1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Newb Motherboard Install Question

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by bruins004, Apr 23, 2006.

1. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,
    I got a wierd question.
    I just got my Abit KN8-SLI motherboard.
    There are eight holes w/ metal around it on the outside of the board so it can be screwed into the case.
    I was able to get 7 out of 8 of these since the last one(located on the bottom left corner) is half behind a plastic piece and I cant get the screw in.
    Then there is a hole in the middle of the motherboard (just like any other ATX motherboard case), but this one does not have any metal around it for grounding.
    So my question to you guys is should I keep the studs in these 2 holes and not bother screwing them in?
    If not then what should I do?
    Thanx.

2. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    take em out or leave em in it dosnt really matter..

trog

3. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    bruins004

System Specs

Lol...I must say it is sad for people to answer who have little clue about SLI and Crossfire. Please do not listen to DRDNA when he says it will be close to an X1800XT. He is misleading you.

There was a nice article of Crossfire and SLI and how they worked here on techpowerup.com. I am too tired to search for it, but it is around here somewhere. The idea is to try to extend the life on older cards. I used to want to do SLI/Crossfire, but was turned off when I found out the truth on it. When the cards are SLIed/Crossfired, there is only (at max) a 10-15 percent increase. That rarely happens. In most games there is only a 5-10 percent increase in performance. Thats why it is always better to shell out more money for one great card, then just 2 mediocre cards. In my opinion SLI/Crossfire is only worth it if you can afford the 2 best cards on the market. Then I can understand that, but for a low/mid range card, SLI/Crossfire is not worth it. So save up for an X1800XT (they are coming down very nicely in price).

Oh yea and DX10 cards will not be out until 2007. So ATI and Nvidia will release more cards until then.
    RIG #1 - See sign.
    RIG #2
    AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ (939 pinset), Abit KN8-SLI, 2 x 1GB OCZ Plat., XTASY X800 128MB, WD 250 GB HD, NZXT Nemesis Elite Case, Lite-On Combo Drive and Lite-On DVD RW Drive, Antec TruePower 550W

FINIALLY THE TRUTH COMES OUT THERE FUNNY GUY.
    LOL FRIGGIN LOL YOU ARE FINIALLY BUILDING A DUAL CARD SET UP!!! DUDE YOU ARE TOO FUNNY ...YA I DID NOT FORGET ABOUT YOU !!!

4. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope not building a dual card setup(look at sig only one GPU)...Just got this motherboard since I got it really cheap (spent about $40 on it BRAND NEW). And I gotta say I feel sry for you.