for music, movies and gaming. Plus a bunch of other things that you can tweak.
  3. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    The Xonar series are some of the best PC sound cards all around.
    If you are a big fan of the analog output, get the Essence STX.
    Grab the HDAV if you are big on movies and like HDMI out.