1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new video card for old analog TV with s-video

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by jollicat, Oct 15, 2010.

1. jollicat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying to find a respectable ATI card (hd4650 - hd4870) that can 'feed' my old analog widescreen TV (not HD Ready) 'good old' (crappy) s-video output. I came across this XFX card:

http://xfxforce.com/ecms.ashx/16675a0b-c386-469b-b416-1a894c4c100d/GraphicCardSeriesRelated_RelatedGraphicCardModels17/HD4870_PS_US_104.pdf

If you scroll down you'll see a photo of the back with what looks like an s-video output, although the caption says hdtv. Now, if you scroll down even further, you'll see a table that under "output" says: 'S-Video, Dual DVI, HDTV'.

So, I wonder what's going on here. Can this card provide that 'good old' s-video or will it be some new sort of "S-Video HDTV" that my TV can't handle?

Thanks.
  2. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    It means that the resolution output on the S video is able to be higher than old s-video plugs. OR The DVI is a HDTV in fact really its just the sound that is not like in the HDMI plug but DVI or HDMI its still both numerical instead or Analogic like S-video, RCA and VGA plugs.
  3. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    S video is S video its been the same for 23 years, It has never changed. Use that for your tv as i doubt it has DVI :)
  4. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even there...this card is too powerful for an old TV ...buy it if you are planing to buy a HDTV later. like that you will have the s-video plug one DVI plus you remain like that and one DVI plus you put a DVI-to-HDMI adapter on it but the sound wont be there.....ahnevermind find a card with s-video, dvi and HDMI on it so it will be able to bring the sound and video in one cable later if you buy a good tv :)
  5. jollicat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys. Spot on MohawkAngel ..I AM a bit of a poor bastard who for now can only spent a budget on a pretty good new system ..the TV will have to wait ;-)