1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Video card Purchase for 3 displays

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Cybrnook, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Cybrnook

Cybrnook

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys (and girls), it's been a while. (Lost my password and never got a new one) ANYWAYS---- I will be upgrading my 4850 soon and kind of want to change my setup a bit. I have a Dual monitor display (Both monitors are using DVI), but I now want to hook up my Flat screen TV for Movies. (TV using HDMI preferably) I want to know if there is a 4890 that will support 3 simultaneous displays or a 4870 perhaps. I am looking at the 4XXX series still since I am not gaming that much anymore. BUT I still do throw some Crisis on and some Bioshock, Dead Space etc.... (Hopefully Alan Wake one day)

Or would I be better off paying the premium for one of the 5850's as they seems to have Dual DVI and HDMI??

What would you guys recommend?

EDIT: Also, for the new 5XXX series , do you guys know if its possible to run Eyefinity on 2 displays while having another independent display. (Running my dual screen as a split screen, then having the TV as a second monitor)
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    if you don't need the TV to be an independant display you can just buy a DVI splitter. They are only about $10 and will simply display the same on 2 screens. you can just turn the monitor off when watching movies.

that is the cheapest way. :)

You could also just buy a second HD4850 and crossfire them, that would give you 4 independant displays :) plus the extra gaming horsepower
    Cybrnook says thanks.
  3. Cybrnook

Cybrnook

Thanks Received:
    Forgot to mention, no splitters :) Would be too easy. Problem is, I have a SUPER short attention span, So I am always using my Dual monitors for different purposes and would like to have the movie running in the background (for guests too). SO , I will NEED (and needing is a responsibility) three independent displays. I had/have a second 4850, but thats in my little box downstairs.

More so, I would like a single card solution as Heat is really starting to build up in my case and I am barely able to control it now.
  4. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    that makes it a little harder :)

I have seen HD4870 cards with 2 x DVI + 1 HDMI port. I am unsure though as to whether you could use all 3 of them together. Probably not :(

I will see if I can hunt 1 down.
  5. Cybrnook

Cybrnook

Thanks Received:
    Thanks :) I'm peeking on the Egg at the 4850x2 and seems it would work, but I don't want to but the x2 version of the same card I'm using right now. (I would want it to be an upgrade as I have already done 4850's in crossfire) PLUS, I read that with something like that, you can run port 1 and 2 ONLY in 3D mode, so no 3D on the TV if needed.
  6. Cybrnook

Cybrnook

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  7. jagd

Thanks Received:
    No 3 outputs will not work at sametime .
    your options
    1-Wait for 5850/5870 reviews ,theyll be out tomorrow .
    2-Buy a cheap 4350 or another card for TV but im not sure a cheap card will be ok or not since you wanted 3d .

You can use only 2 output with crossfire for now (waiting eyefinity reviews for 5850/5870s for new gen cards).
    I would wait for 5850/5870 reviews, copy /paste from anand "Any configuration is supported, you can even group displays together. So you could turn a set of six displays into a group of 4 and a group of 2. " http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3635 .the card for press demo was a special editon 5870 with 6 Display port outputs reguler 5850/5870s will have 3 outputs
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
    Cybrnook says thanks.
  8. Cybrnook

Cybrnook

Thanks Received:
    Thank Guys. 5850 I have decided on. I got the itch and it needs to be scratched now :)