1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New system advice on parts please.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Alcpone, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Alcpone New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all, back on TPU for some much needed advice which is needed badly please. Basically I need advice on building a system from scratch, everything needed barring the OS. Would mainly basically use it for FSX as thats my passion, maybe future proof within budget. Looking to try and keep it within 1k, probably not possible? Would want it to run it flawlessly with all the addons I have taking extra oomph. If any FSX gurus are about that would be even better. So answers on a postcard :)

PS I need a monitor also.

Thanks
  2. SirKeldon

SirKeldon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Didn't see that you finally moved the thread, so forget my question there, i'm gonna redo it here.

Are you planning to keep using MacOS (as your current iMac) in any way besides that Windows for FSX?

:toast:
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    Alcpone says thanks.
  3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
  4. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    Here's a rough ballpark estimate.

You could go cheaper by going for a smaller/cheaper SSD or omitting it completely. However, load times will decrease significantly for a game such as FSX should you opt to keep it. Perhaps you don't need a terabyte of "traditional" HDD storage... Maybe you have an external HDD or something similar - in which case chuck the extra HDD out for some penny-pinching.

FSX is really CPU intensive, especially when you dial "traffic" up to high (or beyond, with addons), thus i5 3570K. You could very well do with a cheaper variant, or perhaps an AMD system, so there's that opportunity to save a few pounds.

GPU requirements are below what I suggest, but for maximum eyecandy, you probably don't want to go much lower (opting for, say, an HD7850 or a GTX660/650Ti). Chance to save some more money.

I'd say the motherboard is spot-on, since it gives the most for money spent. You could potentially pinch up to 20GBP there, but I'd recommend against it. A dedicated CPU heatsink is always welcome to keep noise and temps down. CM 212EVO is a classic, and does well for how cheap it is. I'd leave it, but it's not mandatory.

Case is a matter of taste, so I just suggested the one I like the most. Feel free to go cheaper, down to say Xigmatek Midgard or Antec 902 or Bitfenix Merc Alpha/Beta or something along those lines.

As for the monitor, the U2312HM is blazing-fast (for an IPS), has wide viewing angles, nice colors, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Perhaps you'd like a greater diagonal/resolution, but I believe 1080p is sufficient for now. You can always add some more to get a multi-display enjoyment, FSX sure knows how to make the best of it.

The PSU is a bit overkill as far as power requirements are concerned, but you can't go much lower in price without getting lesser quality, and much less power. You could go for a similarly priced Seasonic G 550 to gain a bit more efficiency, if you wanted.

Well, that's all from me, for now. Good luck with your build, and take your time choosing your components!
    Alcpone says thanks.
  5. Alcpone New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Mac is staying as is for the wife, I have a copy of win 7 so that will be going on the new system :)

That's a good price, I was expecting much more, I never thought about a AMD system as never had one. Will it clock well, not to the edge of it's life but something for me to fiddle with :)

Thanks for the indepth description. I would quite like a SSD so will definitely consider that, I have a few old skool HDD that are still chugging along for storage, 1 is 10 years old and is still kicking into life every time I stick it in my enclosure, it will probs die now haha. Does that i5 clock nicely? Again not to the edge of its life but a good bit more than stock. A nice nvidia will do nicely as I know they are a bit better for FSX. I will have a good look through what you suggest and thank you all, muchly appreciate the help :)
  6. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    From what I have read Vishera processors do quite well. I have just ordered a 8320 myself based off the reading and from what I read a frequency of 4.5 to 4.7 has been pretty common. Here is a good thread to read up on as well. http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153443
  7. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    AMD newest CPUs are very good performers. Not quite equal to Intel, but not far off either. Definently worth considering. Add a SSD to the build and it'll be one sweet gaming rig. Also cosider that my build has a 27" monitor as compared to McSteel's build with a 24" monitor. Personally, between the two builds, I'd go with the AMD build with the 27" monitor. I built a system for my newphew using the FX6100, and during the 3 days I had it running before turning it over to my nephew, it impressed me. In everyday use, and some gaming, I couldn't tell a difference between it and my 2600k system.

