1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New System Build! Help please!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by compzak, Oct 10, 2006.

1. compzak

compzak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys,
    I am building a system with the following configs. I need your help in finalising it.

Processor:
    AMD Athlon64 X2 3800 (AM2)

Motherboard:
    Asus M2NE Lifestyle

Memory:
    Kingston 2 GB DDR 533

Hardrive:
    Western Digital 100GB Serial ATA Hard drive (2 nos)

Video Card:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT 256MB or
    XFX Geforce 6800GS 512MB

Case + Power Supply:
    Zebronics AntiBiotic Black Mid-Tower. Pic
    Zeb 500W SLI Certified Power Supply

DVD Burner:
    Lite On DVD+16x Burner w/ Light Scribe

Sound:
    Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 DE (Old! I know, but still love it)
    Creative 5200 5.1 Speakers (Dont wanna change for now)

So, that's it!
    What does experts have to comment on this? Especially the motherboard. I am not interested in SLI, So couldn't find a better one without it.
    And regarding the Graphic accelerator, which one would be better?
    Any suggestions would be defenitely appreciated. :respect:

Cheers,
    Zak.
  2. Track

Track New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bottom line is, u need Core 2 Duo. It costs the same as an Athlon 64 X2, but its A LOT better. If u dont want the 300$ E6600, then get the E6400/E6300.
    Your going to want a dual PCI-E x16 motherboard, if not for SLI then for Xfire, it will save u a TON in the future. Get 1 graphics card now, and upgrade to another when DX10 comes out. The X1900XT will ensure u performance similar to the X2K series in Crysis and over.

Remmember, get the 256mb X1900XT. Also the Zalman VF900/Accelero X2 coolers for the graphics card and a Zalman CNPS7700 or better for the CPU.

Processor:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300/E6400

Motherboard:
    Intel D975XBX

Memory:
    Kingston DDR2 800, NOTHING LESS :mad:

Hardrive:
    WD 250GB Serial ATA (best value, 100Gb not enough!)

Video Card:
    X1900XT 256mb, the most unbelievable thing ive seen im life! same price as the 7600GT and its the best card on Earth.

Case + Power Supply:
    Zebronics AntiBiotic Black Mid-Tower. Pic
    Zeb 500W SLI Certified Power Supply

DVD Burner:
    Lite On DVD+16x Burner w/ Light Scribe

Sound:
    Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 DE (Old! I know, but still love it)
    Creative 5200 5.1 Speakers (Dont wanna change for now)
  3. compzak

compzak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Forgot to mention it bro! I'm a trublood AMD fan. Wont go for intel in the near future (I dunno how long though). Maybe I'm a loser, but nothing but AMD for now.

I am getting two 100GBs!!! I want to do raid (0), that's the reason for two!
    Wont it be enough??

This has to be taken into account! I'll do a price/availability search tommorrow! But it's normally hard to get ATI on this side of the world.
    Dude, Thanx for the suggestions.

BTW, any suggestions on my Asus M2NE motherboard??
  4. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    nice system
    but if you're planning on overcloking that board is a pain in the ass, i've hit 2700mhz with a 3000+, and that board isn't SLI capable, so i would go with one with the nf570sli, or a 590sli
    some mushkin memory will do fine, ddr2 667 or 800
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    go amd and the only things i'd recommend you changing is a slightly better ram (667 at least) and a good vid card maybe an x800/x850 heck if you wanna go cheap get a sempron 2600 and oc it :D those get 3ghz easy
  6. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    No, it isn't a lot better, just by a small margin, amd rules in games now and forever :D
  7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    for now and for ever let u say SCREW INTEL they screed everyone who purchsed p4 proccies for the same cost you could get amd a64s' for a massive performance increase and they want us to jump on the bandwagon the 1st good cpu they make F*** you intel keep up good cpus and maybe forgive and forget but for now AMD FTW
  8. Track

Track New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, the Core 2 Duos are by far better then the Athlon 64 X2 series (the AMD counter CPUs to the Core 2 Duos price/performance wise). Not even the expensive FX-62 CPU can stand against an E6400 and an overclock, while its abt 1/3 of the cost.

The Core 2 Duos are MUCH better mostly when it comes to games, while the AMD CPUs are still better in applications that would require a Quadro/FireGL graphics card, for 3D graphics making applications.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/14/core2_duo_knocks_out_athlon_64/page12.html#games
  9. Track

Track New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, u shut up. We have a rational conversation and u come in here with ur prophanity! Go suck whatever ur into.

We present facts, not idiolism. My case is stronger because i have benchmark proof that Core 2 Duo is better then anything AMD has right now. AMD will release the FX-64 soon, but thats only for the highest-end market and Intel will win that with the X6900 anyway.

