1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New to TPU - Advice on a new system I snagged for £300

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by ...PACMAN..., Nov 22, 2012.

1. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    Eventually, I just keep trying different games and gawping at the graphics at the moment :laugh:. I have quite a few on Steam and and a few more on Origin to try out and then I'll be actually playing something properly, so BF3 could be my multiplayer game of choice :).

EDIT - When I played Crysis and BF3 my jaw dropped a few times lol)

2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I would OC that 4100 due to its lower performance in gaming to a stock 3570K. You gotta remember MM that you have a higher end chip than a 110$ quad.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/700?vs=701

...PACMAN... says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I highly recommend jumping on the TPU Teamspeak 3 server with us, we play plenty of games, and most of us could assist if you did want to OC something or offer any sound advice. It's also great fun to make fun of the british on there ;)

4. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    Yeh this chip needs as much free performance as you can get from it but it certainly feels very snappy, even at 4.4Ghz.

@RCoon - Thanks for that I may take you up on that offer at some point, just let me finish drooling :)

5. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    The 8350 will be a great upgrade for this machine and the price is not too bad. I personally am going to get a 5800K APU once I start back building my HTPC.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    While it is cheap as chips and moderately low end compared to the latest chips, it is still an AWESOME gaming chip for the price, but i think you would drool a little more if you got yourself AMD's latest chips, which dont cost much more (everyone else will scream at you to get a 3570k or above if you ever think about upgrading). I couldnt be happier with my 8350, it eats all my gaves alive with 60fps and above.
    As far as I'm aware there is a huge clock potential in the FX 4100, I'll be online from 7pm GMT onwards tonight.

7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah if you are gonna OC you should come on TS with us. There are a few older members on there that can really help you from making mistakes. Just don't act like a dick.......if you are that kinda person they will make short work of you.

8. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Correction, MailMan will make short work of you ;)

9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    My chip is higher end? I thought it was old by TPU standards. :laugh:

You would be surprised. Some of the other members can be BRUTAL if you get out of line. I can be the voice of reason!

10. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Yea dave is a really good person to talk to on these chips and others. He is TPU's motherboard reviewer and he OCs these things 24/7.... come to think of it I think he lives in his basement like dr jekyll performing mad experiments on PC hardware LOLZ j/k

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup. And then you have Crazyeyes and Erocker who are pretty good too. Not to take anything away from other members but Dave, Erocker and Crazyeyes are the only three that will take the time to help you out when it comes to OC. I help where I can with trouble shooting other things when I can. My knowlage can be limited however.

brandonwh64 and ...PACMAN... say thanks.
  12. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I can certainly help with OC'ing FX chips, but mailman is right, Dave and erocker helped me out a great deal with OC'ing my graphics and have a vast amount of knowledge you can tap into

13. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    This place is awesome, PC gaming is awesome and Xmas is just around the corner. I'm a happy man and my gf loves me more now because she can play Wow on Ultra lol.

What could possibly go wrong........cue el cheapo PSU blowing up taking out all the components, burning down the xmas tree and presents in the process and my GF dumps me. :)

14. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Yeah be gentle with that PSU man, you have some nice components in there. It wouldnt be christmas if something didnt go wrong!

15. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    Just going to test Bad Company 2....I loved the first one on 360, lets see what......wow, you mean Haggards face really wasn't meant to be that jagged around the edges? DX11 max details makes the xbox look like a fisher price toy, just saying :)

16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Leave the OC until AFTER you get a new PSU and some better cooling. When you do OC TAKE YOUR TIME WITH BABY STEPS. Baby steps in voltage, timings and have patients most importantly.

17. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    @PacMan

Been trying to keep up with your thread. You truly are getting top notch assistance here with Brandon & MailMan. Listen to the guys they know their back ends and can assist you in covering your own. As far as overclocking goes, don't, not on that cooler anyways(you found this out though already). For coolers, I say pick a few that are inexpensive and post them here. If you were to order online it would be through scan or ebuyer I presume?

This is the first time I have ever seen the word "baby" with "overclock" in the same sentence.:p

18. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Compared to a FX-4100 yes its higher end.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Don't get used to it, and it is a good thing you got a taste of it before it is gone, and before you ask, it didn't die to consoles.

Casuals and their tablets/phones look to take everyone here out of the equation to a certain extent. Well be glad to have anything left after a lot of the grim news to be had lately.

Anyway, glad to have you here at TPU.

20. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Some people are recommending a 800W+ PSU on this thread. Can anyone give me legitiment reasons why?

21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Not me sir.

22. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    only recommendations i see are 650 and 750 for future proofing, though on my system I'm running 850watt for 2 cards and 8350

23. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Looks like I may have been reading in to a prior post wrong. In terms of futurerpoof, well I would hope that in the future, power requirements go down instead of up.

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  24. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    So far they look that way, and I'd like to think it would stay that way. Maybe when fabrication processes are as small as they can be and people start stacking cores on top of each other we'll start seeing an incline :roll:

25. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    wow was looking through the entire thread and you are getting great assistance, post some stuff here about your system like pics and such, that's such a killer deal for 300(E sorry don't know how to type it)