1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new win 7 ultimate install on ssd's need help

Discussion in 'General Software' started by d3fct, Apr 18, 2010.

1. d3fct

d3fct

Thanks Received:
    hi all, today i installed 2 patriot 32 gb ssd's in raid 0, loaded win7 ultimate got into windows and i cant access my other hdd, sata 500gb baracuda. it shows up in the device manager, and in the bios, this hdd hold's my other os and all my music, movies, etc. my plan was to run the ssd's for the os and some games i play regularly. all my stuff is on the other hdd but i cannot access it. this is also my first time using win7, im pretty sure when i had 2 baracuda's in raid 0 i had used a 3rd sata drive for storing data i didnt want to loose, that was in xp.

So i guess what im gettin at here is there something i need to do in win 7 to make that hdd show up and be usable, or should i just go back to xp?

2. Cybrnook

Cybrnook

Thanks Received:
    Right click "My Computer > Manage > Disk management" and activate your drive. Also, turn off UAC if you use it. (My recommendation)

And just to clarify, your not trying to use 1 of the 2 drives you used to have in raid0 correct? If so, this will NOT work. You cant break a raid0 and retain your data by using one of the remaining disks.

3. d3fct

d3fct

Thanks Received:
    it shows it as unallocated, and no its not part of the raid its a 3rd separate drive.

4. wrathchild_67

Thanks Received:
    I think the 500GB drive you're using now is not actually the 3rd drive from your original setup but rather one of the RAID drives, that is if all 3 were 500GB drives. Just a hunch...

5. d3fct

d3fct

Thanks Received:
    well somehow the hdd i wanted to use for storage was corrupted somehow, i tried to do a check disk with the xp repair console, and it told me there was an unrecoverable error. i formatted it and all is well, back on xp too didnt like win 7 very much.