1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New to oc and advice

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by sharat, Oct 30, 2011.

1. sharat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi All, I have finally got my new build up and running.

I7 2600k
    asus p8z68v
    Kuhler 920 cooler
    8gb corsair vengeance 9-9-9-24
    xfx 6750hd 1gb
    ocz zs series 750w psu
    ocz 60gb ssd for os
    Win 7 Ulti 64b

Iam wondering how to and what to do, as far as using the built OC tool in the motherboard or go in and do them myself. Or use the asus ai program and do the fast oc or the extreme( does both cpu and ram)
    And how can i do the vid card, it needs a little boost.
  2. Neuromancer

Neuromancer

Thanks Received:
    Depending on where you live and what the environment is like, fast OC is probably more than enough for you. If its cool enough though and you have good case flow, try teh extreme OC out.

ASUS software throws BCLK into the mix, so you can use that to determine a 24/7 stable BCLK and adjust the CPU and mem multiplers on your own to get a bit of extra performance if you do not feel like finding your BCLK by yourself.

CPU clocks should easily do 4.5 GHz depending on your case/fans. Extreme should push it to 4.6/4.7

Not saying that is an "extreme OC" just saying that is about where the extreme setting will clock you too. Unfortunately it also tends to drop our RAM mul;ti to keep it under "stock" (IE my 2133 gets dropped to 1866 and BCLKed up to about 1950.. but at 2133 timings.)

Also at stock 1600 MHZ is fine, but if going past 4.5 GHz I would try and get RAM speed up to about 1866 if you can.
  3. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but I am just going to throw it out their that you do not need to really overclock that CPU to do anything.
  4. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I believe Neuromancer summed it up quite nice.
    Here's my take, use a Windows based OC'ing tool. And manually raise the CPU multiplier one step at a time, each time you will have to test for stability, once you run into instability, bump the CPU's vCore Voltage a notch, and continue this process. It's slow but dam rewarding. Yes it takes time but once again dam rewarding.

Be sure not to OC your RAM, you can always do this later on, what you are trying to do right now is figure out the best stable CPU OC first. Though I think your ram speed is more than enough.

Now once you find out your stable OC, convert that info and input them into the BIOS for a permanent setup.

Good Luck,
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    God what has this forum come to windows based oc??????

Google around find an average clock setting set it to that in the BIOS and see if it works. Trail and error from then out.
    Conflict0s and JrRacinFan say thanks.