1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NEW! Wii-U Will Feature ATI GPU

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by alexsubri, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It's behind the glorious PC.

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i dont see the issue it looks like borderlands cartoony and gross.

I really hope through hasslefoff is right. that consoles dont start doing what PCs do more.

HOWEVER I think it is fine that they do what they currently do such as HDD installs as long as they upgrade the logic boards to include the ability to use stuff like 6gb/s that way I can install SSDs

3. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    True

I do dream,... IF There Will BE Another METROID,...... Then,...

4. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Well this is a step up from the original reports of the WiiU having a 4800 series GPU. Now it'll have DX11. But it is a step down in terms of power. Instead of a high end chip it'll be a midrange like M$ and Sony are going. Still, vastly superior to the others currently. Nintendo better make the most of it's 1-2yr performance lead. I expect better from Nintendo. I expect them to make M$ and Sony look foolish for sitting on archaic consoles for way too long.

5. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    The Wii U won't necessarily have DX11, since that's wholly owned by Microsoft.

I'll be buying a Wii U for this generation, I like Nintendo. Always have.

Lionheart says thanks.
  6. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I already pre-ordered it. the 32GB SKU is sold out in the US so good luck getting one at launch lol

DannibusX says thanks.
  7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    I'm also going to pre-order one, same 32GB SKU model :toast:

Can't wait for it:D

8. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    They'e selling like hotcakes! I'm patient though. I'll have one at some point within the next year.

9. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I'll surely buy it after the first price drop. I still have a ton of Wii games to plow thru anyway.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Guess Nintendo has another "flop" on its hands like the Wii. :rolleyes:

11. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    i wonder if we will see a remake/similar game to Xenoblade in the Wii U? >_>

12. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Monolithsoft is working on a new IP for the Wii U.

13. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    actually that's incorrect. the Wii U does use 25GB disc but there not blu-Ray

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    yeah it's proprietary. probably HD DVD with their own security like Microsoft. no way Microsoft and Nintendo would license Blu-ray.

15. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    well we know the discs are 25GB and HD-DVD never came in 25GB(only 15 and 30 to my knowledge) then development stopped on it, but it could be CBHD also, thats still in development and is based heavily on HD-DVD

but other than that I would say theres a good chance its blu ray, and nintendo is paying fees to use it.

16. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    it's not Blu-ray. there is no Blu-ray logo on the box and Nintendo would have put it in a press release.

Nintendo calls it the Wii U Optical Disc and it's supplied by Panasonic. it's a format similar to Blu-ray.

17. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Po-ta-toe, poh-tah-to.

The disc technology is Blu-ray, without the licensing required for Blu-ray. Neither Nintendo or MS will support a Sony based format... M-disc anyone?

What I fail to see is why in Hades any of this matters. You've got a media that's prone to scratching, and extremely sensitive to such, on a gaming console. I've got scratched DVDs from the xbox and PS2 that barely play, which would be spit out as junk if they were higher density discs.

I think that the increase in storage will directly, and negatively, impact the life of these games. If you could load information onto the HDD (sounding like a PC yet), so that the disc could remain somewhere safe, I'd see this as a step forward. Unfortunately, the math doesn't look great for the little Nintendo that could.
    25GB disc -> 32 GB storage -> one game per console...

Adding a HDD, if Nintendo doesn't screw the pooch there, will allow for multiple games. At that point though, why not just get a PC? $300 for a console + $80 for a 1 TB drive (very low end mind you) + $ 300 for a full complement of controllers ($80+ for the Wii, with additional features is what I'm extrapolating this value from) = $680. I can make a very capable computer at that price.

Show me the direct competitors of the consoles. You're pointing at the PC, no? A device that can play games, support multiple media types, serve as a media storage device, and occasionally be used to get actual work done. The $200 console, that became $400 when fully loaded, could compete with a PC at that price point. A console that pushes deeper into the wallet, while not providing the features to compete with the PC, is asking for failure.

All logic aside though, Nintendo will sell millions of these things.

Brand recognition, first party titles, and blind console preferences will move them off the shelf. Having owned a Gamecube, consider me jaded enough to know that one or two first party games a year will not float a console. I hate where MS is going with Durango, but the media center integration is a very nice cornerstone to build upon (read: MS actually learned when XBMC was developed). Sony is banking upon the Blu-ray, and would have been infinitely better off if they retained the Linux support they initially promised. Nintendo, once again, is inching forward just enough to stay relevant, while milking the teat of nostalgia until it will give no more.

Consider me happily playing my Steam games, 10bit mkvs, and enjoying what the internet has to offer. I think I'll stick to the PC. The stack of pristine media makes it easy to get older games up an running, even after spending hundreds of hours playing them. I might not get Halo (for years) or Mario (ever), but I can always find a game worth playing. And the final nail in the coffin, I don't have to worry about getting auto paired with simpering fools when I go online (read: CODkiddies and teabaggers on Halo). The PC is far from perfect, but consoles are getting worse as the generations progress.

3870x2 says thanks.
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Its Blu-Ray. 25GB disk? What else could it be?

19. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Panasonic is part of the Blu-ray forum so it'll be a blu-ray-but-not-blu-ray disc if that makes sense. Nintendo doesn't need a blu-ray license as it won't play blu-ray discs and more likely than not will use a different format structure (meaning it won't be an AVCREC, RE, R, or ROM disc and as such not subject to a license).

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    hd-umd

21. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Wii U will play Wii and Wii U optical discs both proprietary made by Panasonic. it will not play Blu-ray, DVD, HD DVD or Gamecube.

the Wii U comes with 8 and 32GB of flash memory. there are 4 USB 2.0 ports so you can hook up a external hard drive. the ROM speed is pretty fast so i'm not sure it's necessary to install games. adding a external hard drive is great if you consume a lot of eShop content.

the GPU and CPU are the only unknowns at this point.

22. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
  23. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    [yt]vv-4iFKWl1k[/yt]

one more thing Nintendo said they will launch 50 games by March 2013.

judging by the montage of blood and violence at the end of the press conference and all the third party developers on board. it's pretty clear Nintendo is trying to turn over a new leaf.

24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    They are trying to finally Cater to the Core Gamers, not just the Kids ages 11 and below or Adults 40+

25. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I do too. Always had every nintendo device as a kid... then I got a bit older and found out about pc gaming. Probably wont go back...

Crunching for Team TPU