1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New system, new problems.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by thesonglessbird, Oct 4, 2007.

1. thesonglessbird New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've just upgraded today from an athlon 64/radeon 9800 to core 2 quad/gf8800 gts.

A few strange problems however:

First off, the system will only boot when the case is on its side. When it's stood up, nothing displays on screen and there's no hard drive activity, just the usual clicking of drives and whatnot.

Secondly, not a huge thing but still a bit annoying is when I shut down and turn back on or restart, the system begins to boot, then turns itself off, then on again before booting.

I'm also getting quite a lot of crashes (i'm using Vista). I'm not sure if this is related to the case being on its side on a carpeted floor or not, although the CPU isn't getting overly hot.

It's all currently stock cooling with one small fan on the case and a 450W power supply.

Any thoughts?

2. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like either the PSU or you have a loose connection with one of your wires. Double check your power connections and make sure your GPU is seated properly. What are your temps (BIOS or otherwise) when you can boot? Check those, but my bet is the PSU is having issues (going from an athlon and 9800 to quad/8800 is no small jump in watts!). What brand PSU?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
    thesonglessbird says thanks.
  3. thesonglessbird New Member

Thanks Received:
    Turns out it was dodgy memory. Upgraded my power supply, but i'm still getting the weird startup sequence. Not to worry though, it's only a minor annoyance!