1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New trojan StormWorm plays off weather fears to get itself installed

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Jan 20, 2007.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    StormWorm shows a disturbing new trend of malware authors- playing off victim's fears. Instead of using classic baits of sex or celebrity information, malware authors are using a hot news event to get people to click their links. Malware authors are sending emails with the subject "230 dead as storms batter Europe", which has a link to the storm worm where a news story ought to be. Security firm F-Secure says that the worm is just a variant of Small.DAM, but it definitely has an unusual install approach.

Source: The Inquirer

2. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    scum, they need hanging up by their testicles, now theres an element of cool to hackers attacking corporations etc, but things like this are targeting your average (and not necessarily pc savvy) home user, who will end up paying their local pc store silly money to remove them (or in people i knows case, getting me to do it for free)

assholes!

3. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:
    yup

4. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I agree, but it shows that hackers (evil kind) and all that, are becoming more clever in their attempts to affect people. Always play it safe.