1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new to watercooling

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by d1nky, Jun 24, 2013.

1. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    hey, im about to purchase an xspc raystorm RS240 kit.

i also want some monsoon compression fittings and because im vain want some red hose.

i have been reading and watching guides to watercooling for a couple weeks now, but sizes are still alien to me.

IM A NOOB, so with this kit
    http://www.xs-pc.com/watercooling-kits/raystorm-750-rs240-watercooling-kit

what size fittings would i need?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search_results.php?keywords=monsoon compression&sortby=priceDesc

and what size hose?

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/cat/Hose-and-Accessories_38.html

i kind of guessed hose would be dependent on fittings and vice versa. but which is best for me and what do i need.....

my shopping list also includes

distilled water - would 5 litres be enough for a couple changes?
    biocide
    couple more fans

thankyou kind fellows.... and yea its about time i got a waterloop lol
    Knight091 says thanks.
  2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    congrats on going watercooling :D
    d1nky says thanks.
  3. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince New Member

Thanks Received:
    Overkill

Unless you want to water-cool your graphics card (Witch voids the warranty) then I would suggest something like this,
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_23&products_id=22307
    instead of a full water cooling system. The fact that its self contained means you really don't have any issues with warranty voids due to water damage, and its also a hell of a lot easier to install.

Also the Corsair water-coolers are close on silent, and draw minimal power.
  4. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    G1/4" fittings with 5/8" Outer Diameter and 7/16" inner diameter, as that is the specification of the hose you are using with the kit.
    I recommend compression fittings.

5 litres of distilled water is a little OTT.

This is an enthusiast site, dont knock the guy for going watercooling, and as long as you contact the card maker beforehand, they will agree it will not void warranty.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    springs113 says thanks.
  5. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Depends, if you want to make a CPU only loop the fittings and tubing that is bundled is enough for you to make the first loop.

Anyway if you get that kit you'll need 7/16 fittings and 7/16 barbs. Don't mind the G1/4 that's the connection thread that goes on the other side of the tube and gets screwed to the components (rad waterblock etc), that' standard and it does not change for watercooling, unless you buy strange fittings like G1/8 threaded.

I'd get BI-distilled water to be honest.

If you could splurge a bit more and get the D5 Raystorm kit you'd have the best to start with, components you won't change anytime soon.
  6. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
  7. Judas

Judas

Thanks Received:
    Congrats on joining the water club =) Id would go for a thicker Rad, and the kit comes with tubing
  8. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
  9. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Such a thick rad might not fit in his case,you would also really want to use push/pull with such a rad which makes it quite space consuming.
  10. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Why Push+Pull on a 63mm thick radiator? Push or Pull is fine enough because it's a low FPI radiator.

You need to watch FPI more than thickness to judge if you need more air pressure :)
  11. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Read the product description, its specifically made as a low FPI rad, so you wouldnt need a huge amount of air pressure. Just push fans would be fine. And D1nky is all for looking badass. That big radiator looks badass.
  12. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
  13. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

This is a helpful post here
    Thanks go out to Juggalo23451

G1/4″ to 1/2″ Barbs [come with the kit]
    Clear 7/16″ Hose [come with the kit]

Quoted "7/16 inch-people use this size tubing on 1/2 barbs for a tighter fit/seal
    1/2 inch" from Juggalo23451 guide

Yes
    Good
    Try and get hold of HIGH static pressure fans if they are to be mounted on the rad, there are a few post's on TPU about this.

Tip: get a T fitting barb and a stop barb attached to a length of tube [T Line] for the base of the loop, makes for easier draining and maintenance and dont forget to pre-charge the pump with fluid if the res is not directly above it, flow res out; pump out;cpu waterblock in to center barb with the other barb at the top [lessons the chance of air bubbles getting trapped in the water block] keep the tube as short as possible without it kinking or folding. [always test the loop outside the case before fitting and check for leaks]

Edit: Water cooling case suggestions here
    Thanks go out to Juggalo23451

nb: have to agree with Jack1n; the Zalman is a great air cooler, but not ideal for H2o cooling without mounting the rad externally or hard modding the Zalman z11+

atb (all the best)

Law-II
  14. Judas

Judas

Thanks Received:
  15. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    That EK 240L kit is a particularly good one, though the hosing is black.
  16. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    wow so many posts!

ok i know the case doesnt fit much in, but im enjoying modding atm. i may even cut out the front bays and have it vertical at the front.

it will be 4 performance corsairs push/pull

im also planning on get a little cylinder res for drainage etc

i dont want to spend too much money, i want monsoon fittings because ive heard and read they are pretty good and better for seals.

this is just a start of a kit, tbh im not really planning on watercooling my gfx yet. until i get a second card at least. but a full plate is about £80 which...... not yet!!

ocuk have just emailed me to state the order number i want to switch - so it has to be ocuk as they got my money already lol

this is just for my cpu, and overkill is the best kind of kill. and if doesnt fit in the case i got other options - new mod and ive been offered a 800D for cheap.

i thought 5 litres of distilled was a bit too much, but i can freeze some up ;)

anyways im buying the kit now and probably the fittings later today

pulled the trigger on the xspc kit

and about to order:

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/M...Compression-Fitting-Six-Pack-White_33609.html

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/M...-15911mm-716ID-UV-Reactive-Red-33m_12119.html
  17. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    thank god because i was getting confused with that part!

apologies for Double post teh other was full lol

btw those othe rkits are about £160+ i dont want to spend too much money, as i havent got much left lol plus the monsoons/seperate cylinder and the rest totalled about £200
  18. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    You are basically going to get a 6-pack moonsoon right? I don't like them though, probably cause I'm a traditional compression fan :)
  19. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    yea, ive just heard theyre best for seals, and well im a noob and dont want to take any chances. plus they loog pretty damn good!
  20. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Why not just buy one of their complete kits, the OcUK Tech Lab - V8 Watercooling Kit 240 is pretty good, just replace the fittings later? Colour the water red afterwards?
  21. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I honestly don't know about that but well tightened traditional compressions aren't going anywhere.
  22. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    The XSPC starter kits are pretty good, but I heard that the versions with the d5 pumps are much more reliable than the kit that includes the 750.
    The d5 versions of the kit are more expensive, but they come with compression fittings instead of barbs. I have been using mine for months with no leaks so far.

I own both a used and new d5 raystorm kit, and they are awesome.
    Welcome to the club. :D

PS Watercooling is addictive, I have spent money already on more fans, rads, hose and fittings to expand my loops and tune for both performance and quietness! (and seriously thinking about a new case and more parts)
  23. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    ive ordered the Rs kit now.

the reason i dont want the other kits is the cost theyre all about £180 whereas this was £130

the compression fittings are just for aesethetics and incase im crap at barb fittings lol
  24. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Man what you've said...
  25. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Barb fittings are fine, its just the RS kit has plastic barb clips. Not entirely sure id trust them. I could always order the same one as you and we can board the fail train together. Then I'll just mount my H100 to my 780 instead.

That RS kit did get a half decent review though.

EDIT: Bought myself a kit, only with 1 litre of white fluid, so i dont have to buy biocide or white tubing! Should arrive at work tomorrow sometime.
    d1nky says thanks.