1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New to HDD.. How it work?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HiddenStupid, Aug 14, 2007.

1. HiddenStupid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pretend I want to buy addictional HDD. My current HDD is internal 160gb 7200rpm 2mb cache. If I buy extrenal HDD 7200rpm 8mb cache... Will it add up to my current internal HDD? and do I have to wipe everything on my current HDD?

My current HDD is internal with 2mb cache... can I add additional external HDD 8mb cache to add up together even if the cache size is different?

Will the HDD add up together? or I must replace it?

2. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You'd need to buy another internal drive of the same kind and same space then you could raid 0 them into one big drive. If you get an external HDD, you'd just have two different drives to store stuff.

3. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    If you buy an additional external HDD or internal HDD it will appear as a seperate drive on your machine (much like a CD drive does). You will not have to wipe your current disks.:)

4. HiddenStupid New Member

Thanks Received:
    So umm.. If I buy addictional external HDD iyt will be seperate? How does it work? Pretend both the current internal and the new external are installed.. all of the stuff that I store goes in the current internal? or do I have to choose which to be store at? or since the current intrnal have 160gb and when the 160gb is used... it will auto store on the new external?

Is it a set and go? I have internal HDD and want more space... I go buy external HDD any size and any cache and install and done?

5. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have two hdd's. One will be "c" (your internal) and one will be either "d" or "e" depending on how your system is set up. So you just pick the drive where you want to save stuff.

6. HiddenStupid New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh ok

Is there anyway for me to make the external HDD to be my primary? without wiping everything on my current internal HDD?

7. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    If you connect it via eSATA it could be your primary yes, via USB it can't simply because Windows will reset the USB bus upon loading drivers. I wouldn't recommend setting an external disk as primary though.

8. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Usually when you buy a hard drive, you simply add it into your computer and format it cia control panel/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk management. you right-click the drive and format (do not use quick format). Then I forget if you assign it a drive letter or if Windows assigns one automatically..

Crunching for Team TPU