1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New to watercooling, looking for coolant..

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ChristTheGreat, May 26, 2014.

1. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I'm new to this. Just ordered an XSPC raystorm D5 RX240, as my starter kit. I did want to have a D5 pump external, and low price :)

The kit doesn't come with coolant.. Here's my need:

-Blue color
    -No need to do alot of maintenance
    -if it can have all the anti-corosion and bacterial stuff..

Or I am open to any suggestion :)

Thanks alot!

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    new o-rings from an auto parts store does wonders for that kit, the stock'ers are a bit thin and flat to be of much use without wrenching in the fittings.

I too would suggest water inside, and tubing in the color you seek. Also with a lot of the clear tube out there, if not properly cleaned on setup, even sometimes with all that effort, the tubing will yellow over time and visibly change color. With colored tubing, unless something very light in color, it hides this much longer, allowing you not to have to disassemble the loop as often.

4. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    The only real issue with coolant is buildup in the blocks, which over time can and has restricted loops. Mostly it just looks nasty and is a real pain to have to disassemble blocks as well as the loop to get rid of the leftovers from the coolant. Honestly I have a loop here I filled with distilled water 2 to 2.5 years ago, and I will be honest, all I have done is remove the fans and blow out the radiator to maintain it.

6. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    Distilled water only? or other stuff like anti bacterial, and corosion? ou anything?

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I just use water from the jug I get for like $1.09 at the local Walgreens. No additives, no drops of anything. I have access holes in the radiator, and have drawn water samples. Without it being in the light, the copper in the loop seems to keep most of the funk from forming. I am in no way condoning that you be lax in loop maintenance, I am just saying, there is a lot of "hype" over this sort of thing, and plain old distilled has not let me down so far! I have however had to peel apart loops with coolant to try and see why performance was going south, only to find diverter plates and inlets and outlets coated with colored nastiness.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  8. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    Well to be fair, either route will have its downsides and in the end it just comes down to they both work. I would suggest to you if you are serious about using coolant to try the PrimoChill Pure as I have liked the performance and the fact that it really works as advertised (Talking about the non-conductive part).

As stated you do not have to do maintenance as often on the recommendations area, but normally even with distilled water you do not have to change it as much as it says you should. Its more of a recommendation to avoid it becoming conductive again or causing corrosion among other things in the system however good quality components have already alleviated most of this and you can put a nice kill coil in to alleviate any extra problems.

I personally prefer coolant, but that's just me.

sneekypeet says thanks.
  9. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    this is quite difficult to choose with what to go haha. I already have the tube with the kit, but if it is easier to buy colored tube then used water..

Instead, the primo looks nice. Do you have to do maintenance with coolant aswell? or you can use it for years? I can deal with changing every year, this is not an issue. Anyway I always open my computer more than 1 time a year...

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    the only reason i didn't use 100% water in my custom loop when i had one was because i was refrigerating my home made reservoir with some innards of mini refrigerators.
    used some anti freeze just in-case i managed to get the water to freezing point.. that never happened. by the way..
    What did happen is my loop kept getting full of some funky organic looking material which peeved me off.
    this could have been because of all sorts of stuff. (mostly bacteria and fluoride from the tap water)
    So dont use that lol.

i had it running off a fish tank filter pump. because i didnt think the one that came with the thermal take big water was pumping through enough water.
    If i was setting up a custom loop again. i would use the fish tank filter pump again. that thing had epic pumping abilities.
    I would want some heavy duty piping probably similar to hydraulic fluid pipes, and one thing i learnt. the bigger the reservoir the better.

oh i went back to air as its less maintenance btw. and those tubes dont last for ever either. its also a pain in the arse cutting them exactly the right size and flush so they sit right.

11. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I do not change coolant but like once every couple of years unless im doing maintenance to swap video cards or the likes. I have not had any problems with the recent coolant choice and systems though in the past I did have an issue with one of my earlier builds having a bit of a residue and loosing a bit of waterflow in some waterblocks due to a build up. But with my current system, no problems for me and same goes for a couple of friends who use distilled water or other brands of coolant. I find in this day and age, maintenance on these is becoming something that's not really needed so long as you stick with the good quality components and from manufactures who have been in the game for quite some time.

As far as the coolant goes, you should not have to do anything for a couple years. But I would also say the same with distilled as one friend has a GTX 580 system that has had the same distilled water since he built it.

12. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I used to use Mayhems Coolant, but it shifted color within months and I got awful service when I tried to get support.

I've been using distilled after throwing out the coolant and it works great. The best move is colored tubing, for sure.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    maybe you could use colored tube and distilled water since its safer and easier if you wanna flush it

14. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    I am using distiled water 90% + antifreeze 10%... No problems ever encountered with that...

15. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    you still ran into which issue?

BTW thanks all for your feedback, I appreciate!

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I ran into some contamination issues in my Koolance water blocks on my GTX 580(s) and the Koolance motherboard water block for my ASUS Rampage III Extreme. I had used distilled water and a silver kill coil for a couple years in different builds with no problems. However after the problem I had a couple years ago, I decided to spend a little bit extra on coolant to help. further protect my investment in water cooling gear.
    Again - that is just me:)

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    distilled water and a kill coil is all you need all DYE ever does is make a mess and ruin water blocks

19. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    Already plotting my next build and it will be liquid cooled. Good stuff in this thread. Now I don't know what i wanna use