Oh, and about your comment about AMD/Nvidia video cards. The 7950 is an excellent performing video card capable of equaling any Nvidia card save maybe the GTX680. And even then, with a good OC'ing 7950, it is possible to match a stock GTX680.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    This. Everything this.
    See my system specs for the speed of AMD chips and gpus, they clock to kingdom come, and without crossfire you can hit a 7950 on the head at 1.3ghz core. Max FPS of something stupid like 212... probably on Sleeping Dogs though.
  9. Alcpone New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I was to run the OS on a run of the mill 1Tb SATA HDD and FSX off a 256Gb SSD would that work out ok or would I have problems and if I was to go the AMD route would a AMD/ATi GFX card be a better performer than nVidia? Probably a stupid question but I am very much out of the loop when it comes to hardware.

Cheers
  10. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    side note: just curious what is FSX?
  11. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    depends on how much u wanna spend ,

a nice AMD setup could look like :

[​IMG]

(newegg)

well u could save a few bucks on different hardware pieces....... but if u want 3 years+ of fun that´s a setup i would recommended.......
    my old rig is build 2008 and i still run latest games in good modes, without being updated with Hardware

close to your 1k budget:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  12. drdeathx

drdeathx New Member

Thanks Received:
    What's the budget?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2013
  13. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    FSX is MS Flight Sim. And no put your OS and FSX on the SSD
  14. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Then read the OP again. He did say what his budget was. No need for caps either, we're not grilling the guy.

I suspect he means 1k in £ since he lives in the UK. Correct me if I'm wrong, Alcpone.
    d1nky, Alcpone and HammerON say thanks.
  15. Alcpone New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah 1k = 1 thousand £.

I thought the best way to go with FSX was to have it on a separate HDD to the OS?

£1200 is probably abit much to justify it to the one in charge haha.

I just want a system that will run FSX and all my addons at full eye candy with headroom for the future and so I can clock the CPU and GFX but not have to change the GFX cooler so will be very moderate clocking on that.

Writing in CAPS is not needed as my eyesight is fairly good :)
    Aquinus says thanks.
  16. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    n0tiert says thanks.
  17. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
  18. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    It'd work, but I don't see why you wouldn't put both on the SSD. You can always relocate My Documents, My Music etc. to the HDD.

That very much depends on the particular cards in question. What I will say is that current gen AMD cards are having some driver issues, which are not yet fully resolved in all games - see the last few articles at http://techreport.com/graphics/.

Anyway, he's my recommended build. It's a little overkill, as FSX is a fairly old game now, and your budget is £1000. You could play this game very comfortably for half that. I'm presuming here that you're into overclocking. I'm also presuming that you don't need an optical drive, what with it being 2013 and all.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Bh17
    n0tiert says thanks.
  19. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    hi,

i think you have been introduced to enough systems....
    it´s up to you to pick one and make your choice
    they all run FSX smooth..... take your gear

if u find some betta & cheaper let us know, we all gonna buy there then :p

:toast:

if u count all mail & send fees u are over 1k :p
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  20. Alcpone New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies. I will have to make a decision on what to get, most likely a AMD chip with a nVidia card. With FSX taking up a fair chunk of 200Gb on my current system I might need to get a chunk sized SSD : )
  21. Alcpone New Member

Thanks Received:
    What do you guys think of this setup? Anything that won't work together?

Cheers

Attached Files:

22. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Not bad, but I'd consider the FX-8320, since it shouldn't cost much more and you get a fantastic CPU for heavily threaded applications. Not sure how FSX is threaded, but I know most simulation-based games tend to go bananas when it comes to threading, so it may be in your best interest. It also buys you a tiny bit more future-proofing.
  23. Alcpone New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you think a faster 1gb gfx card will be a better buy than a slightly slower 2gb? Cheers
  24. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    No, invest in a 2Gb card, you will be glad you did long term. A powerful 1Gb card will work better until you run out of VRAM which hits your performance a lot harder than a slightly slower card with more VRAM.
    Alcpone says thanks.
  25. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    Why that particular case and PSU?

And what put you off an SSD?

Also, what are you going to use the optical drive for?