1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New XFX 5770

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Cja123, Dec 24, 2009.

1. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    I tried running Heaven once and don't think it worked. It's kinda buggy and fairly useless. If temps are okay in games and you're running fine, then meh on Heaven.

2. Cja123

Thanks Received:
    Lol^ alright man

3. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    No problem, as for temps...we all have different situations on that since we're all in different places and have different cases.

I doubt that your card would get up to the same temps as Furmark (mine hasn't) if you were playing a game. To knock that temp down further the only options are to

1. turn up the speed a little more
    2. get better case airflow
    3. lower the clocks

Make sure that when you're testing your clocks you do them individually to find the max limits. Once you know that combine the clocks, and see if they play well together. Here is a few shots of what kinda results you can expect with your card. Of course the scores themselves might be different, but the ratio of clock to gain should be fairly similar.

100% Stock system
    [​IMG]

Gpu 1000Mhz core clock only (stock processor/ram/etc.)
    [​IMG]

Gpu 1025Mhz core clock 1440Mhz memory only (stock processor/ram/etc.)
    [​IMG]

Cja123 says thanks.
  4. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    The heaven benchmark has worked out well for me so far, but I haven't tried running it at high clocks yet. I'll give it a go later to see what happens. :)

Kei

Cja123 says thanks.
  5. Cja123

Thanks Received:
    This last one is insane, I don't think my card will every be able to touch those clocks. Anyways, ran heaven at 1320 mem and 940 core and it was stable. max temp was 70*c
    EDIT- After burner won't even let me set 1000 mhz core. It just goes back to 940 when I hit apply.

6. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Yeah Afterburner is tied to CCC and doesn't go past their max. I think mine maxes at 960 though. AMD GPU Clock Tool or something supposedly lets it get higher.

Cja123 says thanks.
  7. Assassin48

Thanks Received:
    Been working on a review for the XFX 5770 v1 ( full cover ) scores so far
    these are CF ( 2x 5770 )

3DMark 03 Stock
    [​IMG]

3DMark 03 Overclocked
    [​IMG]

3DMark 05 Stock
    [​IMG]

3DMark 05 Overclocked
    [​IMG]

3DMark 06 Stock
    [​IMG]

3DMark 06 Overclocked
    [​IMG]

Vantage Sock
    [​IMG]

Vantage Overclocked
    [​IMG]

Game Benchmarks

Street Fighter 4
    Stock
    [​IMG]
    Overclocked
    [​IMG]

Kei and Cja123 say thanks.
  8. Cja123

Thanks Received:
    well guys it seems like furmark was the culprit for my outrageous temps. While playing mass effect and running heaven, temps stayed in pretty decent shape (not going over 70). Thanks for everyone's help, I will keep this thread updated with my overclocking results over the next couple of days.

9. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    My card has more left in it I know, I've had the card up to 1500Mhz memory and 1050Mhz core clock but didn't run any benchmarks/stability because it was late into the morning hours. :)

As for MSI Afterburner limits, you can get around those because they put an 'off switch' to the max clock limits in the program. An awesome member on the board turned me onto how this is done and it works flawlessly.

Simply open up the config file for Afterburner and chang the "EnableUnofficialOverclocking" setting from 0 (off) to 1 (on). It's at the very bottom of the config file. Once you do that the limits for the core and memory clocks are raised by a huge margin. You won't have to worry about hitting the new limits on the program because they're sky high anyway. You will also gain access to changing the voltage as well. With regard to that, if you decide to change the voltage at all please be absolutely careful with what you try! You're already having temp situations now so remember more voltage will raise that further. Stock voltage for 3D clocks is 1.125v so remember that, and only move up in small increments. I've never been above 1.20v though I have HEARD of people going to 1.25-1.30. Please note that at that voltage on a stock cooler you are absolutely in the realm of danger if the temps get high. Pay attention :)

AMD Gpu Tool does infact allow you to go much higher than the CCC or MSI Afterburner limits, however you lose fan control which is a large tradeoff.

Kei

10. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, but since I have no fan issues now, probably not such a big trade for me. May give it a go when I get home. :)

11. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Use Afterburner and modify the config file...no tradeoff + saved profiles. :D

Kei

12. Cja123

Thanks Received:
    Well I may have figured out what is going w/ my heat problem. MSI afterburner showed that my voltage was stock at 1.2v
    EDIT-Well it seems 920 core is my max OC for 1.125v. Temp hit 69*c in heaven benchie with fan at 50%. Still kind of hot no?
    Damn without that low voltage idle thing going, this card idles at around 50*c lol

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  13. Cja123

Thanks Received:
    Well.. after some pretty extensive testing it would seem as though this cards core clock is limited to around 915-920. Even at 1.2v I could not get much more out of it. Due to the cards tendency to heat up, I think I am going to RMA it and get a replacement, see if it gets any better clocks. Let me know your opinions please.
    EDIT- Reason for RMA;
    Heat issues during the summer. It is winter here now and pretty damn cold. Ambient temps are low and this thing is still getting hot. I don't want this card to deteriorate due to high summer temps lol.

Kei says thanks.
  14. Cja123

Thanks Received:
    Oh guys... I was also wondering if my power supply may be the factor limiting my overclock. Today I was testing and I got 940 on the core and 1380 on the mem. This gives me a heaven score of about 654. Anyways, while using afterburner, I began to realize that every time I jumped the voltage over 1.74, heaven would always fail. It's the same story with pushing the clocks up to or past 950, heaven fails every time, regardless of how much I push the voltage up. My power supply is in specs, it's a corsair 520w. I was reading on another forum, forgot where, that an overclocked 5770 can take up to 390 something watts. If this is true, could my power supply possibly not be up to scruff?

15. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    easiest way to tell. Take the OC off the CPU and ram and set it all to default voltages. Then see if the cards can go higher. If they do, chances are the PSU isnt enough.

Seriously, unless the PSU is old, I would assume it to be enough to get the job done.

Cja123 says thanks.
  16. Cja123

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,
    RMA'd my card and got a new one back. So far this is what I have stable. Ran the Resident Evil Benchmark and got a score of 65.4 FPS. Keep in mind my system is at stock right now. Except my GPU of course :).
    [​IMG]

17. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

On the 57 cards I think the fans are stuck to spin are 25% or something retarded.

Try upping fan speed OP!

18. Cja123

Thanks Received:
    Heat isn't a problem anymore Panther =). That was the old card.

19. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I noticed after I clicked post, I just prefer to keep my posts up as they were XD

20. Cja123

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:;)