1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New to Overclocking, just need some Advice

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by aeirion, Mar 4, 2009.

1. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I recently posted in the system builders advice area, and got a lot of helpful tips in designing my system. Everything works great, but now I'd like to tweak it's preformance a bit.

I'm pretty new to overclocking still, but I have a basic understanding of it. I've been doing some research into people overclocking the same processor I have, and what sorts of results they were able to get. I've noticed you can get it anywhere from 3-4.5ghz if accounts are to be believed.

I'm not using any sort of specialized cooling system, but my case has 5 fans if you count the cpu fan, and the processor idles at around 15 degrees celcius. So I figure I have some room to work with here.

I've tinkered with over clocking it a bit after watching this video as the person who is overclocking here has the exact same motherboard, and processor as I do, and is going for a similar clock speed as I hope to achieve (I'm actually looking for around 3.2, but 3.4 wouldn't be bad).

Anyway, I tried editing my FSB speed, and memory speed as done in this video, except with a slight downgrade (he enters 272, and I used 260), and each time I did this the computer would reset the clock control option back to 'disabled'. It's pretty anoying and I suppose I'm doing something wrong. I will note I didn't manual change the voltage as shown in video, as when it was on auto it adjusted itself to the voltage he manually put in.

Any advice would be nice.

Oh and I also had a weird problem when I tried to save the bios, it would act like it was restarting like normal, and then never complete the restart.. so yeah.. something to think about.

My full specs are:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L

PSU: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W (everyone said this would be gay, but I love it works great, so does just about everyone who uses it. Make sure you check some reviews of it before you tell me I'm gay, just because it says RAIDMAX.)

Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

CPU: Intel E5200 Wolfedale

I guess thats all you'll need, but if you want more info, hit meh up :)

And of course, I'll really appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

Thanks a million you crazy denizens of techpowerup forums!

-Aeirion

2. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so a quick update of what I've done.

Updated BIOS to F8

Researched the board, apparently many people who get this board also get e5200's like myself, and I've only found one person who's had a similar problem, except in his case if he changed the default FSB settings he couldn't get past post.

I've tried various voltages ranging from 1.2v-1.4v

I've tried various ratio's for my memory

I've eaten blueberry bagels

I've tried using the windows based utility that comes with the Mobo, Easy Tune5 Pro..
    It won't make any permanent settings, same problem.

So basically I'm figuring after spending the better part of 8 hours working on this that something is probably wrong with my motherboard, though I would really really really appreciate some advice in this area.

I've noticed this thread has gotten 36 views or so.. I wish someone had had something to say my head hurts... argh.... :(

3. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh I also, set the FSB speed to 150 just to see what happened, if it would at least save my lowered clock speed, but it didn't make it to post.. got some error, luckily my mobo comes with dual-bios so it just reset back to default values. Hmmm oh I also looked on the gigabyte website nothing mentioned, and various websites like overclocker.com or whatever that is... and yeah.. just can't find any info on this... every once in awhile.. I go into bios and tinker around... I don't expect much... and my clock control option.. oh yeah.. it's always freshly disbaled when I log back on... oh yeah.. my life wins.

4. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Get memtest and test your ram and see if you get any errors...May be a bad stick of ram!!

5. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    do you have your RAM linked to the CPU in your bios? If you do, try OC'ing your CPU with the RAM unlinked. On my set-up, if I run my RAM linked it'll OC my RAM too high (around 1300 mhz) and my system won't even post.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have CPUz, and according to that, and the windows welcome dealie my ram is working fine, or do I still need to try that memtest program?

Also how do I go about unlinking my RAM, I haven't seen any options for this thus far in my bios.

7. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would mess with the volts and keep a eye on your temps. Also you should throw your system specs in your profile. That way you dont have to enter it in to posts anymore and it helps us cause its quick reference.

8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    aeirion

Wouldnt worry about unlinking as that nForce chipsets only, you have an Intel chipset.

As far as everything else, try 266fsb (1066 effective) 12.5 multi, 1.33v cpu core, and 800mhz ram with 2.0v dimm voltage.

9. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can't really set the ram ratio I don't think with this board, or at least get it as precise as exactly 800mhz, but I'll try it out :) I only have options such as 2.25 I think.. 3.33, and 4.0+ oh and auto.. :p

I just successfully (I think, I kept tinkering with it, and never went to windows to check it out with cpuz) got it to an FSB of 235, and then it crapped out, but at least I was able to get it to load up without it disabling the option... so I guess i need to raise the voltage I'll try that it if your 266 doesn't work, and I'll report back with results.

10. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Um... ok this is odd. In the BIOS it says that the specs you gave me work... yet CPUz, and that thing at post that mentions your processor speed say otherwise. So now I'm kinda lost here.. why's mah bios'a'liar?!

11. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Lemme guess 6x266?

Disable Spread Spectrum, EIST and C1E

Here's my low voltage clocks that are above 3Ghz and under 1.3v cpu

[​IMG]

EDIT:

I have a feeling for me to keep this clock 24/7 I will have to add +.02v

12. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I don't have any experience with Intel chipsets. Jr knows what he's talking about alot more than I do, I'm gonna sit back and learn now. :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Um.. I dont' want to seem like a total noob, but I guess I'll just have to put myself out there :)

What the heck is EIST, C1E, and Spread Spectrum? I've looked through all my bios menus and haven't seen these things, or how to go about disabling them.

Also it's at 12.5 not 6 as the multiplier..

current stats are:

FSB: 266
    DIMM: +.1v
    CPU: 1.36v
    Multi: 12.5
    Memory: (2.25 I think? on that weirdness I told you of earlier) 711mhz

These settings are in bios, restarted and checked like 3 times to make sure, but when I get to my desktop CPUz, Windows Welcome Center, and Easy Tune5 Pro all say I'm running at 2.5ghz

14. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh yeah I noticed in your pic you posted your rated FSB is 1066, mines at 800 if that means anything special

15. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    711 is fine. What version CPUz? Can you post a screenshot for me?
    EDIT:
    For some reason your overclock settings arent sticking OR CPUz isnt detecting your cpu and bus speeds properly. Same version as myself, 1.49?

@BarbaricSoul

Sorry, didnt mean to make you sound like you dont know ur stuff man. :ohwell:

16. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just checked your stuff, everything is the same. But uh, just so you know I'm not completley braindead :D I'll giveth thee the this mighty screen shot!

Oh and no offense was take brother, I don't really know my stuff (at least as far as OC'n goes) that well :p

I WANT YOUR BRAIN!!! AHHHHHH!!
    wewt i made this photo bucket account just for you!

17. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    ah so yeah hopefully this will have the pic in it... ok it does but it doesn't look cool.. damn it.. how do you do cool img stuff.. :(

Attached Files:

18. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
  19. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah, unless you're at work, why don't you just give me a call [NOT MY PHONE NUMBER] I'm verizon, so mayhap it will be free, it would probably be a lot easier via phone comunique. I promise not to try to seduce you either, and I'll hold you to that same standard... XD

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  20. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    May want to edit that phone # out and would rather continue to post as someone else may come along with ideas and thoughts for you to try. Mine have just about ran out though for the moment. I was researching trying to find a mobo manual for your board and well GB's site is down at the moment for me to read up.

21. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah, I done edited it away now.. hmm...

gigabytes site is working fine for me, the page for my mobo is mobo

and the manual is: mmmm download

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  22. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh and here is a bit of product review on the board from newegg.. reviewed by 122 people, and it seems a good portion of them are running the same CPU as myself.

mmm... reviews

23. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh and you never mentioned what those 3 things were (EIST, Spread Spectru, and C1E) are... I might still need to turn those off or something.. :(

24. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    EIST= Intel SpeedStep = Lowers multi when cpu isnt under load/stress

C1E = Lowers CPU voltage when cpu isnt under load/stress

Spread Spectrum = reduces EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference)

EDIT:
    But I am getting the manual right now, I will look over it and see exactly your bios lay-out. We can then go from there. Oh and another forum user who I beleive has that board is SkyKast.

25. aeirion

aeirion New Member

Thanks Received:
    And where would I go to disable them, if not the bios, as I don't see those items in there.