Price/Performance currently favors Intel. It was AMD for a long time, but not its Intel.
  10. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    *Looks at infraction menu next to your post* Ahem :).
  11. Track

Track New Member

Thanks Received:
    Infraction? :confused:
  12. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    i gotta dissagree about crossfire or sli, i would rather save the extra $ and eather spend it on other parts or save it up to buy a next gen card or next next gen card when i feel i need it, i dont see that happening anytime soon with my x1900xt, added a zalman vf900 cooler to it and it clocks way past xtx clocks ^^

what i listed for you will easly clock that chip to its max, and will take any future chip you throw at it as well, and when i need to upgrade my video card(well after i upgrade my 2.7gz am2 chips im SURE) i have the $ waiting.

most people who get sli/cf boards never endup using them for sli/cf, i know alot of people who have replaced 2+ dual gpu mobos that never put them in sli or cf mode.

and the top reasion for it is that new cards come out with new fetures, say ps4/5 support that current cards dont have, why have 2 older cards missing fetures when you can have 1 kickass up to date card?

oh the ONLY advice i have about this biostar board is 2 things, 1.update the bios asap the stock ones have a stuck multi(10x) and 2. replace the chipset fan with a vantec iceberq copper chipset cooler(like 10bucks) its quieter and cools the chipset better ^^

this board truely rocks, easy to overclock, bios fetures like a dfi expert board, easy setup, bios/cmos settings saving (great for when ur overclocking/tweaking for perf, u can save tested settings b4 you tweak for more perf)

http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sisubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=53;t=000082
    bios screenshots for the unbelivers/intrested :)

and latest bios
    http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sisubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=53;t=000129
  13. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    thank you ashensugar for a good post finally unlike track and russianboy who appearently just wanted to piss about amd vs intel (i know what i said but it was true p4=crap) honestly just wait till next summer if you can and get 2nd gen dx10 (or the super cheap dx9) vid card and a 65nm amd if you cant wait that long get a sempron (8x multi or higher) the rest of your stuff 'cept a better vid card an x1900 like they said are really good ;)
  14. compzak

compzak New Member

Thanks Received:

Aaaah!!! That's it bro! AMD & Intel duos can go on fighting while we build decent systems with AMD. :nutkick:

I use my computer for mild gaming! Yup, I dont play heavy 3d games always. Dont laugh, but after Maxpayne, I haven't really much cared about 3d FPS gaming. But, I like to play driving games like NFS **anything, Test Drive *, F1 etc and sport games like FIFA etc.. Yes, a bit of a sissy type you can say. :p

I am not an OC type of a guy. Cant really get the kick out of it after I burnt 1 CPU and a geforce2 some years ago! So forget it.

@Ashensugar; The PSUs you've listed are hardly heard by the sellers here, so forget those being available here. Even Thermaltake is rare. Antec is available but then you've to pay thru the nose to get a decent one. :banghead:
    The PSU I have selected is the only heavy duty PSU available here and that too only available On order!!!

BTW, which is better to opt for? 7600GT with 256MB or 6800GS with 512MB??

Guys, thanx for those advices and I'll keep you updated with pics!!!
  15. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    7600GT hae fun w/ your AMD system
  16. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    the 6800gs is better :)
  17. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    pt they are about the same, the 6800 is faster in some tests but dies when HDR is used.

compzak: where are you located?

enermax,raidmax,ttgi/superflower,sparkle and such are avalable in euro and oceana(sp) last i checked.

if you let us know where you live maby we can help you find good deals.

and if you can get a good deal on a x1600xt i think you would be happyer with it then the ones you listed it does AA/AF better with less perf loss compared to 7600/6800 cards, also look around for x1800gt cards as sometimes u find KILLER deals on them, my buddy in germany got one for 138bucks (us conversion of euros) cheap cheap cheap compared to the compotition.

like i said let us know where you are maby you will get lucky and somebody here can link you to better deals.

and from what i found about Zeb psu's wasnt promising, "heavy duty" means diffrent things to diffrent marketing departments.
    i have seen psu's rated" heavy duty 650watt" that cant power a system with 2hdd's+9800pro+athlon64 s754, convercly i have a couple old enermax 300watt psu's that have been powering x800xt pe a64 systems that are overclocked and have 4 seagate high draw hdds in them for 2+years now without any problems.

quility cant simply be judged by what the company selling it or making it claim, you also gotta look at what the thing acctualy is and can do.

sparkle=fortron source's other name(same company just diff sticker)

:)
  18. compzak

compzak New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am located in India. :banghead: Nothing heavy makes it to this side of the world as long as PSU is concerned!!!

Ok. Antec is the way to go then???? The thingy is bloody expensive here!!!
  19. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    probbly antec, if you cant find enermax or one of the other top brands, avoid no-name generic psu's.

also may want to check if you can order from another country and have it shiped, tho it may endup causting you the same eather way :(
    save up and take a trip to the us, buy parts at newegg :p
  20. compzak

compzak New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd love to man!!!!! You guys are so damn lucky!
    Anybody wanna sponsor???? :cry:
  21. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    i feel your pain compzak, i wana go visit my buddy in korea for a few days, 22in lcd for 150bucks, 2gb high end ram kits for 75bucks, its crazy, he made a whole computer for under 500bucks that is equiv to a $4500+ alienware(but amd not intel)

i could hit him with a stick for his luck lol
  22. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    holly sh..t
    i got to go to korea sometime :D
  23. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, they make ALOT of the stuff there so you can get it cheap, INSAIN prices,